GTR Forum banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
How did the dyno session go Andy?
Hi Sean.

Well I had the car on Paul's Dyno Dynamics the other weekend and it made 750hp but torque was capped at 600lbsft right across the rpm band after 4k as we'd only been doing remote tuning with Litchfield's at this point.

So off I popped to Litchfields yesterday for a couple of things. Genuinely I couldn't sleep on Tuesday night I was that flipping excited!

1. Handling kit to be installed...

I always felt that the change from runflats to MPSS lost some of that point and squirt directness in the steering. Well the handling kit and geometry changes (coupled with my already installed Litcho Suspension kit) have certainly changed the steering feel and car behaviour under braking. Steering feel is now heavier with a greater "back to centre" return, the front is far more direct than before with much less understeer especially during quicker steering inputs at speed through tighter bends. The dip at the front under braking is much less pronounced such that the car feels much more stable trail braking into a corner than before. It doesn't get upset by the change in direction when the front is under load caused by braking.

I like it.

A lot.

2. It took 5 hours to fit the kit and then change the geo so Dan only got my car on the Dyno at around 4.15pm! Two hours later he'd played around with a fair few things and produced the following dyno plot..

840 bhp with 680 lbsft of torque tapering to 600 lbsft at the redline is a great result and more than we might have expected from turbos rated at 750-800 bhp. These turbos were an unknown quantity - very little info around on them and TTE won't tell me anything! - so I'm happy with the result.

The dyno testing yesterday highlighted two issues that'll need addressing later this year.

Firstly the ASNU 330lph pumps struggled towards the redline so I may need fuel pump upgrades if we are to go higher than this.

Secondly my IAT temps were getting very high on the Litchfield Superstock Intercooler. Iain had warned me when I was researching my build that this IC was unlikely to be good enough for over 750 bhp but of course I didn't listen and to be fair I never thought we'd be heading over 800bhp anyway.

I'm gonna have to start saving for the Race intercooler and remove my front mounted trans cooler. That is very much a legacy item from the days when tracking meant £800 trans fluid changes at an NHPC. These days with FFL4 Racing at £240 for two changes, I may as well remove that and add the bigger IC for protection of the engine under load.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Awesome, such a well set up car.

Are you planning any track days over the summer? Be interesting to test out the new power and handling upgrades I'm sure!

There have been a few Intercoolers going in the for sale thread recently that should be good for 900bhp and could save you a few bob, may be worth a look?

·
Premium Member
5,873 Posts
Hi Sean.

840 bhp with 680 lbsft of torque tapering to 600 lbsft at the redline is a great result and more than we might have expected from turbos rated at 750-800 bhp. These turbos were an unknown quantity - very little info around on them and TTE
Sweet results!

so TTE7XX turbos how much are they? and how do you find the real world spool, on the road...

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I bet you are well happy with them results , guessing there is a bit more to come with a better intercooler as well
Thanks Terry, yes its better than expected from a power perspective, woudl have been nice to see an earlier spool on the plot but on the road it's barely noticeable.

Awesome, such a well set up car.

Are you planning any track days over the summer? Be interesting to test out the new power and handling upgrades I'm sure!

There have been a few Intercoolers going in the for sale thread recently that should be good for 900bhp and could save you a few bob, may be worth a look?
Track days are planned although none in the diary as yet.
Yes I've seen those intercoolers but I cant help myself pining after one of Litcho's Race ICs. I think my family will holiday in Wales this year....

Sweet results!

so TTE7XX turbos how much are they? and how do you find the real world spool, on the road...
Thanks buddy!

I bought these off Matt from Garage-R, and as far as I'm aware they're not available anymore. TTE do a TTE1XXX turbo setup now for some reason.

On the road the spool feels just like stock if I'm honest, certainly not aware of any lag. I know the plot doesnt look as early to rise as the EFR series blowers but I have nothing to compare too.

I'm so bitten by this bug now!

I really thought I'd be happy with 8-850 bhp but I cant help thinking some EFR 6758 or larger EFRs might be fun to have too....

The EFR 6758 wont necessarily give more power but will give the best throttle response as that torque curve hits 600 lbsft a good 1k earlier than mine does right now.

Decisions decisions....

Reactions: Tin and Chronos

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Very nice results dude, I'd bin the front mounted trans cooler, or move it to the rightside, and open up the panel. Race IC really makes a massive difference, and the pipework is alot shorter too :)

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Very nice results dude, I'd bin the front mounted trans cooler, or move it to the rightside, and open up the panel. Race IC really makes a massive difference, and the pipework is alot shorter too :)
To be honest Tin I'm thinking on binning off the trans cooler as I'm not sure it worth moving it. The core supplied wing fit in that offside area as it's long and narrow with fans attached and trans temp just aren't the issue they were.

Race IC is so so so so so so tempting....:nervous:

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

So I only went and bought one of Litchfield's Race intercoolers...

So Paul and the gang at Riverside removed my Superstock intercooler and SSP front mounted trans cooler. We also found my Tial QR Bovs and GT1R air/oil separator don't fit with the Litcho pipework.

So Litcho Bovs en route for install tomoz followed by a little logging for Fan again.

Is there any more from these turbos I wonder?!

Also gotta get my spare bits up for sale asap!!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
This is turning into an epic build must be over 2 years in work now
Any plans on tracking it soon? Cant believe Anglesey was 8 years ago now...

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Wow Paul 8 years!! And what a biblically wet weekend that was!

Engine build didn't really get fully completed until April when I finally managed to get down to Litchos for a Dyno session.

Once this IC is in I'll need another session to see what else we can eek out of these blowers.

Yes Terry my friend. ''Tis a slippery slope....

Reactions: dinny

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Another update.

My car now has 78k on it with effectively a brand new engine. So after careful deliberation Paul at Riverside racing sourced me a low mileage 2015 box.

He then transplanted my Xtreme Clutch kit over to it and added:

Trans Brace
Dodson 1st gear and shaft
Uprated selector forks and some other bits!

Now the shifting is just buttery smooth especially when on WOT.

Now just need to book a day down at Litchos for another dyno run.

Reactions: Chronos and Tin

·
Premium Member
5,873 Posts
Another update.

My car now has 78k on it with effectively a brand new engine. So after careful deliberation Paul at Riverside racing sourced me a low mileage 2015 box.

He then transplanted my Xtreme Clutch kit over to it and added:

Trans Brace
Dodson 1st gear and shaft
Uprated selector forks and some other bits!

Now the shifting is just buttery smooth especially when on WOT.

Now just need to book a day down at Litchos for another dyno run.
ace! what gearbox software? 2013?>

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
ace! what gearbox software? 2013?>
Good question buddy. It's a Litcho TCM map so I'm not sure. V5 at present as not had an opportunity to update to V6.

AFAIK Litcho have never described their TCM maps as LC1-5 etc certainly not since using Ecutek.

I've had every imaginable TCM map over the years from LC2-5 to Modified Nismo and The Litcho TCM and ecm maps are the smoothest by a significant margin.

I can now finally plant my foot with gusto and fly through the gears.

I spoke with a Paul today and he told me my old gearbox was in a sad state when he took it apart. Solenoid were dodgy, as were most gears, synchros etc.

Well worth me upgrading to this newer box with uprated parts.

I forgot to give some feedback on the Race IC. What a difference to throttle response and overall engine eagerness this has made.

Top upgrade.

Reactions: Chronos

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I must say I don't like the 2016 gearbox as it feels like a torque converter at low throttle openings and low rpm when changing 1 to 2, basically it's to refined and not hardcore enough for me like the old 09 car...
Are you planning on tracking it this year and
did you get the cam chain changed?

Cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Funny you should say that Paul. Even though this new box is a 2015 it still drives very similar at low speed to my old one (albeit smoother with less occasional "moments" of odd jerkiness and jumpiness). Maybe that's the software?

Yes we used completely new timing chain hardware so new chains and guides etc.

Also new oil pump too.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Just added the Import Racing Brake Booster support kit.

Brake pedal feels so much firmer now. Me likey

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
build

Lovely build thread mate . Really enjoyed going through it . A shame I cant see there earlier pics . Can you tell me does your engine hunt or lumpy ( breath heavier ) at all on tick over or is it nice and smooth idling ? Just i"ve often wondered if with todays mapping and technology if this is a thing of the past now ? Cheers :thumbsup:
ps . ignore about the pictures as they must just needed time to upload , so now been back through your thread drooling over your pictures, lovely job..

201 - 220 of 251 Posts