GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 238 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Winding the clock back before you sell it for a Skyline?
No need to wind it back. The way R35s ar holding their value I could wind it forward 30k and still make money... :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Then it has to be to update the blue background on the LED dash....
Spot on my friend.

Also fixing my failed illumination behind the water temp and fuel gauge given my cluster is out of warranty.

Got my Osram Blue SMDs at the ready, just gotta get some time tomoz evening to do some soldering.

More to follow before the weekend.

Also waiting on my new front end to update mine to a 2011+ look.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Lol I hope they're more pearly white than bright blue!!

These pesky 4 leg smds are a damn sight harder to work on than teeth that's for sure. They're so flipping small to solder. :runaway::confused:

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well all done. Decided to do the whole board with brighter smds and did the gear change in blue too.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That's should be a darn sight easier on an R34. If I'm not mistaken once you have the cluster out you can simply swap out the bulbs for led ones. The R35 required de soldering the smds off the board itself.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That looks great. De-soldering, small tricky job?? or complete PITA
All in all it wasn't too bad but each stage was tricky for it's own reasons.

Step one was getting the cluster out. I found an online guide but cut quite a few steps out by just removing one piece of the lower trim under the wheel housing and accessing the 4 10mm bolts that hold the cluster in place. They are at an angle so needed an articulated spanner joint to release them.

Step two was getting the speedo apart. Easy enough to do except there ends up being about 4 million plastic pieces! The dials, rings around them, needles etc etc etc. What a faff keeping them form getting all dusty or covered in bits.

Step three was getting the SMDs off. Jesus they are ****ing fiddly. There's a mix of 4 leg and 2 leg SMDs and the 4 leggers are an absolute **** to work on. My soldering skills are okay for the bigger pieces but these are so so small. Got them in the end but I wont be doing many of these again! The 2 leggers are easier as you don't have to worry about solder bridging the legs that share a side.

Step four is putting it all back together and that unfortunately meant taking all the lower trim apart off from under the steering wheel as the 4 10mm bolts I just couldn't get to go in at an angle. It was my own fault for trying to be clever in the first place!

So all in all I would say the only tricky bit is the SMDs. I've faffed around with Xbox 360s and the like before and they are small solder joints but these 4 leggers are just a nightmare to work on as you have to use so little solder in order to prevent the legs getting bridged.

BTW I used Osram PLCCs, I don't trust any ebay chinese ones.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That looks nice. Did you do it your self? how long did it take?
Yes did it myself. Took an hour to remove the cluster and get the speedo apart, then I gave myself a few hours each night to do the SMDs, then another 90 mins to put it all back in the car (I had to remove more trim to get the bolts back in properly).

You cant drive the car with the cluster disconnected. The car doesn't like it at all.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well just had a fab day down at Litchfields today.

Firstly thanks must go to Iain and his team, namely Neil, Stu and his young assistant whose name I embarrassingly cannot remember - sorry young man!

I had the Litchfield suspension kit fitted and I just cannot believe the difference to my stock 09 suspension.

Previously my car on stock suspension would be, what can only be described, as fidgety. This would show itself on undulating roads where the car would struggle to cope with repetitive dips and rises in the surface such that the harmonics of the car would lead it to almost bounce down the road. This would happen on motorways and when pushing on on B roads.

We'll I am completely and utterly impressed by Litchos kit.

All of that instability is gone. On the drive back up North the car felt supremely planted at motorway speeds such that I could not notice any of that wallowing at all.

When I got back near to my home I took a detour to thrash my car on a B road that I hoon over on the way to work a couple of days a week.

Here I could feel the increased precision on turn in, sharper steering response that makes my MPSS feel very much like the precision of the RFs that I lost when I swapped over to the MPSS.

Then there are two long straight stretches with undulations that previously my car would bounce down like a wallowing whale.

All completely solid and controlled.

Holy mackerel.

This kit is stunning. Why the **** didn't I fit this years ago?

Thanks Iain and your team. Not just a lovely bunch of chaps but also quite good at this tuning malarkey.

Bravo!!

Next week comes the Varis bonnet and hopefully my updated front bumper.

Get in!!

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Well just had a fab day down at Litchfields today.

Firstly thanks must go to Iain and his team, namely Neil, Stu and his young assistant whose name I embarrassingly cannot remember - sorry young man!

I had the Litchfield suspension kit fitted and I just cannot believe the difference to my stock 09 suspension.

Previously my car on stock suspension would be, what can only be described, as fidgety. This would show itself on undulating roads where the car would struggle to cope with repetitive dips and rises in the surface such that the harmonics of the car would lead it to almost bounce down the road. This would happen on motorways and when pushing on on B roads.

We'll I am completely and utterly impressed by Litchos kit.

All of that instability is gone. On the drive back up North the car felt supremely planted at motorway speeds such that I could not notice any of that wallowing at all.

When I got back near to my home I took a detour to thrash my car on a B road that I hoon over on the way to work a couple of days a week.

Here I could feel the increased precision on turn in, sharper steering response that makes my MPSS feel very much like the precision of the RFs that I lost when I swapped over to the MPSS.

Then there are two long straight stretches with undulations that previously my car would bounce down like a wallowing whale.

All completely solid and controlled.

Holy mackerel.

This kit is stunning. Why the **** didn't I fit this years ago?

Thanks Iain and your team. Not just a lovely bunch of chaps but also quite good at this tuning malarkey.

Bravo!!

Next week comes the Varis bonnet and hopefully my updated front bumper.

Get in!!
Great review...an awesome upgrade

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Can i ask where you got the SMDs from - also which ones will i need for the speedo and fuel guage

Thanks
Oops sorry terry I forgot to post an answer.

I've had a look through my record as I bought these smds almost 3 years ago when the first ones started flickering on my cluster. I know they are Osram plcc4 in blue for the lcd and gear display, white ones for the tacho speedo and other gauges.
I can't find an email from where I got them from unfortunately. I'll keep looking

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Oops sorry terry I forgot to post an answer.

I've had a look through my record as I bought these smds almost 3 years ago when the first ones started flickering on my cluster. I know they are Osram plcc4 in blue for the lcd and gear display, white ones for the tacho speedo and other gauges.
I can't find an email from where I got them from unfortunately. I'll keep looking
Thanks for the reply - have manage to source them now

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Varis bonnet all painted up and fitted along with the updated front bumper.

I'm on holiday until tomorrow but here's a teaser shot..

41 - 60 of 238 Posts