GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may come as a bit of a surprise - but I've got the STOCK intercooler on my car. With the boost I run, by simply swapping to a 100~115mm thick FMIC, will I see power gains? I feel the stock unit provides enough charge cooling, but maybe I'm missing something huge??

btw, the reason why, although I've upgraded everything else, I haven't touched the intercooler is due to reading Forced Induction by A. Bell, who strongly discourages intercooler thicknesses greater than 75mm for street cars (because thicker FMICs block airflow to the radiator, not to mention the A/C radiator).

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Ideally, you want the smallest possible volume between the turbo and inlet valve so the bigger the intercooler, the less punch you will get. I think a stock intercooler has a much bigger operating envelope than most people think.

·
Registered
411 Posts
on the flip side, the tiny intercooler cant cope with the vast amounts of air passing thru it resulting in hotter/thinner air at the plenum.

the difference between driving in the summertime and wintertime are rather evident, especially in turbo cars. that should give you an idea of what to expect.

just like everything else, i'd pick something that suits your power levels.

·
Registered
818 Posts
change it toby!.. you running same power as me.. when i changed mine to 100mm core.. much more responsive, flows much better than standard. Cooling temps hard to tell as not had a really hot day this year to compare to my standard intercooler last year with living in the uk :(

Standard is good for 500-600bhp.. i.e. it can cope just about cope with keeping the air cool.. but uprated is better in terms of throttle response and cooling at prolonged high boost levels. Its rubbish about people saying it will introduce loads of lag cos of the extra volume of air. Ohh and bin off ya A/C and A/C rad if you can.. mind you its hot where you are!

Would be defo interesting for you to do a before and after comparison. I got a cheap trust style intercooler (Autohbahn 88) and with a small adjustment it fitted my R33 GTR fine.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I nice HKS, Blitz or Trust intercooler will increase the cooling efficiency and therefore increase power a little. It's hard to say just how much it will increase, but you should also notice an increase in response as well if you are running higher power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts