GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when switching to a dramatically larger brake setup (stock BNR32 brakes to a huge Endless 6 pot or equivalent system), does the stock ABS computer still work fine with the increase in stopping power, or is it not able to handle it? I've thought lockup is lockup, so it wouldn't make a difference, but I think I read somewhere that the Z-tune GTR had to have reprogrammed ABS to handle it's uprated brake system. I could be utterly and totally mistaken as well however...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have heard this too but i would like to hear from someone that has actually carried it out. From what i hear though just your normal brake place can carry out a recallibration, don't quote me on that though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dont think so

Not sure that you would need to do anything. As i understand it the ABS works off the wheel sensor and this sensor has no idea what size brake is bolted on to the hub.

I believe the sensor detects if a wheel locks up and then the ABS computer will cut the pressure to this wheel until the wheel sensor detects movement again. This is my understanding of ABS systems, what you will find is that you will lock up fronts much easier now with road tyres as you will have loads more torque with the increased diameter of the brake rotor and surface area of the pad. And the only way you can really stop this is to run better rubber or a larger contact patch between the road surface and the tyre.

The biggest benifit will be the increased mass of the larger rotor will store more kinetic energy (in the form of heat ) due to more mass. And it should cool better as it has more surface area to disapate this heat, and therefore less fade during your session. Hopefully :)

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I'm fairly sure the ABS used the G-meters too. For optimum braking wheel distribution the ABS control unit would need re-programming for:-

Different tyre makes/sizes
Different suspension setups
Different car weights

Etc
Etc

The ABS does more than work as anti-skid. Its also a brake force distribution system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts