GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that haven't been reading my post on...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/146447-borgwarner-efr-8374-vs-garrett-t04z.html

Geoff at Full-Race has been helping develop a replacement ATTESSA ECU. Those in the know will be aware that the R32 GTR is quite slow in reacting to firing up the 4x4.....And most that have driven them will know all about 45% oversteer before the 4x4 kicks in.

Now there are plenty of good 4x4 controllers out there, But all they do is give you an adjustment on how much kicks in, not how FAST.

This by all accounts will be a complete replacement of the 4x4 ECU, to give you an idea of the processing power difference (read: Speed) between the R32 and R33 to R34, The R32's processor is 10Hz, and ATTESA-Pro (the active rear LSD ver) was 100Hz in the R33 and 1Mhz in the R34.

This new unit is looking to be 4Mhz !!! :clap::clap:

To me, this would completely eliminate the need for any forms of traction control, and allow the 4x4 system to keep up with the likes of STI's and EVO's who have much better traction.

Watch this space, Geoff will keep us informed when it is available.:thumbsup:

Chris.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris, this is brilliant!

Question - does it work only with active rear LSD cars, or any car? If any car, will the unit be compatible with the active rear LSD?

Aki
No it doesn't have to have the Active LSD, It will replace the 4x4 ECU.
Geoff has full R32 GTR running gear in his car (read: no active diff) so it will be built to handle at least that and more than likely the active cars as well.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Interested to know how exactly it works... a good aftermarket ECU (i.e. Motec or Vipec) could do the same using 3D tables using the OEM sensors as inputs. I would think so anyway, plus you would get 10 times the processing speed than this device (40MHz).

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interested to know how exactly it works... a good aftermarket ECU (i.e. Motec or Vipec) could do the same using 3D tables using the OEM sensors as inputs. I would think so anyway, plus you would get 10 times the processing speed than this device (40MHz).
This is just a 4x4 ECU, Not an engine ECU

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes I know. I would think an engine ECU could do the same; I am sure the same control is achievable setting up tables with inputs and PWM output using the Vipec V88. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Loving the idea of this Chris mate!
Any ideas how long it might take him to get a working unit up and running?
Very exciting news!
;)
Bob

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
sounds really interesting. will this be suitable for a R33 as well?
how much are they going to sell for?

sure an engine ecu could do the same, but how long would you need to spend trying to map it... hours, days, on track trying to get it set up right. and you would need a very competent mapper, which leads to ££££`s
a) cost of the right ecu - b) cost of setting it up - against cost of this device???

will it be direct plug n play type device?

·
Registered
892 Posts
amazing idea.....getting the system to act quicker

looking forward to how this goes its the next step

clean'd the system out ready for new fluid & clean'd pump unit and connections allready

Nigel :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry guys I have no more info at the moment, Hopefully Geoff @ Full-Race will post some more info soon.

http://dccdpro.com/main/?page_id=3

http://dccdpro.com/main/wp-content/downloads/DCCDPro UNI.pdf

http://dccdpro.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2&zenid=1b2c3807d7a6cfd6fe8ab8b2d7334966

These are some links to the company that is developing the unit, They make controllers for the STI and EVO centre diffs, This module will differ a lot by the sounds of it, as it is going to be a full replacement of the ATTESSA ecu.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes I know. I would think an engine ECU could do the same; I am sure the same control is achievable setting up tables with inputs and PWM output using the Vipec V88. Just a thought.
Achievable, yes.
But someone would have to guinea pig the setup, pay for labour and development and then at the end of the day all they have is some maps to suit one type of ecu and a wiring diagram... if they wanted to share it.
You would also lose most of your additional ecu input/outputs which would likely otherwise be used for more engine specific parameters.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
never driven a 32 how much slower is the reaction time of the 4wd compaired to the 33??

will this unit be compatable with the 33 or would seperate system need to be built (im not sure if the ecu's differ from model to model)

keep up the good work Chris and keep on at Geoff :thumbsup:

Tib

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
never driven a 32 how much slower is the reaction time of the 4wd compaired to the 33??
A lot! I've driven all three cars, And the most noticeable difference is between the R32 to the R33. there wasn't as noticeable difference from the R33 to the R34 but the R33 was the only V-Spec one, so had the A-Pro diff.

will this unit be compatable with the 33 or would seperate system need to be built (im not sure if the ecu's differ from model to model)
By all accounts it will be able to be wired into all three models, hopefully Geoff will be able to get wire codes for all of them.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
will they be going as far as adding YAW control into it ?

At a guess, I wouldn't think so, That would mean adding additional sensors.

But a request could be put in?

Does anyone know where the EVO gets it's YAW sense from?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
if i had a 32 i would but i dont think i would change my 34 one except if its tested many times and had a proof of it working 100%.

·
Registered
892 Posts
here's some links.....

Active Yaw Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2003/15E_11.pdf

but this part "It accomplishes this via two hydraulic clutches which can limit torque on individual axles. This system should not be confused with stability control systems which utilize the braking system of a vehicle by individually braking certain wheels to rotate and slow the car (such as Electronic Brakeforce Distribution). AYC is a performance-oriented system which aims to increase cornering speeds"

looks like it's a hardware thing .....

1 - 20 of 143 Posts