GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking outloud here:

Is there any way you can upgrade the R32's system? The V-spec had an upgraded system compared with the 32 previous so can you swap the brains and it'll work? Or is it best just to get a torque controller?

Also is the early R33's system the same and can you put the altessa ecu into the 32?

Cheers, Will.:wavey:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I'd be interested in this as well.
The R33 IIRC is about 10 or 100 times faster computing and sorting front torque.
And I understand the V-Spec one probably wouldn't work due to the active diff....

But what about the std R33 GTR ATTESSA computer????

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be interested in this as well.

But what about the std R33 GTR ATTESSA computer????

That's what i was thinking as well, mine seems to be slow to initiate front torque. V - spec is a no go but i was thinking about the 33non - vspec :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
I've never found the truth about this.

I suspect that the most if it is rumour.

The R32 ATTESSA unit supposedly had revised settings - possibly due to the bigger tyres and maybe also retuned ABS settings for the Brembos.

The 33 V-spec is evidently a more advanced unit dealing with the rear diff locking.

Whether the 33 unit is any different to the 32 unit I guess we need an ecu nerd to pull the 2 apart and tell us the truth once and for all.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 x Bored ECU nerd needed then!

Might be worth trying to plug one in and see if the car has a fit or not!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well I got myself an alleged vspec2 attesa ecu (part no is different to stock gt-r/gts-4 one). Plugs etc are all the same. AFAIK the differences are that the mapping is altered, and that it takes deceleration and vertical G into account not just lateral and acceleration. I don't think it had an active diff in the R32.

No idea if it reacts faster than the regular one.

Id be willing to plug it into someones r32 as a trial if they could get to the croydon area. I doubt any difference would be noticeable on a public road though.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
When I got my 32 my importer told me that the r32 spec v had a different different rear diff. given he had one along with an N1 car I had no reason to doubt him.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
The only difference on 32 diffs is the later cars including V-Spec's have the smooth diff cover rather than the finned one. Opposite to the R33 and R34 where the V-Spec's have the active rear diff with a finned rear cover.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, still been looking into this, there is a mine's car on their website called the BNR32.5 and it says on the spec list that it runs a BNCR33 V-spec rear diff with active lsd. So we know it can be done, but how difficult it will be????

Mine's will know! Mine's

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
It's been done a few times but from what I've seen it involves transplanting a lot of wiring looms as well as the hardware. I have a great Japanese book where one of the tuning houses stuffs all the R34 V-Spec running gear into a mint R32. ATTESA hydraulics all mounted in a custom aluminium enclosure in the boot.

It's far easier to buy a decent aftermarket LSD and a torque split controller. My choice - ATS Carbon LSD's, Field Linear ETS + HKS ETC & DA.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sorry to reignite this topic. Has anyone found the answer to this? I am looking to import a R32 GTR soon and it’s far easier to find a nice clean GTR, than a GTR V-Spec or V-Spec II which has the revised ATTESSA settings/unit. Is there a difference? If there is, then is it remotely noticeable? If it is noticeable then I will continue my search for a V-Spec/V-Spec II model, if not then I might as well just go with a GTR.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Regarding any noticable difference I can only give my non-scientific results after driving the two different models on the same circuit and comparing the lap-times (and the sensed "feel") of the activation for the 4WD.

In my opinion there IS a noticable difference in reaction time in transferring torque to the front axle, giving the car a better high speed cornering capability. V-spec:s ETS-activation is much faster and more distinct than the standard ETS-system (in my opinion).

Tha cars were also slightly differently tuned (with about 75 BHP less on my R32 V-spec than my std R32).
Lap times differed only by a 1/10 of a second (in favour of the more powerful car) with the ETS active, thus indicating that the V-spec´s ETS is an improvement (with me as driver).
With de-activated ETS on both cars the lap-times differed several seconds, (V-spec the slower car).

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks for your response bobban. It was the exact reply that I was after speaking from a driver’s perspective. I will still try and go for a V-Spec car but finding a well looked after example at a reasonable price can only be compared to finding a needle in a haystack.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
193 Posts
Another alternative would be to purchase a ETS-unit from a scrapped R32 V-specI / -II or a new unit from your Nissan Parts supplier and fit in the original unit position.
I have seen no other difference in the ETS related parts between the models (STD vs V-spec).

V-spec ETS computer has Nissan Part No: 47850-12U00
STD ETS (For R32 GTR & GTS-4) Nissan part no is: 47850-05U00
These numbers are printed on the units, so it´s easy to identfy if you find a used part..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thank you for your help. Do you know if this is a case of "plug and play" with the new unit, or does the ECU need to be recalibrated to talk to the different ETS control unit?

Thanks again for your help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
As of my knowledge replacing the units would not require any extra actions. Along with std ECU:s I have run (now running) Apexi PowerFC:s in both cars and the ECU:s input/output are not affected by differences in ETS-electronics in any way.
(As I have sold the V-Spec to my brother it would be an easy job to confirm this by swapping units.. Although testing the cars on a circuit is impossible this year.)

·
Registered
893 Posts
As of my knowledge replacing the units would not require any extra actions. Along with std ECU:s I have run (now running) Apexi PowerFC:s in both cars and the ECU:s input/output are not affected by differences in ETS-electronics in any way.
(As I have sold the V-Spec to my brother it would be an easy job to confirm this by swapping units.. Although testing the cars on a circuit is impossible this year.)
Sounds good to me, it stands a very high chance that it'll just be a case of "plug'n'play" then. It has certainly broadened my searching criteria.

Thanks for your help bobban :bowdown1:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds good to me, it stands a very high chance that it'll just be a case of "plug'n'play" then. It has certainly broadened my searching criteria.

Thanks for your help bobban :bowdown1:
I know this going off topic to what your asking. But i believe in a good suspension set up.
That in my experience would more than likely improve your handling more than spending money on other area.

I mean there's a lot of people with skylines that have massive horse power and there cars still don't handel. They think nothing to spending 2-3 thousand on there engines but would begrudge spending that on suspension..

Power is nothing without control.

Anyway:wavey: back on topic

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I know this going off topic to what your asking. But i believe in a good suspension set up.
That in my experience would more than likely improve your handling more than spending money on other area.

I mean there's a lot of people with skylines that have massive horse power and there cars still don't handel. They think nothing to spending 2-3 thousand on there engines but would begrudge spending that on suspension..

Power is nothing without control.

Anyway:wavey: back on topic
Right there with ya!

I spent most of my energy replacing all the bushes in the suspension (and going to adjustable arms etc) and good shocks etc to get the car to handle well before getting 500hp atw's.....But it would be good to be able to boot the throttle out of the corners as early as a good Mitzi Evo without having armfulls of opposite lock!:runaway:

...Will be interesting to see what it's like with my Nismo 2way diff going in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts