GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've done a search on intercoolers in the formum but not quite found a definitive answer to this one. I've got an R33 GTR soon to be 'tweaked' by Rod Bell to around the 500bhp mark its about 400 at the mo (changing injectors, upping boost slightly, 260 Tomei Poncams, Nismo AFM's etc).

I was thinking of getting either Tomei exhaust manifolds to improve exhaust flow or an uprated intercooler (cant afford both!). It has been suggested that I would see more benefit per £ by getting the intercooler uprated as the Tomeis are only really worth it if you have bigger turbos than std. (ive got std turbos with steel internals and 360° thrusts).

Anyone help?

·
Registered
197 Posts
im no expert but i thought the standard intercooler was ok at that sort of power im running 550fly bhp with standard intercooler

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
If you have to do one or the other, do the exhaust manifolds. the intercooler is fine to well over 500hp

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
your stock intercooler is good for up to 600bhp at least. When Nissan made the GT-R for Group A homologation, certain parts had to be exactly the same on both the road car and the race car. One was the intercooler, which is why the thing is so damn big for a factory IC. One of the others was the exhaust manifold.

Have you done your exhaust completely? 4" downpipes help a lot.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks for the responses,

Kismetcapitan - I have replaced the standard downpipes with HKS ones not completley sure of the diammeter and then have a Trust Power Extreme II exhuast 5inch diammeter i think. Do you think there is their anypoint in doing the manifolds if they were homolgated like the intercooler?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I don't see the point of doing the exhaust manifolds unless your turbo selection absolutely requires equal length tubes to avoid turbo shuffle, (like GT-RS turbos). With your turbos, you won't get much of anything from replacing the exhaust manifolds. Do up your fuel system with a fuel pump and some 700cc injectors, and since you've got everything else, I'd call it finished. If you're really itching to spend cash, work on supporting systems, like an N1 water pump, radiator, add an oil cooler, upgrade the oil pump, etc. Get it all mapped up, then enjoy :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, think ill leave both the intercooler and the tomies then (though I do like the look of a shiny new intercooler!).

I've got a Greddy 16 Row oil cooler fitted in front right wing (did it for a track day at Spa Francohamps) and a Greddy Type R bov as the oil cooler wouldnt fit in with the re-circ dumpvalves, twin core rad and OS giken twin plate clutch. Sooooooo I guess upgrading the oil pump is best way to go.. any particular type worth while? Whats the N1 water pump add over standard?

Cheers

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
do you have stalling at idle problems with that Greddy BOV? N1 water pump flows more water, basically has a better impeller design. I noticed my engine running cooler after installation. I'd consider it essential. I used an N1 oil pump as well but they don't seem to be well-liked. For twice the money, Nismo or any number of aftermarket oil pumps are available - and for ten times that, a US tuner has just finished a dry sump kit for the RB26 - the ultimate oiling system for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts