GTR Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,393 Posts
His (more or less) exact words were "As the interest rates continue to rise the used market is going to crash unless it is rare or very special and expensive"

·
Super Moderator
16,311 Posts
Ah yes well if they keep putting those up then the landscape will change. At the moment you can 'earn' more on buying a classic than you can in interest....if that changes then it will flip I guess.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I see another Bayside MY21 car listed at £115k has sold, Six weeks ago there were two on the market at 125k, both dropped to 115k and sold over the last fortnight. Judging by how many new R35s listings there is on AT daily and the stable amount for sale, they are selling at these higher prices.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Depends a) whether they are genuinely selling (or being put back into the trade) and b) if they do sell, what they sell for. I keep seeing some cars (earlier cars though) just being cycled through the trade. In fact there was one car (CBA with a blue wrap) that was for sale at different places for about 3 years). Was probably no good. What was the reg of the ones that sold? Be interesting to see if they surface again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's true of course, we don't know for certain they have sold. No idea on the regs but with Bayside cars being uncommon and none being available presently, they should not be too hard to track in the market.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
It's not an issue. As an owner I'm happy to see them rise in price.

The OP queried whether they were actually fetching the high prices. Within that it begs the question is demand driving the price up or are sellers speculating and inflating asking prices as the R35 is no more (well assume no more, that's highly likely)?

I'm not convinced the demand is driving up jumps of 40% over original retail prices but happy to be proved wrong, hence if we could track some cars then we'd all know where the values are really at (at least for now). I'll keep a casual eye out.

·
Super Moderator
16,311 Posts
Does appear the bayside cars are no longer for sale, difficult to tell really.

·
Vendor
4,751 Posts
I would’nt buy a car solely on it appreciating in value, I think theres better rewards out there.

on another note it’s better to be having a car that’s earning rather than the depreciation you generally have to take.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know some people are going to jump at me for this but... lol

When I had my R33 GTR for 12 years, I always had it in my head it was a €20k car. It didn't particularly feel amazing inside, just like a 90's jap car really. Even when I got it and it was 11 years old at the time, it felt dated. It was fun and fast but I wouldn't get up in the middle of the night to look at the dashboard lol.

I always wanted an R35 GTR but couldn't afford one. Its always been an expensive car. Especially in Ireland because by the time we register it etc, we basically pay around another €20k-€25k ontop of the UK prices (even when they bottomed out at high £20k region).

When I was selling my R33 GTR last year, I couldn't believe what people where offering. To me it wasn't worth that money and I had enjoyed it so I was happy to move it on and get an R35 GTR.

I ended up buying a 2009 CBA in May 2021 and paid £33.5k. Baring in mind, compared to the R33, this was 13 years old when I got it compared to the R33 being 11 years old when I got it but the R35 felt so much newer, far more premium and special. It genuinely feels like its worth the money I paid for it.

Whats increased the R32, R33 and R34 prices? Shortage? Youtube? Fast and Furious? Maybe its just nostolgia... I'm not a financial/economic expert so I can't say but I couldn't see why the R35 would follow suit in years to come as genuinely made a huge impact on the motoring scene when they landed the R35 model itself became an icon for mainly what it was capable of instead of it being a follow on to the Skyline GTRs.

Most cars that make an impact like that generally have excellent residuals when they become a classic in later years.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,451 Posts
I ended up buying a 2009 CBA in May 2021 and paid £33.5k. Baring in mind, compared to the R33, this was 13 years old when I got it compared to the R33 being 11 years old when I got it but the R35 felt so much newer, far more premium and special. It genuinely feels like its worth the money I paid for it.
That is a very good point and I think you can apply it in general to any car.

If you bought a new car in say 1970, by 1980 (if it lasted that long !), it would have seemed like it was out of the ark. But if you bought a new car in 2010, by 2020 it would not seem that old (and it would not, generally, have fallen to bits, like say a 1970s car would have done).

·
Ooo Matron !
2,451 Posts
Just sold my 2017 stage 4.25 straight away...twice in fact[ long story] dealer now has it up for 9k more!!
When I traded in my Noble (10 years it must be now), I think I got about £20k for it and it was up at the dealers for around £26k (or around that mark). I'd expect £5k or £6k markup, maybe £9k does sound high ? I'm not sure really.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If they find the right person or are prepared to wait they might make £9k. However, if its sat for a few weeks with no interest and someone turns up and offers 5k less than stickered they may snap his hand off and take the 4k markup.
Patience and the willingness to walk away are key to getting a good deal...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts