GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks

i was wondering if this is possible, now i know that you can have two diffirent ECU's but what if one was 300bhp and the other say 700:D:D, would this result be dire(sp), that is without having to go onto the rolling road etc, both being plug and play units, can this work.

K

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Most people map their cars to optimse the ignition and fuel, this will give best economy on cruise and who cares about fuel on full power.

I can't imagine why you would want 300 bhp when you have a car with 700, but all you need to do is turn down the boost.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some of the new aftermarket ECU's can store different fuel/ignition maps and alow you to change between them at the flick of a swicth.

As Hugh said, there is no real need for using it how you intended. Most people would only use this feature so they can swicth between pump and race fuel.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
GTR-NUTTER,

I have a good 700 BHP and I wouldn't dream of turning it down, not even for a trip to ASDA.

You never know when you might just want to bring the revs and boost up, just a wee thrill on the way home.

If you get your car up to 700 BHP, I doubt you will switch it off, it would be like having a shag without an orgasm - euch.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI M8

you do have a valid pont there, but in my situation i dont want others to be going to the shops and then end up in a ditch:( ,but mind you i can just hide the keys:D:D:

thanx for the info m8

p.s it was me who pmd ya about the ECU, have you got allot of interest yet

K

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The 2-maps story is used a lot these days in the Subaru world... One map is optimised for power and torque, to use the maximum of the installed modifications, and a second map, activated by pressing the rear windscreen heater button and applying full throttle (engine not running), is set up for fuel economy, for long highway runs, for instance...

For people using the car as an everyday driver, or when the "mother-in-law" has to drive it on occasion, 2 maps is a good solution

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If a car is mapped correctly - there really is no reason to have multiple maps.

Maps are 2 d . They pick a cell from a group of cells based on 2 inputs.

The inputs are mostly LOAD , and RPM .

LOAD comes from the airflow meters , RPM well - the engine speed.

So if you have a standard ECU say a Power FC with a 20x20 table , its not likely that you are going to be in a certain cell , under a certain load , under the same conditions when you are cruising and at WOT .

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Reytec I ordered allows multi maps on the one ECU. It will require and interface kit and a laptop, but it means you can switch it to economy mode for shopping and then switch back to normal mode for leisurely drives on a Sunday ;)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Project 400

Try reading the above posts a little closer.

There is only one way to map a car, economy in the lower revs and BHP in the higher boost region, normally just on the edge of detonation and within sensible EGT limits.

Want less power turn the boost down.

The only reason for two maps would be to use different octane fuel.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yep I know. :)

Especially where I live it is well useful. I have 1 Shell garage wihin a ten mile radius (it closes early too - which is useless when I've been on a ltae night burn) and not very many SUL garages that open late enough or always in supply, this means the options of low boost, or lower octane are very useful to me. There ahve been many ocasions where I've been to pick up some fuel and the SUL pump is locked :eek:

This way I can lower the boost in car when I begin to run low and lower the octane settings if I know there are no supplies for the next few days.

There may not be method to my madness, but there is damned good reason for it. :D - Lack of Decent Petrol Stations!!!!!

I wish we could have BP ultimate here :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts