GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Need to treat my under-body due to some light surface rust and thinking about using one of those Dinitrol kits that include the spray gun as well since I have an air compressor already. My question is weather I have to remove everything fm under(exhaust, suspension etc) before applying their products? Can it be done whilst the car remains as is?

Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
591 Posts
Depends on what you want to apply underseal to - I've seen cars where the underseal has been applied pretty indiscriminately and others which were more specific.

As a minimum I'd mask up / remove the exhaust and prop/driveshafts, wouldn't want them burning up or flinging underseal everywhere!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tks for your input mate, just not sure if these kits go everywhere, even on the upper side of things where it's impossible to look at. Exhaust is easy to remove but don't really know about the prop/shafts. Suspension also i guess is one of the things to mask as well as brakes

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The best thing to do is to remove what you can, I would personally remove the suspension (coilovers), remove the exhaust and heat shield and any other bits you can remove easily..Then if you go to your local paint supplier, buy some 3m clear sheet or some brown paper sheet and mask all the bits that you don't want the underseal to go onto also make sure you mask your bodywork and carry this out away from other cars and out of the wind.

The more you remove the more protection you can give to the underside...

Mine has been done already, but as soon as summer is here I will be removing most of the stuff underneath and re-doing it all again just to have that peace of mind. I have a feeling that I want to have it all silver underneath :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah sounds like a lot of job to be done but it HAS to be done, just to keep my mind at ease as well. Don't really care about the color since you can't really see it. From the search I've done Dinitrol kits seem the best option for the job, any other brand recommendations or shall I go with their products?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Always heard good things about POR15 too, they're the main two brands which always seem to crop up in my experience

·
549 Posts
Yeah sounds like a lot of job to be done but it HAS to be done
This is nothing compared to what you should be really doing :chuckle:

If there's any old underseal on your car I would be stripping this off first, to see what it looks like underneath. It perfectly covers any possible problems unfortunately.
I've only done my front wheel arches so far (getting ready to do rear ones) but went all out and stripped it back to bare metal to paint it with por15.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anyone got any recommendations for a top coat after the underseal has been applied? It's one of the jobs I want to get out of the way this summer.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Please, please Do not underseal your car! Do it properly please!:bowdown:
Underseal just allows rust that isn't removed prior to the process to continue to spread underneath.
It's a great way for people to cover up all manner of badness/horrors which won't be visable to the new owner until its too late. I've seen way too many cars properly ruined like this. :(
There are now much, much better products out there for protecting your pride n joys underside. But a quick underseal fix just isn't the answer.
Just my ten p's worth!
;)
Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
Underseal just allows rust that isn't removed prior to the process to continue to spread underneath.
It's a great way for people to cover up all manner of badness/horrors which won't be visable to the new owner until its too late. I've seen way too many cars properly ruined like this. :(
There are now much, much better products out there for protecting your pride n joys underside. But a quick underseal fix just isn't the answer.
Just my ten p's worth!
;)
Bob
I was planning to take a week off work and do it (strip, treat if necessary, underseal then top coat). However, having seen some of the work you do is there any chance you could pm me a quote to get it done "properly"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just my ten p's worth!
;)
Bob

Hi Bob I fully agree with your statement above, are Dinitrol kits up to the task? Unfortunately I am not in UK and nobody does this kind of work n Cyprus matey and I really need to do something just to ease my mind.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys it seems I cannot import anything registered as "hazard material" in Cyprus. Absolutely nothing even fm a country within the EU. I'm gutted since I cannot find a way to treat my car other than just painting the under-body with paint :chairshot

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Don't you have anyone in Cyprus that sells suitable products? Maybe bodyshops, car restoration places, car stores etc?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts