GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked numerous times if their son/daughter can have my GT-R as their prom vehicle, something of which I have wanted to do.

I have also never wanted payment for it, I do it for the pure enjoyment and attention the car will receive on the day and an excuse to get a detail done ;)

But was brought to my attention today Police actually hang around proms and look for illegal prom vehicles taking money for the services which would come under HIRE AND REWARD. Although I do own and rent out a taxi so by law I own a Hackney License, but of course the GT-R is not a licensed private hire/hackney vehicle.

So under my understanding if you are not asking for money then it is perfectly legal, and is the same as dropping a mate off down the pavilion or wherever they wish to go. I do not want to invalidate my insurance or similar. Has anyone here done a prom trip for friends sons/daughters, and what exactly is the ruling when you are not asking for any payment.

·
Registered
199 Posts
best way is to

charge for taking photos with car, and dropping to venue is free of charge and just a lift/favour

fully tested and works and no hassle :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm taking my girlfriends brother and his mate to their prom next week, it's simply dropping them off at school like I could do any other day?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I'm taking my daughter for her prom tomorrow evening.... Gets serious attention from the kids. Took my son in my previous 09gtr and the kids bombarded the car like as if he was a super star

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm taking my wifes friends daughter to her prom with her boyfriend on Wednesday. Payment is being made as a charity donation to my chosen charity.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Would police really be so petty with nothing better to do than stake out schools for "illegal prom vehicles" ?
Sounds like bullshit to me.
I've used my car for a wedding car twice and payment never even crossed my mind, would be a bit pathetic to ask for it if you are doing a favor and your not in that line of work.
The donation sounds good though :)
J

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I thought Kat. It was the mrs who alerted me to it so I got a little worried.

As for the police having nothing better to do, put it this way, I got pulled over last month because my car "revved" coming up to the traffic lights. I had to explain to the officer how downshifting on the paddle works in a GT-R, this was in Dorchester, they truly have nothing to do 99% of the time here.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I got pulled over last month because my car "revved" coming up to the traffic lights. I had to explain to the officer how downshifting on the paddle works in a GT-R, this was in Dorchester, they truly have nothing to do 99% of the time here.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha thats brilliant.

I hope you took the said copper right back to basics, and explained the principles of heel/toe downshifts etc before introducing him/her to the modern day paddle shift with auto blip etc

I've just had a driving complaint made against me for accelerating on a motorway slip road ready to join the traffic. No law against acceleration last time I checked.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly you could not write it if you tried. The copper even said an elderly gentleman on the pavement even called me an "idiot" for revving, and I was a disturbance to the peace. More like the copper was embarassed I shown him up.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
If I was a cop, I'd happily hang outside any building full of 18 year old girls wearing prom dresses.

Pulling over illegal prom cars would make a great excuse ;)

·
R35 Section manager
11,259 Posts
I'm out tomorrow helping out for my first school prom.
Nice to be asked

·
Ooo Matron !
2,363 Posts
What's all this prom caper ? When I finished school there was none of this carry on !

1 - 20 of 55 Posts