GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really tempted to go for a v-cam. My view on all the data looks to make an ideal street set-up for the low to mod range power. The question is if you are not chaising big numbers and you dial say mild cams in and keep the boost down , with enough ignition advance can you get the same effect from the very low off boost revs to the 4k mark ?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am really tempted to go for a v-cam. My view on all the data looks to make an ideal street set-up for the low to mod range power. The question is if you are not chaising big numbers and you dial say mild cams in and keep the boost down , with enough ignition advance can you get the same effect from the very low off boost revs to the 4k mark ?
No!!!!!! Get a good pair of 2510's n spend the rest of the money on brakes !!! Dont waste your money

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got -5s and r35 brakes.
New ecu,s have the abilty to control the v-cam as it's a standard item on most performance cars now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What's your use for the car? Road or track? Either way,anyway anyone that knows more than me which is most here :) lol , will tell ya spend the money on tightening your chassis

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mine was running 500bhp with v-cam on gt-ss turbos.

Now having a rb32 build im tempted to ditch the v-cam if your intetested

Its stage 1 type b

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Unless that is 500hp at all four wheels and not a flywheel number on -5s, I would be spending money elsewhere on the engine as you are not getting the best out of the turbos.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting comments , but as Scotty said you can't change the laws of physics , larger capacity is best. , a turbo increases efficiency .

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It will make quite a difference but it's hard to motivate the huge cost of it...
I'd rather build a rb30 than buying a vcam. The only reason I have it is that it was on the car when I bought it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the research I have done on the higher power cars it's not as effective unless you have the high lift version . If standard cams are advanced can this have the same effect , and then use the bigger turbos to give the mid to top range.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
With the advent of aftermarket ECU's with better processing power/strategies, it strikes me as odd why we just dont all swap our 26 heads for VVT 25 heads and have ECU control the cams??
Obviously theres a good reason for not doing it or it'd be a common sight. It'd be like having factory V-cam...

TT

·
Registered
887 Posts
abit of work involved tho

manifolds dont fit, so that needs to be sorted.
and im sure switching heads changes the comp ratio

i think the v-cam on mine will limit me as its stage 1, so may in the end just get the pro

·
Registered
887 Posts
have you seen the prices of v cams lately? lol you have to buy it with the fcon as well.
yep they can be expensive

i did have the fcon pro, but ive ditched it for the link G4. The chap doing my build has said that the v-cam will still work for the new ecu??

·
Registered
26,460 Posts
Its worth it i think, seeing the difference, though mine is a 2.8.

depends i guess on the deepness of pockets and what you really want out of it.

tbh i would spend the funds elsewhere on brakes/suspension etc

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The link g4 will run the vcam, I think some more viable alternatives to get variable valve timing should be investigated , it opens up another era in gtr tuning. Given the new ecu's

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Many people over here run them and no one runs a F Con. Racepace Motorsport got one working with a Power FC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts