GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
been in a few bif singles not my fave sticking with twins
Each to their own....

People have this perception that to have a single turbo on an RB it will big a big one with lots of lag......

With the new turbo technology that is now just not the case, my new Borg Warner EFR turbo has less lag, spools faster and makes more power than my old twins ever had.

As far as bolt on twins go, there just isn't anything on the market that compare

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For the road i just cant see past twins to be honest i just like the pickup and immediate GO due to the smaller turbine size.

i have no doubt of the ability of new singles, if i was looking for higher power or for use on track/drag i would definitely taking longer to decide

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
For the road i just cant see past twins to be honest i just like the pickup and immediate GO due to the smaller turbine size.

i have no doubt of the ability of new singles, if i was looking for higher power or for use on track/drag i would definitely taking longer to decide
:nervous: Ummm.....I'm not sure you are reading everything that I wrote....

Forget that I am making more overall power, I have had both Nismo twins and 2650-5 twins, and my single has faster "pickup" and being that my EFR turbo has billet/Ti wheels it has much more "immediate GO" than the twins, I have full 20psi boost at 3400rpm, but that is only half the story, it feels like its on boost from idle:thumbsup:

I'm not trying to convince you that you have to have a single, but you need to realise that there are better things out there than the low mount twins

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:nervous: Ummm.....I'm not sure you are reading everything that I wrote....

Forget that I am making more overall power, I have had both Nismo twins and 2650-5 twins, and my single has faster "pickup" and being that my EFR turbo has billet/Ti wheels it has much more "immediate GO" than the twins, I have full 20psi boost at 3400rpm, but that is only half the story, it feels like its on boost from idle:thumbsup:

I'm not trying to convince you that you have to have a single, but you need to realise that there are better things out there than the low mount twins
I have not been in a car with a big single that i have enjoyed as much for response as twins.

It also does not make sense for two smaller turbos to respond less quickly or at a lower RPM range than a larger turbo.it would be a waste of time making these turbos if that was the case.

From all the info i have been given by UK and JP tuners all have advised me for my needs to go with either -5s or 2530s as my needs are quite basic in terms of what can be done with an RB26

I understand you must have a good set up but do not think big singles are the holy grail imo for a responsive road car.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have not been in a car with a big single that i have enjoyed as much for response as twins.

It also does not make sense for two smaller turbos to respond less quickly or at a lower RPM range than a larger turbo.it would be a waste of time making these turbos if that was the case.

From all the info i have been given by UK and JP tuners all have advised me for my needs to go with either -5s or 2530s as my needs are quite basic in terms of what can be done with an RB26

I understand you must have a good set up but do not think big singles are the holy grail imo for a responsive road car.
My single turbo makes more power even down at 3k rpm compared to my previous 2530s setup.

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
The problem is the 2530s

id not bother with the vcam - it makes a difference but on the state of tune you have, its not really worth it for the expense.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
V-Cam has already been bought and included (it also allows for further tuning in the future if i want)

thanks for the input i would not rule out any option but based on the folk with this set up (i have spoken to a few here and in japan) and seen in person i am staying with this as my plan as it seems to create a road friendly car with plenty of poke :)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You've not been it the right car then, show me a set of twins that have full boost at 3400rpm, and feel are easily building boost from 1500rpm :squintdan

:confused: why does it not make sense? Twins have only 3 cylinders feeding each turbo, where as a single has all 6 cylinders.
The 2530's are a good turbo, but they are a 15 year old design. You have no doubt been in cars with "Big old turbos" like T88's and T51s.....these are nothing like what the EFRs or new Precision Turbos. Just cause we have a single, doesn't mean its "Big"

That's fair enough, but to say that a single is not as responsive as twins is purely a lack on knowledge

They aren't the holy grail, there are plenty of good responsive twins, but there are much better options available now, turbos have come ALONG WAY in the last 5 years

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just to be clear i don't think that singles are in anyway bad,also to note we have not even broached the subject of mapping which lends all kinds of impact to the cars performance.!

Twins is just a choice / route i have wanted and as said the design is old but a tried and tested set up for exactly what i think i want.

I do appreciate all input though :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Realistically, you can't factually compare HP/TQ numbers, butt dyno numbers, and spool of turbos between a stock displacement 2.6L and a 26/30.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
You've not been it the right car then, show me a set of twins that have full boost at 3400rpm, and feel are easily building boost from 1500rpm :squintdan

:confused: why does it not make sense? Twins have only 3 cylinders feeding each turbo, where as a single has all 6 cylinders.
The 2530's are a good turbo, but they are a 15 year old design. You have no doubt been in cars with "Big old turbos" like T88's and T51s.....these are nothing like what the EFRs or new Precision Turbos. Just cause we have a single, doesn't mean its "Big"

That's fair enough, but to say that a single is not as responsive as twins is purely a lack on knowledge

They aren't the holy grail, there are plenty of good responsive twins, but there are much better options available now, turbos have come ALONG WAY in the last 5 years
Just thinking out loud but are there not smaller efr turbo. I seem to remember some about the same size as the -10s. I'd be interested to see how a pair of those compared to a single on a suitable base, say a 3+ litre bottom end.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Just thinking out loud but are there not smaller efr turbo. I seem to remember some about the same size as the -10s. I'd be interested to see how a pair of those compared to a single on a suitable base, say a 3+ litre bottom end.
Yeah there is a twin EFR kit that Full-Race do, it has one turbo high, and one low. Power wise it comes in half way between the EFR 8374 and the EFR 9180 singles.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
A guy i know in tokyo is looking at a high HP High/low mount Full race turbo system for a Wangan high speed R34. i will ask if he would pop his dyno chart / opinions on it when complete.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sub Boy, give up, people these days are either blind or too stupid to see what is in front of them. :rolleyes:

When somebody that has owned twins AND a single turbo set up tells you that the single is better, that's all there is to it. Obviously the clowns are happy to be ass raped by their tuner who gets to sell the mug 2 manifolds, 2 turbos, 2 wastegates, 2 downpipes ect......

I wonder why these idiots even ask for advice when they've already made up their mind and can't be told anything, just get on with it and be happy knowing that you're paying double the amount of money to your tuner for a twin turbo set up than you need to. :chairshot

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sub Boy, give up, people these days are either blind or too stupid to see what is in front of them. :rolleyes:

When somebody that has owned twins AND a single turbo set up tells you that the single is better, that's all there is to it. Obviously the clowns are happy to be ass raped by their tuner who gets to sell the mug 2 manifolds, 2 turbos, 2 wastegates, 2 downpipes ect......

I wonder why these idiots even ask for advice when they've already made up their mind and can't be told anything, just get on with it and be happy knowing that you're paying double the amount of money to your tuner for a twin turbo set up than you need to. :chairshot[/QUOTE

What does the cost have to do with driveability and what i want from the car?

This thread was about V-cam in any case so that's what i was asked.............

I am not an idiot just someone with a different opinion than you and have spoken to many others and read many other threads with just as much votes for twins as single set ups.

For on the road driving many seem to not be of the same opinion as you and i know a some guys who have went from twins to single and back for the feel and driveabilty.

I think you should jump off your high horse and be less of a tw^t ....

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You're an idiot because you think you know better than the person who was advising you about both turbo set ups. He has experience of BOTH set ups, he told you what was best but you said otherwise. You have no experience of BOTH set ups and tried to tell somebody who has experience of both set ups that he's wrong.

That was why I called you an idiot, because you are one. Try getting some experience of BOTH set ups then maybe you'll be able to make an 'informed' decision instead of talking out of your arse about something you have no experience of. :chairshot

41 - 60 of 139 Posts