Vpower or Tesco momentum

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

The old debate, brought back for 2017, which do you prefer for your GTR and why?

I've tried both, and the only difference I've noticed, is the exhaust seems to burble a bit more with vpower... power feels the same on both...

So on this basis, I've chosen Tesco Momentum, as due to our many petrol pitstops haha, Momentum is about 10 per litre cheaper than Vpower, so I'm getting more smiles per miles! :)

Chron

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll use either, but there's no option for that on the poll :)
BUT why use either? Why not just use momentum as its cheaper? = more smiles per miles :):):):):):):):):).... and not use vpower at all.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I use V-Power as I seemed to get considerably better mpg from it after as near damn it back to back test with same journey.
Both worked out about the same price £/per mile so it means I fill up less using V-Power.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
V-power in preference, Momentum if it's not available wherever I am.

I recorded knock with Momentum on track days and none with v-power. These were days when I arrived with a full tank of one then deliberately filled up from practically empty with the other. Same conditions through the day (air temps, laps done etc)

A significant issue with Momentum is it regularly has a higher ethanol content than v-power and ethanol absorbs lots of water over time.

I believe Tesco don't sell much of it at each station (have you noticed how long sometimes the pumps take to get going?) and absorbed water lowers the RON of the fuel.

That's my thinking on why I've gotten more knock from Momentum every time I've logged my car under decent load.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Always V power unless I'm desperate..

Why, I'm a snob and don't like super saver supermarket fuel.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
BUT why use either? Why not just use momentum as its cheaper? = more smiles per miles :):):):):):):):):).... and not use vpower at all.
10 miles to the north is my nearest Momentum, 10 miles to the south is my nearest V power. I put in which ever I'm closest to at the time :)

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I got told by tuner few years back he recommends v power because it's a consistent octane of fuel where as Tesco and bp used to change a lot and when he was mapping and setting up cars v power was the better one so I will only use shell as I want the best for my engines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I'll also add that I'm not convinced by the "added detergents" they oversell as their USPs.

My block was dismantled and this was the result after 65k of having been driven on 75% V-Power, 25% Momentum. Never anything less than 99....

Given very very few drivers ever see the inside of their engine block it's an easy claim to make without it ever being challenged...

·
Registered
621 Posts
V Power as its 5 mins away. On a side note they only have 1 pump and its first on the right with normal pumps 2nd on the right.

Several times I have had cars behind me and I have stopped to put fuel in and they get arsey because I havent moved forward to the 2nd pump stopping them from filling up. Stupid Garage design!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use Momentum all the time because I don't trust Shell formulations. I can remember at least two occasions in the last forty years when their premium product has been proved to caused significant damage to engines and compensation has had to be paid out.

But then I'm old and have a long memory.... (not so much short memory though)

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I use Momentum all the time because I don't trust Shell formulations. I can remember at least two occasions in the last forty years when their premium product has been proved to caused significant damage to engines and compensation has had to be paid out.

But then I'm old and have a long memory.... (not so much short memory though)
The only event I can recall is the Formula Shell issues of the '80s.

High sulphur additives removed carbonised deposits off valves and valve seats of Vauxhall engines in only Denmark, Norway, Malaysia and the UK strangely.

Took them a year to work out it was this doing the damage.

What was the other time?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Your testing my memory now... I think its was in the early 70s during my Rallying period so possibly 72 or 73. Affected a much wider spectrum of cars but details elude me...

Was it at the time Shell was an exclusive fuel provider to Ferrari F1 and the fuel at the pump claimed to be the same formulation? Or was that the 80s one?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
The only other She'll related story I remember is the false advertising over "Fuelsave" which was no better than bog standard unleaded.

They've had Formula, Optimax, etcetc etc.

The usual corporate Bullshit of marketing over product developmentz

1 - 20 of 205 Posts