Vpower or Tesco momentum

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What does Tesco tell you that it is?

e-charge
At a minimum Tesco tell you it's BS EN7800 standard compliant, which actually means quite a lot.

It's also regularly tested for this.

I'd also argue that to add a significant sum of additives to a fuel (as shell claim) without altering the RON Value is actually quite a tough thing to do.

Also, what's cheap fuel? All fuel is crude oil put through a fractional distillation process - again it's pretty tough to end up with a significantly different grade of unleaded from this process which is also BS compliant.

The supermarkets just buy wholesale from the refineries, and because they are generally selling more fuel and have a more efficient supply chain that's why they are often cheaper.

As for V-Power vs Momentum, having had the same issue with the pump taking ages to kick in I'd say the theory of momentum hanging around in the tank for longer and absorbing water is probably sound. I still use momentum a my prime fuel though and mapped on it makes excellent power.

·
Registered
230 Posts
At a minimum Tesco tell you it's BS EN7800 standard compliant, which actually means quite a lot.

It's also regularly tested for this.

I'd also argue that to add a significant sum of additives to a fuel (as shell claim) without altering the RON Value is actually quite a tough thing to do.

Also, what's cheap fuel? All fuel is crude oil put through a fractional distillation process - again it's pretty tough to end up with a significantly different grade of unleaded from this process which is also BS compliant.

The supermarkets just buy wholesale from the refineries, and because they are generally selling more fuel and have a more efficient supply chain that's why they are often cheaper.

As for V-Power vs Momentum, having had the same issue with the pump taking ages to kick in I'd say the theory of momentum hanging around in the tank for longer and absorbing water is probably sound. I still use momentum a my prime fuel though and mapped on it makes excellent power.
A sensible and well-thought out response.
Thanks for your input dude.

e-charge

·
Registered
230 Posts
And how am I a fuel fan boy? I specifically said that I noticed a performance increase moving from one to another.

That's not being a fan boy - that's utilising a better product.

e-charge

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Who gives a shit, everyone has their chosen fuel for whatever reason, even if it is based on just their bum dyno!!

I use both and don't notice a difference with either, the car was mapped on momentum and always feels strong which ever of the two I put in and it never dets.

·
Super Moderator
15,534 Posts
Everyone is getting a bit bored now, can we agree to disagree. I always think things like fuel are so subjective, and different batches thrown into the mix and basically people will never agree. So lets leave it at that should we....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
can someone clear things up, on the pump it states (at my local fuel stations)
shell v-power 97 ron
bp ultimate 98 ron
tesco momentum 99 ron

I've tried all 3, i use momentum when i can as i get less det. on a long uphill coming on boost in taller gears i get a little flash on the dash indicating det on v-power.
on bp the car just does not seem to run as crisp.

my question is has any evidence of what the fuels actually test at?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
can someone clear things up, on the pump it states (at my local fuel stations)
shell v-power 97 ron
bp ultimate 98 ron
tesco momentum 99 ron

I've tried all 3, i use momentum when i can as i get less det. on a long uphill coming on boost in taller gears i get a little flash on the dash indicating det on v-power.
on bp the car just does not seem to run as crisp.

my question is has any evidence of what the fuels actually test at?
V Power is 99 ron, hence the comparison with Momentum.

There's been a lot of bitching on this thread, but if you read back over Dudersvr's posts they are the most informative.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Just a shame we cant get E85 on the pump anymore.
We mapped a couple of 911 Turbos on a Super unleaded/20% methanol mix and got over 100hp increase (cars were around 600hp on super alone), flex fuel made this idiot proof for owners.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Personally I'd never use E85. Too much hassle with clogging fuel pump filters and injectors. Far too much maintenance on a daily driver like mine.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Personally I'd never use E85. Too much hassle with clogging fuel pump filters and injectors. Far too much maintenance on a daily driver like mine.
After investigating and talking to people like ASNU if its not used constantly then an occasional filter check seems to keep everything hunky dory, if it takes me a couple of hours once a year to clean filters I think thats acceptable maintenance to gain the HP that E85 affords, after all we accept more oil changes and trans fluid changes/checks as part of doing a lot of track work.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
After investigating and talking to people like ASNU if its not used constantly then an occasional filter check seems to keep everything hunky dory, if it takes me a couple of hours once a year to clean filters I think thats acceptable maintenance to gain the HP that E85 affords, after all we accept more oil changes and trans fluid changes/checks as part of doing a lot of track work.
what about having to use one third bigger injectors, losing fine resolution for nice idle control and also having only 75% of the range on a full tank?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
what about having to use one third bigger injectors, losing fine resolution for nice idle control and also having only 75% of the range on a full tank?
Ill go 12 injector kit so it will always idle as it does now, I wont use E85 as a road fuel as its not available on the pump so mileage doesnt matter, however I will in europe where its about 40p a litre. With flex fuel its idiot proof automatically runs the correct map for % of ethanol, so as you add unleaded it switches to the appropriate map.

·
Registered
602 Posts
NOT a GTR but "M" cars, all my cars M3 E90/M5/M6 GC CP? and two F80 M3's hate TESCO99, I run them on...........................Sainsbury 97........I know you think it's shite, but I get 3/5 MPG more from it.:eek:
The cars run great on it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Costco Fuel ??

The Mrs gets ordinary 4 star for her car (Lexus) from Costco and it is always at least 5p a litre cheaper than Shell.
On Saturday I noticed they have 99 Ron fuel at £1.15 - it is only 2 miles from home so I am going to fill up with this next time - has anyone had any experience of it?

My only concern is that every time I go into Costco I end up buying catering size packs of everything that end up lasting for bloody ages - hopefully they don't have a minimum quantity of 100 gallons :)

I have used shell V power 99% of the time in the 8 years I have had the car which is at stage 4.25. Sometimes it runs absolutely brilliantly but occasionally it seems 'a bit rough' I have never thought to consider if that might be due to fuel sitting at the forecourt or in my tank for a while as sometimes I can go 3 weeks plus without refilling.

141 - 160 of 205 Posts