GTR Forum banner

Vpower or Tesco momentum

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
The Mrs gets ordinary 4 star for her car (Lexus) from Costco and it is always at least 5p a litre cheaper than Shell.
On Saturday I noticed they have 99 Ron fuel at £1.15 - it is only 2 miles from home so I am going to fill up with this next time - has anyone had any experience of it?

My only concern is that every time I go into Costco I end up buying catering size packs of everything that end up lasting for bloody ages - hopefully they don't have a minimum quantity of 100 gallons :)

I have used shell V power 99% of the time in the 8 years I have had the car which is at stage 4.25. Sometimes it runs absolutely brilliantly but occasionally it seems 'a bit rough' I have never thought to consider if that might be due to fuel sitting at the forecourt or in my tank for a while as sometimes I can go 3 weeks plus without refilling.
See above, it isn't just 99 RON they brand it Kirkland Signature, their signature items they stand behind in terms of quality and I probably have more confidence in Costco than the average independent Shell Garage.

I have been running mine almost exclusively on Costco fuel for over a year now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That was my thoughts Andy, anything in store that they put their own name to is always very good quality, so no reason why the fuel shouldn't be the same.

There is also loads of room to manoeuvre around the pumps, there is never a queue and everything is always clean, with cheap prices and only 2 miles away from me its a no brainer.

No doubt somebody with more technical knowledge can comment on the quality of the fuel in due course, however from what I have read on this thread the comment may be more opinion than hard facts.

One thing I can do is check the MPG. I have measured every single fill of fuel since I had the car so I will confidently be able to comment on this aspect in due course when I have done enough fills.

Neil

·
Registered
904 Posts
That was my thoughts Andy, anything in store that they put their own name to is always very good quality, so no reason why the fuel shouldn't be the same.

There is also loads of room to manoeuvre around the pumps, there is never a queue and everything is always clean, with cheap prices and only 2 miles away from me its a no brainer.

No doubt somebody with more technical knowledge can comment on the quality of the fuel in due course, however from what I have read on this thread the comment may be more opinion than hard facts.

One thing I can do is check the MPG. I have measured every single fill of fuel since I had the car so I will confidently be able to comment on this aspect in due course when I have done enough fills.

Neil
Based upon your location we almost certainly use the same Costco fuel stop ;)

I sometimes use the Chadderton one too when heading back home from Leeds but others aren't quite as good. Liverpool which has been there for a few years doesn't have a good design and can be quite busy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
North East of Scotland is fairly limited in choices, certainly no Costco, Exxon etc. I tend to run V-Power/Momentum 3 of 4 tanks then a 4th tank of 95 RON. Reason being that the premium fuels tend to have too many "cleaning" additives removing the lubricating effects. Just my tuppence worth.

David

261 Posts
I'll put it this way:

Super car manufacturers don't top their production cars up with Tesco's fuel, they use V-Power.

If it was about saving ££££ trust me they would, they just use the best available, which is V-Power.
I recently secured a 2016 R8 V10 Plus from a McLaren dealer, for a customer of ours.

Once we had paid for it and arranged delivery, it went straight on the dyno for a tune and wasn't responded as hoped.... It turns out they brimmed it with 95 RON and after a call to the McLaren dealer, admitted to it! :confused::confused:

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I recently secured a 2016 R8 V10 Plus from a McLaren dealer, for a customer of ours.

Once we had paid for it and arranged delivery, it went straight on the dyno for a tune and wasn't responded as hoped.... It turns out they brimmed it with 95 RON and after a call to the McLaren dealer, admitted to it! :confused::confused:
The dealers are not the factory!

But goes to show you the difference the fuel makes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all.
I use mostly momentum because it's closer for me. Use Shell when I see a station and am getting low ! Not sure I notice much difference in performance. Maybe a little better on Shell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I worked for Ferrari for 5 years in sales and we used Tesco fuel in all our cars with no problems. Not even momentum most of the time just regular fuel. Never ever had a customer complain about a lack of power.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I worked for Ferrari for 5 years in sales and we used Tesco fuel in all our cars with no problems. Not even momentum most of the time just regular fuel. Never ever had a customer complain about a lack of power.
Er. I'd be more concerned about pinking and actual damage to the engine, not just a slight power reduction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Er. I'd be more concerned about pinking and actual damage to the engine, not just a slight power reduction.

hell yes! Nissan tell's you super only in the manual and on the petrol cap as well..

·
Registered
353 Posts
hell yes! Nissan tell's you super only in the manual and on the petrol cap as well..
It's fine of its mapped to the right fuel. Otherwise a big no no. Still, interesting to know how Ferrari treat their cars. £200k for the car and then scrimp a couple quid on the petrol.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
It's fine of its mapped to the right fuel. Otherwise a big no no. Still, interesting to know how Ferrari treat their cars. £200k for the car and then scrimp a couple quid on the petrol.

yeah its madness! I've only had to use normal unleaded once in my R35, I was in the middle of Wales, getting low on fuel and had to fill up.. Luckily my cars mapped, so popped it into map 3 which is the normal unleaded map, drove a good few hours on this and the car was fine, it felt underpowered on the map, but it will as it's compensating for the fuel, but still it ran just fine until i got to a petrol station when it was near low again, and filled up with super and back onto map 1.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #177

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Haha yes I know what you mean.

I've had a few crappy batches of vpower this year so have started sticking momentum in again. I would happily use the Costco stuff too but none local to me

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
last shell Vpower blurb from flyer I picked up yesterday, make from it what you will.. haha.

161 - 180 of 205 Posts