GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After going out in Peter E's car and comparing the activity on the Torque splitter guage to mine, It got me wondering how much time does your car spend in 4wd ?

If I put my foot down hard the car invariably goes into 4wd with the torque guage going up to about 3/4 of its maximum travel.

However when I spent a fairly considerable amount of time watching the guage in Peters 33 his guage rarely even blipped a bit let alone 3/4 of the maximum possible torque going to the front. ( I suppose that would work out as 3/8 of the power going to the front wheels.)

so my question as stated above, how much activity is there on your guage ?
It could be that I come off of the clutch too hard or some other difference in driving, we all know that Peter is Mr Smooth on the track...:D :D Or could it be a difference in the V-Spec and non V-spec, or maybe it is just tyres and suspension set up.....opinions ?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
Torque split

I have found that tyre pressures make a lot of difference here, and that if they are all the same pressure, straight line shenanigans have little or no impact on the guage.

I guess the system is very sensitive to the change in tyre circumference that would result from having differing pressures.

Chris

·
Registered
666 Posts
Torque Gauge

On my second V-Spec now.
As Guy says never seen it move much...
Rarely as much as half way, and you usually do something fairly scary to make that much happen
Ged

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Steve,

Heavy acceleration in low gears on less than dry roads will provoke a lot of torque being sent to the front but when we went to Bedford, most of the time we were at higher speeds and as my 33 is only a baby, it's only when you floor it higher up the rev range say coming out of a slow/medium corner will she push some up to the front, i.e. power slide. Yesterday, I did keep half an eye on the torque gauge, when I could, and very little ever went to the front.

Perhaps you've got a hyper active gauge or may be you need to spend more than £20 per tyre next time! ;)

Peter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I have a combination of things happening, Heavy right foot,nismo single plate paddle clutch (very short throw) and tyre pressures not right...

Guy, I had the same sort of fear so I put it on the Diagnostic thingy that nissan garages have and had a look at all of the self diagnostics everything checked out ok I didn't try changing anything though. we also had a play with the rear wheel steering, I was expecting it to move a lot more than it does !!

Peter, That is why I was so surprised to see my guage so active when you have probably got an extra 15-20 bhp, I must get on a dyno...

I figured that with the bit of extra power and a slightly lighter car you'd have had more slip than my car.

Thanks chaps...

/Steve

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Steve,

In all seriousness, tyres may well the reason.... Am I right in thinking that you've also got different tyres front and back?

Peter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aye you are dead right about that...

I am going to do the rears in the spring but I can't see myself doing much driving through the next few months... I shall investigate it more fully when I have a dry road to play on.

If I play my cards right I may just get some new wheels but I'll have to see what my budget looks like after xmas !!

/Steve

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Since I have had my G/Box rebuild the torque split works a lot more. It does not move half way up the gauge but even under hard accel it just lifts from the bottom stop. Its as though its waiting for me to make a mistake and it will leap in to save me.
Before I had the box done it only used to work if the rear lost traction. So wether it was not working before properly I don,t know but it works now. :D
Just my 2p worth
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An example for you, a few weeks ago just about the time when the weather started to get a bit colder, I was out having a blat and there is a nice sweeping bend near where I live so I was nailing it down this road (which has a roundabout at each end)
in every gear the guage was showing almost full swing on the guage and only dropped when I eased off and during changes.

at about 115 mph in fourth gear still pulling like a freight train but the torque guage was well over the 75% mark on it's travel.in all of the other gears up to that point the split guage was showing full torque allowance. under normal driving the car sits quite happily in 2wd so it isn't like it is always 4wd but it just seems really "touchy".
It could have been the bend/damp conditions coupled with the factors above but it seems more active than evryone elses.

the more I think about it the more I wondering if the tyre differences are to blame....

I may try swapping front to back and see what happens then.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have a V spec and the guage moves a little (1/4 the way up max) I went down one of the stately home arty farty gravel drives (about a miles worth) and the rear wheels were losing traction as I was getting a little excited and going all Colin McRea but the torque meter was still only 1/4 up!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Info
I know with my other halfs Jeep we were told that we must have the same make tires on the front and back. If it is put into 4WD with different front and back we could damage the transfer box.
Don,t know if it is the same for the Skyline as the jeep is PERMENANT 4WD or PERMENANT 2WD not progressive like the GTR.
So I think Peter could be right in the fact that the car is adjusting for the different tires.
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan:D

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
The guage on mine doesn't go that far up the scale. True road surface and other variables do make a difference. Since I've had the suspension stiffened and wider tyres plus a few more BHP it does react a little more, but it still takes a major effort to get it 3/4 up the guage.

John

·
Registered
338 Posts
My R33 GTR has about 360ish BHP, standard wheels and Bridgestone SO2's.

In the dry on a good road I still get about 1/3 to halfway up the gauge flat out in second and a little less in 3rd and 4th.

Also giving it stick in the bends produces 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the gauge depending on how sideways the car is :p

I asked Mark at Abbey if the car was working OK and everything felt normal with regard to the 4wd etc last time I was there and he confirmed my car was acting as it should.

Maybe you just need some good rubber on the rears ???;)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
gtr active

what to do is get a very good flat garage surface and jack your car up at the back under the rear diff.
jack up car until the wheels are just off the ground then get someone to walk with the jack.then put your car into 1st gear let your clutch out very slow. if your gearbox is ok the car will move forward with the drive going to the front wheels.
if it does not move you know your box needs looked at.

keith

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Keith,

I know the 4wd is working fine as it spends most if its time in it if I rag the car....

Like I said I have had the consono diagnostic tool plugged into it and the various systems are all reporting back fine.
I agree with the rubber idea, I had to change the fronts in a bit of hurry and I left the rears as I was going on a trackday.

I'll get some more tyres...Xmas bonus spent. DOH !!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
ALL I KNOW IS THAT THIS TELLS YOU THAT THE 4WD ECU AND THE PUMP IS WORKING IT CAN NOT TELL YOU IF THE CLUTCH PLATES IN THE TRANSFER BOX ARE PAST THERE BEST.

KEITH

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Steve,

I too watched Peters torque gauge and was surprised at what I saw.

I was wondering of he had a sticky needle as it never reacted subtly to
anything, just 0 then, Bang 50%.

Like you Steve I do see movement in a straight line at
mid throttle and above, but never the 3/4 you report. More like 1/3-1/2.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gauge showed 50%

Hi

Agree with Scott. Back in the summer. on a dry road 30 - 40 degree right hander in a dip in either 3rd or 4th [can't remember] but sticking the pedal to the metal, my passenger noted the gauge went from zilch to 50%. Shod on SO2's with the same tyre pressure alround, at the time.

Rgds Ian W.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts