GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.:wavey:
I'm new to the whole GTR thing and am currently weighing up options.
Is the V Spec really that much better than a say 2012 spec car?
Or would the accepted wisdom of a 2012 plus some Litchfield witchcraft result in a better car overall?
I am a little concerned with the Carbon Brakes on the V spec as they would, I assume be rather pricey and I do wish to do a good few track days.
Any opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
V-spec is really a collectors item, its cost is ridiculous for what you get.

Other than the turbos which can be easily improved on you'd be far better off with an MY11 onwards car, or even an earlier car with more money for track biased mods.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V-spec is really a collectors item, its cost is ridiculous for what you get.

Other than the turbos which can be easily improved on you'd be far better off with an MY11 onwards car, or even an earlier car with more money for track biased mods.
How do people think the R35 V spec will hold on in terms of future values?
If you look at R33 and R34 V specs they are commanding strong money compared with regular models.
Do we think that will go the same way with the R35?
I have to admit to lusting after a V spec from the moment I clapped eyes on it and this is due to be a "dream purchase" car.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
How do people think the R35 V spec will hold on in terms of future values?
If you look at R33 and R34 V specs they are commanding strong money compared with regular models.
Do we think that will go the same way with the R35?
I have to admit to lusting after a V spec from the moment I clapped eyes on it and this is due to be a "dream purchase" car.
All you'll get is opinions.

The V spec is rare because it was overpriced and not that much better than a stock car.
It's currently up for sale about £30k more than a stock car of the same age I believe.
Does anyone really believe it'll be worth £30k more ina few years when the NISMO is out, a much more special version of the R35.

Look at how long the V spec has been for sale.
It's not sold because it's not woth the cash (IMO).
I personally think that if you part exchange the car in a few years you'll get royally shafted.

If you want to lose money in depreciation, buy a newer one instead.
They are better sorted all round cars.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
but it doesn't look any different!

It was far more overpriced compared to the stock model than the R33 and R34 versions but without being superior.

You are only paying for the exclusivity but not really any technical improvements of note.

Judging by how much the value has plummeted, I think the V-spec R35 pitches itself as something as a 360 Challenge stradle or a 430 scuderia, the trouble is the base R35 is not special in the same way as the ferraris are and therefore the comparison and marketing exercise by Nissan just doesn't work.

If it's your dream purchase then go for it, but don't do it because you think it will hold money, especially if you want to track it and mod it.

The My11 is a far better car all round than the V-spec which equally won't have done much for its value.

The Nismo is probably a better example of a special edition to buy for investment purposes but even then I think that notion is flawed. Trouble is my views are extreme on this so best to get a lot more views than mine before taking a decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but it doesn't look any different!

It was far more overpriced compared to the stock model than the R33 and R34 versions but without being superior.

You are only paying for the exclusivity but not really any technical improvements of note.

Judging by how much the value has plummeted, I think the V-spec R35 pitches itself as something as a 360 Challenge stradle or a 430 scuderia, the trouble is the base R35 is not special in the same way as the ferraris are and therefore the comparison and marketing exercise by Nissan just doesn't work.

If it's your dream purchase then go for it, but don't do it because you think it will hold money, especially if you want to track it and mod it.

The My11 is a far better car all round than the V-spec which equally won't have done much for its value.

The Nismo is probably a better example of a special edition to buy for investment purposes but even then I think that notion is flawed. Trouble is my views are extreme on this so best to get a lot more views than mine before taking a decision.
I a gree with you wholeheartedly.
I can see a 2011 with some mods suiting me better, although I love how the V spec looks and that opalescent colour is gorgeous.
Sooooooo many decisions to be made.
Keep the opinions coming, brick through a window ones included. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Go with a my11 and mod it. Litcho suspension & stg4 is pretty much perfect imho!
You can also get it wrapped to whichever colour too. All for near enough same money as the vspec.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There was only 50 something sold globally, maybe 10 years it'll be worth a premium, but I would get your hopes up now that the nismo stuff is coming out.

Vspec has larger turbo I though so might tune better.

·
Registered
754 Posts
GT-R SpecV turbo's are the same as those in the GT3 race car ...and also those used in the new nismo.

Unless money is no object it wouldn't seem sensible to track the SpecV as that would likely diminish its (possible) value to collectors. Also, as it's based on a CBA you'd probably want to modify it to bring it up to spec.

Far better off with an older car and budget to modify it to your liking, as that will exceed the capability of any new standard model for road and track.

Protegimus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GT-R SpecV turbo's are the same as those in the GT3 race car ...and also those used in the new nismo.

Unless money is no object it wouldn't seem sensible to track the SpecV as that would likely diminish its (possible) value to collectors. Also, as it's based on a CBA you'd probably want to modify it to bring it up to spec.

Far better off with an older car and budget to modify it to your liking, as that will exceed the capability of any new standard model for road and track.

Protegimus
What does "CBA" mean Protegimus?
I think the general consensus is to buy a 2012 spec car and modify.
It does appear to be cheaper.
I'm coming to the GTR by way of 400 + Bhp Cosworths and the last one was a 500 Bhp Nissan 200sx. I feel power may be too useable in standard tune ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
CBA was the UK 2009-2010 model designation, DBA 2011 & thereafter.
2012 will make a great base and initially will be fun to track with just improved brakes and fluids (stock brakes are quickly overwhelmed).
Perhaps do the power mod's in stages thereafter to get the most out of modding, unless you want the significantly improved response, torque and features immediately. A stage 4 with downpipes (silenced Y-pipe if you need for noise restricted tracks) and Ecutek RaceROM makes for a hell of a fun car, yet retains stock road manners.

Protegimus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CBA was the UK 2009-2010 model designation, DBA 2011 & thereafter.
2012 will make a great base and initially will be fun to track with just improved brakes and fluids (stock brakes are quickly overwhelmed).
Perhaps do the power mod's in stages thereafter to get the most out of modding, unless you want the significantly improved response, torque and features immediately. A stage 4 with downpipes (silenced Y-pipe if you need for noise restricted tracks) and Ecutek RaceROM makes for a hell of a fun car, yet retains stock road manners.

Protegimus
Thanks Protegimus. I'm on a steep learning curve with these GTR's.
I usually fix things with hammers and swearing, time for new skills ;)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Just so you realise and consider your options properly. The DBA came in in 2011. The differences between 11,12,13,and 14 are incremental and difficult to even remember.

If modding the best option to start with would be the 11 for reasons of price and also because the incremental differences I mentioned mostly become moot when you mod.

The DBA is easily recognisable as the wheels, interior and front bumper are different. The fastest tell tale is the strip LEDs below the headlights in the front bumper.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Quite a few nice touches on the spec V. Titanium exhaust, gorgeous carbon seats, carbon rear wing, ceramic brakes and of course the sexy paint. Definitely not worth the original list price but at the £75k I think I'd go for it of I was in the market.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Also tweaked suspension and 60kg lighter due to exhaust, wheels & seats; together with the now familiar carbon front splitter and rear carbon spoiler.
Nice carbon trim in the cabin and fantastic colours.

DBA 2012 has mechanical upgrades over the 2011: uprated oil cooler pipes, thermostat & housing (gearbox/diff cooling improvement), oil sump pan (to prevent starvation under high G loads), suspension (lower roll centre), exhaust valves and chassis stiffening. There are claims that the cylinder heads are modified, but I'm not sure that was ever ratified and an improved gearbox shift fork.
The claimed inlet manifold changes are seemingly non-existant.
There's more too, improved Bose, rear view camera, exhaust, bellhousing and software tweaks over previous models (e.g. dynamic ignition advance), but Ecutek takes care of software and you'll want a titanium exhaust to get rid of some of the lard.
If a 2012 is within your budget I'd stick with that as it is genuinely a better mechanical platform for further modification.

A CBA is a genuine option if lower initial cost and greater tuning budget appeals. To put it into perspective the cost difference will pay for a forged engine and Alcon BBK, so you may have a very nice, but difficult choice to make ;)

Protegimus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some great advice here.
Keep it coming.
Protegimus, you're right, there is a very difficult choice to make :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts