GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Seems strange that the info came via Mazda :confused:

The RB26 was killed for emissions reasons and those have not changed so, if it is true that they are running a test-bed with an RB28, I'd guess that it is for comparison only and not considered for production.

I'd still be betting on a VQ engine for Japan. Europe and the US could get a V8.

This is, of course, all IMHO as I know nothing - except it is certain that they do have a few test-beds running around now.....

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea....I was also wondering why it came through Mazda:confused:
I personally dont really care what engine they go for, as long as they take into consideration the possibility for tuning! Unfortunately I think this is not the case, as Mr. Tamura said, Nissan is concentrating in making a car for the new millenium, and that it is time for Nissan to be a little greener. Doesn't sound very promising to me at all...:(

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
:( Yeah thats a pretty negative statement.

Of course, that's the reason why I think Japan will probably get a different engine - the local market demands tunability hehehehe :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino,

Thats what Mr. Tamura told me too, it is time for Nissan to be more environmental friendly.

Environmental friendly = Honda engine, which means NA = not tuneable and very efficent = very little safety of margin over the stock power level = put a turbo on it and it blows up. Everyone I know that have a turbo on a stock Honda motor, doesn't matter what it is (Civic, Integra, CRV, NSX) and how good it was tuned (fully programmable ECU + 50 hours dyno tune), they all blow up sooner or later, depends on boost level really. My friend live next door to me just blew up his turbo DC2 after driving on 7 psi for 6 months or so, he cracked 2 of his pistons. I drove his car once when he first put the turbo on, it was REALLY fast, faster then some supercharged NSX that I have driven, then I look down on the boost gauge, it was pointing to 12 psi on WOT, no wonder, 12 psi with 10.5:1 compression and NA ignition timing.........geez, I back off the gas right away, lucky it didn't blew up when I was driving it :eek: He told me later the boost was turn up by accident :rolleyes:

We got nothing to worry about on the next GTR though. :eek: All we have to worry is how to preserve our R34 GTR as best as we can :p

I thought I don't know anything about GTR, some of those people on freshalloy.com and automotiveforums.com have no clue about anything :rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
A guy I know at Nissan Canada specifically said twin turbo VQ engine. When I asked about a V8, he specifically said no.

All info he provided me about the 350Z was correct, just FYI.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The 350Z info has been public domain for about a year.
So, hopefully, when we get to Christmas this year there should be some more 'official' news about the next GT-R. It would be nice if it's the TAS - as you said :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I would say the Japanese aftermarket will be really pissed if the GT-R doesn't come factory turbos charged. That makes tuning it very expensive. Can't believe its going to happen. I'm with Bean and S2Rob on the VQ turbo (although so far it appears to have a soft block).

Cya O!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We'll soon know about the VQ block strength. Top Secret is building a turbo 350Z to compete at the Silver State Classic. They say they need to maintain speeds above 200mph to be competitive, so I figure they need 500hp or so.

Visit their website at www.topsecretjpn.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
hipogtr said:
I would say the Japanese aftermarket will be really pissed if the GT-R doesn't come factory turbos charged. That makes tuning it very expensive. Can't believe its going to happen. I'm with Bean and S2Rob on the VQ turbo (although so far it appears to have a soft block).

Cya O!
Are the JGTC GTR's still running the VQ36DETT? If so, I think that'll be the engine of choice....... has to be a reason for them to swap from the RB

Also, I heard that HKS already has a bolt on TWin turbo kit for the new 350Z

·
Registered
766 Posts
i have read somewhere on a Japanese magazine website (cant remember the URL) that they spotted a Nissan Stagea testing in Japan, and the engine had the noise of a supercharger.They were saying that the Stagea has been used before to test the GT-R drivetrain, and that they have reason to believe that this car may have been a mule for the new GT-R engine

·
Registered
811 Posts
I talked with a Middlehurst Motorsport mechanic (Uk's only official Nissan GT-R dealership) and he told me that Nissan had hinted to them (nothing official ofcourse) that they felt the R34 GT-R's engine being turbocharged was a 'BIG' mistake for them.

Back in 1999 they where looking into the idea of a NON turbo engine, a larger cubes approach, higher revving, normally aspirated engine (honda revving style) for the next GT-R... e.g. something like a 3.5 litre block with computer controlled valve timing for low emissions (next generation neo valve timing perhaps?). As for tuning potential, I wouldn't hold your breath! One thing is for sure they need to aim for 400 bhp+... even Merc's SL AMG has 500 ponies to play with these days...

I hope this does not happen. I love modified turbo engines. If they do ditch the twin turbo's it will be a very sad day, I'm already gutted they didn't decide to make a RB35DETT.

If the rumours are true that the engine is no longer turbocharged NISSAN will Kill the skyline for the fans. If this happens I will ultimately buy a Porsche 911 Tubby and say goodbye to the Nissan tinboxes...

Trev

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Trevor said:
If the rumours are true that the engine is no longer turbocharged NISSAN will Kill the skyline for the fans...
I dont think that will be strictly true, for sure a lot of the current base of fans will get upset, and understandably so, noone likes change right?, but eventually most of the REAL fans who have an appreciation of what the car represents will probably learn to love it regardless of its engine. Personally as much as I love turbos, I do also have inner hankerings for big N/A engines... I hate to go all american on yas but .. there is no real substitute for cubic inches ;)

I remember one hell of a hubbub when Porsche made the 996 engines watercooled, people saying that the 993 would be there last 911's etc, and think how many of those little suckers they have sold now... Its all hot air, my personal opinion is that anyone that really loves the Skyline for what it is, will love it in all its flavors, be it powered by turbos, superchargers, atmospheric pressure alone or turnip juice.

The Skyline is for life, everything else is for Christmas :D Whatever Nissan do, as long as its an official UK car, they have my full support.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure the new GT-R wil be a great car, but if it fails to hold up the tradition of real GT-Rs then I already have a back up plan:D

Tommy Kaira ZZ-II....:p ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well, I'm not so sure about this....

NA vs Turbo is a very personal thing. It changes the whole character of a car.

Some people swear by Normally Aspirated engines, personally I swear by Turbocharged ones. For me, I cannot seem to beat the feeling of torque building up on a good modified turbo lump. The rush of boost is something i have always loved, been excited by, its a bit like a legal drug (just about legal!). The sheer umph when the boost goes hard, 'full on' is something I reveal in, in a well sorted car this can feel like nos. Its also the easiest type of engine to get excellent power upgrades on for little money. As for turbo lag, well the GT-R shows just how far they've come these days. The fact that most turbo charged engines can ring out another 30-40% more power with just the normal stuff, air filer, exhaust and boost controller just does it for me.

I've always been keen on lower cc engines which weight less and are efficient with high specific outputs. This, normally for the cars I've ever bought (like MR2 Turbo, mid-ship engine layout) and the like, has always meant less weight and better handling capabilities with less inertia from the engines - the big CC engines just remind me of extra weight and compromised ham-strung by the weighty handling. Even with excellent computer controlled handling like on the GT-R your still aware your carrying over 1600 kilos into a corner...

The ideal weight, power for a car for me would be around 1100-1200 kilos with around 400-500 bhp with a 50/50 weight distribution, anything more weighty is too heavy. This is why its now taking 500 bhp and 5 litres for a merc SL to get to 60mph in 5 seconds, too much weight!

The idea of a normally aspirated engine actually put me off buying an NSX because while there was no doubting it felt fast, the performance was just too 'linear' and I wanted more power. I know, I know, that real racing drivers prefer linear because its preditable (no sudden rush of boost sending you off that racing line) but its really excellent to have in-car adjustible boost to suite your driving mood. Its also nice having more power in your car than people think you've got for those supercar scaring moments you get from time to time....

Obviously all my opinions are entirely personal and I am sure there are many more people who love n/a's more...

T

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Dino: Cool idea! I hope you'll be sticking around on the forum even if you become a Tommy Kaira man!

Trevor: Fair enough sir, sound statements indeed. I just love the "Skyline" for all that it was, is and will be. So really to me the engine is just secondary. I realise that sounds rediculous, but thats me :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino...........any recent news about the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II? That is absolutely my dream car of all time.......Z-tuned RB26DETT, MR, looks of the Mclaren F1 :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D I couldn't ask for anything more.

Trevor............I agree with you 100%, I couldn't have said that better myself. I can only wish the NSX is factory turbocharged, it is such an amazing car.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
For me the Skyline appeal is the tuneability. If they ditch the turbos, much of the appeal goes.

For me, a perfect Skyline engine would be about 3.5 litres and have twin sequential turbos.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts