GTR Forum banner

V8, Yay or Nay

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Just to stick my two penny into the Engine debate...

[2PENCE]If Nissan think the next GT-R is going to earn the accolade of "Supercar" with a V6, then I believe they are mistaken. Though admittedly the Porsche 911 family is regarded in Supercar status, I dont think Nissan can pull it off this late in the day with a V6. It needs 8 or more cylinders, especially if the new Supra does get the V10 as I read somewhere...

No amount of Turbos makes a V6 into a supercar engine, just ask the people that bought XJ220's... More cylinders and capacity please Nissan and loose the turbos, it needs a supercharger...[/2PENCE]

My 2p :D

·
6,817 Posts
dan0h said:
... More cylinders and capacity please Nissan and loose the turbos, it needs a supercharger...[/2PENCE]

My 2p :D

. . . you're right with that , western status of supercars lies in the big engines ( the engines no-one can earn, and because of that they are exclusiv) . . .but I hope the new GTR will stick with something similar like the Rb26dett, because if I look at the huge refinements aknowledged in the japanese tuning scene with that Rb engine, it would be a mistake to swap all those knowledge for V8 prestige . . . please Nissan , where ever the genius-engineers of the Skylines are , resurect them and give us a 2007 technologie RB S6 engine.
The Rb engine range is not just brilliant, I compare the making of thoses engines with the forging of a Samurai Katana . . . .it's japanese art!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
gtrlux said:
The Rb engine range is not just brilliant, I compare the making of thoses engines with the forging of a Samurai Katana . . . .it's japanese art!
In all honesty I personally feel they should never have scrapped the RB, if I were the big-boss man I'd have had the block redesigned slightly longer and in Aluminium with a 2-3mm oversize on the bores, and then commissioned a new cylinder head to get it through those pesky emissions, then put the development people on getting a roots-type supercharger on it, with variable inlet and exhaust cams... But sadly, the RB came to an end... :(

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
A supercharger would eat up so much power it would need
alot more capacity that the current straight 6 could offer IMO.

A revey V8 like Audi's new engine but with turbos would be more like it.:smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Hmm, well SAAB were experimenting with Superchargers on their 1.5 5-cyl Variable Compression engine a few years ago and were getting fantastic results with it.

As for charging a 2.8/2.9 RB replacement, keeping a short stroke will allow the revs to give it fairly big power top end (recall that horsepower sells), but being charged and VVT will perk it at low revs, and better yet give it the kind of power delivery people expect from a "Supercar" - ie. Not a turbo-style All-In-One delivery - which is unacceptable for a high price supercar in this day and age... :)

We should run a fantasy-engine-builders league on the forum! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes the sky engine has always been straight 6 never v6.
i think the v8 will be a completely different and radical concept for the GT-R especially with TT!!!
i also have a 3.0 v6 cossie but in a xr4i (please dont laugh i like it!!!)

·
Registered
771 Posts
There quite alot of debate and speculation here isn't there lol , it was unofficially annouced 2 years ago (EVO Mag) it will be a 6 cyl bi-turbo - now i know that a 2 yr old announcment cant be taken for the truth but i still believe it wont be proved wrong.

Having said that, whats to say the US GTR wont utilise a V8 (maybe NA) and the Japan/UK variants use a 6 cyl turbo'd engine?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Marky_GTSt said:
Tickford, Now theres a name I havnt heard in a while, R33_GTS-t, did you ever see the Triumph Stag they did ?

Sorry to go off topic a bit......................

Mark.
They did a stag? I've seen a stag with a capri V6 with a turbo conv b4, but it wasn't built by tickford.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
The V8 is a no-no for this car. this is a SKYLINE!!!! I think even the v6 doesn't suit it fully, A true skyline has an inline 6 twin turbo (apart from the really early models such as the KPGC10 which had 2 litre 4 pots) I think a modernized RB would be cool

·
Registered
10 Posts
it's going to be a waste of time and money, plus, i heard it's not going to be even nissan, it was going to have an engine headed by euro-krauts, and that very few parts were going to be used in the car that was actually japanese, there's probably not even going to be attesa

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
'Reno'!!!! Thats an air race! :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Renault does not own Nissan, they have shares in Nissan,
as Nissan has shares in Renault. Kind of a technology crossover.

But the GTR will be all Nissan and Japaneese.

The attesa will be there but in new different form from what
we are used to.

I'd love to tell more, but I can't. :(

God it is killing me.:nervous:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am actually partly excied, parly nervous to the launch of this new car. This is the most awaited car launch of the decade without question. Get it right it'll be great. Get it wrong........I don't even want to think about it :(

21 - 40 of 98 Posts