GTR Forum banner

V8, Yay or Nay

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
dont do it dude, lol. u know for a fact straight 6 is the best thing engine wise ... but come on ppl, u all know for a fact that the skyline= 6 spd., awd attessa, hicas, and the infamous rb26dett... w/o even one of those components, it's not a skyline

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont like the bodystyle:mad: , it's ok. im used to a boxy design but i can say that the skyline-tailights are still genuinely badass!!! as much as i dont want to admit it, it'll b decent, just no er34, gtr, or 400r:mad:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
correct me if i am wrong? - - if it it doesnt have the "RB" (race bread) decals b4 the engine type, then surely it is just another mainstream engine with a few "bolt-ons"? and not the revolutionary engine design like the original RB26DETT of past?

lets hope "true" race engineers have had an input, and not the accountants of nissan!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
IMHO the biggest thing that lets the RB down is capacity; I've always thought it would have been better as a 3.5 or 4.0 litre. That way we could have big power and still get good response across the board and it would be less "all or nothing" as dan0h was describing.

I wouldn't want to lose the ability to rev though so I'd want the new engine to be quite oversquare as is the current RB. This would mean it would have to have a much wider bore. This ought to help in the power stakes anyway because valve area plays a large part in the power potential of an engine.

As a 6 cyl, a 100mm bore and 80mm stroke would give approx 3.8 litres but the block would need to be 100mm or so longer. A V8 would be far more compact and probably better for weight distribution. A V6 just doesn't feel right.

Besides, tuned V8 engines sound awesome.

·
Banned
35 Posts
a 3.5~4.0 litre V8 with twin or even quad turbos would be worthy of gracing the new GTR!:)

If designed right, they can get a V8 to rev very well. You just have to look at V8 f1 engines hitting some 20k rpm. If we have one that does 10k for the road that would be just fantastic!!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
F1 Engines get scrapped after the race, i wouldnt want to keep replacing my engine after driving around for a while :p

but i think now the rules have changed, and you can use your F1 engine for 2 races then you can change it :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just to be different IMO two rb26 engines should be used to produce a V12 with quad turbo's . Will be a bit heavy but hell it would go!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Funny thread! I like the idea of an Inline V6 hahaha

Stick whatever in the new one as long as it's:

- Tourquey and fast
- Doesn't weigh a ton
- Sounds as good as an RB
- Easily tunable and over engineered as the RB26/30.

:)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
- Easily tunable and over engineered as the RB26/30.
I think we're all going to have a hard reality to face on this one - its almost a given that the car is going to have more controlling electronic hardware than the space shuttle. I wouldnt mind betting it'll be an ass to tune - initally atleast. Even as we speak despite the length of time it has been out, there still isnt a nice full replacement management system for the Z33 that can take control of the cams and throttle. The new GTR will be more of the same I'd guess. :(

41 - 60 of 98 Posts