GTR Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contacted by the owner of this car to see if i could do anything to the paintwork as the owner felt that the car was looking dull and not how it should for such an iconic supercar.
The car was booked in for a stage 2 correction detail, full interior detail and to have the calipers painted.

The developement of the Diablo:

At a time when the company was financed by the Swiss-based Mimram brothers, Lamborghini began development of what was codenamed Project 132 in June 1985 as a replacement for the Countach model. The brief stated that its top speed had to be at least 315 km/h.

The design of the car was contracted to Marcello Gandini, who had designed its two predecessors. When Chrysler bought the company in 1987, providing money to complete its development, its management was unimpressed with Gandini’s designs and commissioned its design team in Detroit to execute a third extensive redesign, smoothing out the trademark sharp edges and corners of Gandini's original design, and leaving him famously unimpressed.

The car became known as the Diablo, despite meaning "Devil" in English, carrying on Lamborghini's tradition of naming its cars after breeds of fighting bull. The Diablo was named after a ferocious bull raised by the Duke of Veragua in the 19th century, famous for fighting an epic battle with 'El Chicorro' in Madrid on July 11 1869. In the words of Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson, the Diablo was designed "solely to be the biggest head-turner in the world."

The project is believed to have cost a total of 6,000,000,000 lira.

So on with the detail -

I took delivery of the car at my unit and began with the usual wash method,
The car is not used too much so just had a fine layer of dust over it.

With the wash process complete i proceeded to move the car into the unit and dried it with the new Elite car care drying towel which did the job very well :thumb:

So it was time to move onto the claying and if im honest i have never come across a car more contaminated than this one :doublesho I mean running your fingers over any panel was rough like sandpaper and i don't mean that lightly.
For the contamination removal i opted for Bilt Hamber clay and used water as the lube as instructed, This left the whole car as smmoth as it should be and did it quickly it really is a nice clay :thumb:

Ok now the moment of truth :doublesho I turnt on the lights to see just how bad the defects were:
Note that some areas had paint bubbling so extra caution was taken when detailing these areas.

For the removal of defects after testing a few combo's i went with Menz IP followed by Menz FF which gave a lovely swirl free finish but just left a few RDS's which with some of the reading i got off the car were not going to be tried.

With the correction work done i went on to remove some body parts that were very hard to properly clean around:

Also at this point i removed the wheels for the caliper/hub painting:

All wheels removed they were properly cleaned and sealed using Zaino CS :thumb:

Check out the width of a rear :doublesho

Onto the exhaust system and this was cleaned using Belgum Alu:

So the calipers and hubs painted the wheels refitted and the other body parts fitted it was time for a IPA wipe down and to call in some LSP back up :lol:
Q the A-Team theme and who rolls up on my door? :doublesho
None other than the D 2 THE O 2 THE D 2 THE O BOYZ :wave:

Dom and PJ popped over after hearing that there was a Diablo within a 25 mile radius of DODO towers and said they had just the ticket :thumb:
The new unreleased Purple Haze Pro :thumb:

The boys in action while i supervised :thumb:

And the finished article:

Thanks to:
Dom & PJ -DoDo Boys for the great banter and helping out with the waxing :thumb:
Alex - Elite car care for helping out and being on tap to raise my account amount with bits and pieces :thumb:

Thank you for taking the time to look :thumb:

Robbie

1 - 1 of 1 Posts