GTR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have diagnosed a sound in my head that is 99% probably valve lash. So the cam covers are going to come off. Sound wasn't there after the rebuild and for a year afterwards, but after a weekend of raising the rev limit to 9500rpm, it started.

Anyone know off the top of their heads what the cam clearance is supposed to be on a cold engine?

And suppose there's too much clearance due to a broken or otherwise compromised valve spring. Is this a head-off job? (I mean, I know, I just am fishing for some wizard method for redoing valve springs with the head in situ).

My car has been running so well lately - the weather's begun to get cool enough so that my autumn map fits the conditions, and every cool night brings more power. I just think this might be a small issue that could turn into a big one.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
there is a method of doing valve seals / springs etc with the head on. It involves using some string and pocking it down the spark plug hole untill the cylinder is full and holding the valves closed if that make's sence?

However i wouldn't recommened it. Personally i would remove the head and recut valves, check pistons over etc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts