GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

A mate of mine can buy a nice R32 GT-r. But today he got a mail, that the car might have a broken piston ring or it is the valve stem oil seal.

"
I'm not sure its a major issue, but the car seems to smoke a bit on over-run. It's OK in normal running, but can be bad after boost.

It's not pouring out smoke my any means,, it's still quite drivable, but I don't like to be seen driving anything unless its perfect !!!)
"

What is a valve stem oil seal anyway? And can this be badly for the car :eek: ? Or does it need a rebuild right away, ..

thnx

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
With the right tools and patience its possible to do stem seals without taking the head off.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
would bad stem seals make any noise on top of leaking oil? Or a cracked valve guide?

I just have this gut feeling that sometime soon I'm going to have to rebuild my valvetrain...it ticks a lot.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Worn or even missing seals make no sound. Worn guides make no sound on a true OHC engine. Could be in need of re shimming, could be cam lobe or follower wear or damage, could be a little end or other piston noise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the piston ring lands were damaged then it would smoke alot when on fairly high boost, ie combustion pressures leaking past the piston and over pressurising the crankcase and vent system... On overrun could be valve stem seals, it could also be a turbo seal problem, I had this problem a while ago on a set of 2530's. Check the inlet and outlet elbows on the turbos for excessive oil...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He made sure it isn't the turbo's!

But how can you repair the valve stem's, on A RB26? Just curious to know :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can't repeir them, you have to replace...
Head off, remove buckets and shims, remove the valve springs...
You can replace them with the head on but you need a special tool used in conjunction with a high pressure airline.... Sykes Pickavant that I know of make such a tool...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts