GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously this probably varies from county to county, but how bad do you people perceive mindless acts of vandalism against your Skyline(s) - e.g. keying, attempted theft, etc. :mad:

I've just bought one (Guy's R33) and due to the fact it is probably one of only two Skylines in the entire county it has already attacted a lot of attention. I don't mind it getting attention so long as that is all it is but unfortunately my work necessitates parking in a nearby multi storey for extended periods of the day, and the car is parked in a carport about 20 metres from my front door at night.

As it stands at the moment it has a Sigma alarm+immobiliser (can you confirm this Guy? :)) and I was looking at either a full monty Clifford alarm (with the Warn Away functionality) and/or a Tracker (which may even be compulsory for my insurance). At the moment what with Christmas coming up and other financial commitments I would only be able to buy one or the other - not both.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Durzel,

Skylines don't seem to attract the petty jealousy and vandalism that say Porsches do. They tend to get admired for what they are. I've left mine all over the shop with not had a hint of damage.
My wife's shopping Clio, on the other hand, is covered in parking dinks.
I would'nt fret about it too much.

Vincenzo

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi Durzel,

I think one very effective method to prevent vandalism is to cover the car with a car cover, a GTR under a car cover look just like any other car. If they don't know what it is, then they are not likely to want to damage it.

My theory is, any person that would consider damaging other people's car for no reason are people that are not successful, which means they are lazy. A lazy person is not going to lift up your car cover to see what kind of car it is and decide if they want to damage it. Do you agree?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I must admit that I've got to agree with Vincenzo.

I live in Wellington NZ, which doesn't get alot of that anyway and I've always been super cautious, but I know quite a few supercar owners and they don't have a major problem with that sortoff thing, but they do have far more problem than I have had, and I park my car on the street most of the time.

People do tend to look at GTR's and Skylines in general as...........for want of a better term a working mans supercar and they seems to respect it more. It's a shame really as I own my R34 and a Porsche and they're both great cars in their own right.

I love to drive cars, because they're great cars, couldn't car less what badge is on the back, and I don't consider myself stuckup, a tosser etc etc, I work long hours in a skilled job and love cars so that's what I want to spend my money on. Doesn't make me a stuckup idiot like some think. It's a real shame that there's people out there who can't understand that.

Fraser

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Car covers etc..

Hi and welcome to GT-R ownership!

Firstly I have the Clifford concept 50X alarm/immobilizer which has the proximity alarm, it doesn't really go off if you walk by but goes off for example if someone was to cup hands to window and try to take a peak in side or touch body work.

Car covers, well my friend and BBS regular BLOWDOG had his new 34 played around with by some tw4ts who wanted his badges, he put a thread out and it was answered in full regarding the various Car cover manufactures. So do a search under his name for the contacts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Durzel
Once again welcome to the wonderful world of GTR,s.
Don,t know if the sigma can have extras added, its depends how old it is but if it can then adding a shock sensor to the system will help. This means the alarm will go off before they actually get inside the car. Its not as sensitve as the clfford but it works just the same.
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for all the replies. As it turns out a Tracker is a compulsory part of my insurance (which is no great surprise) but I was going to get one of these anyway for piece of mind. I'll probably be looking at a Tracker Monitor (or maybe even Horizon).

I'll look at car covers as well for a more practical means of keeping idle hands at bay.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Accord wagon = R34 GTR :eek:

I have one helpful tip that is useful for people trying to buy custom make car cover for a R34 GTR in a country where R34 GTR are not imported offically.

The cover I am using right now was made for a 94-97 Honda Accord Wagon/estate, it fit like it is custom made for the GTR. The extra material for the wagon cargo area is perfect size for the R34 GTR's stock spoiler.

I found this out by accident as there are currently no pattern on file for the R34 GTR at the car cover company since there are only 7 R34 GTR in the U.S. My mom happen to have a Accord wagon and I tried her cover and it fit!! :D

Just thought you guys might like to know. ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Accord wagon = R34 GTR :eek:

I forgot to mention, the Honda cover I am using was custom extended 6 inches on the bottom. This is enough to cover all the body works of the GTR. So in order to cover the wheels too, it would need maybe another 3 - 4 inches.

And I just realized, using a Honda cover this way would make people think it is a Accord Wagon, that's exactly what we wanted to do :smokin:

Jeff

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I use my car every day and have done for three years. In that time it has been tampered with once (oh yeah and stolen once:D ). Someone ran a key across the N/S/F wing. I park it in supermarket car parks, middle of London and outside my house.

When I first had it I did make a point of parking it where I could see it. A lot of people would look in and I used to get a bit twitchy about it. Nowadays, I park it wherever is appropriate and don't mind people looking in while I go about my business.

I think the attitudes of the 80s where people were envious and scratchd cars has gone. The attitude of today tends to be one of envy and desire to own one rather than wreck someone elses.

I hope this puts your mind at rest Durzel.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi everyone,
Like Fuggles my R32 gets parked all around London and particularly outside my house.
Luckily, and hoping not to tempt fate, in coming on 5 years of ownership, never a problem.
In the early days no one knew what it was, and being dark blue didn't attract any attention. The occasional petrolhead enthusiast would approach in reverence and would normally end up in a long conversation.
More recently like Fuggles alot more pearing inside, but no damage. With more coverage in magazines, big performance claims etc etc, we all know the type of stuff I'm talking about, many more people are now familiar with GT-R's. Couple this together with the Playstation popularity and particularly with GrandTourismo, there is a generation of people out there, 12 - 25 who have a strange respect for the car. This is very noticable when you have a conversation with these people. I was in the USA recently, and one of my cousin's spotty male 16 year old offspring, on the back of playing GrandTourismo nonstop, acording to his father, for the last 3 months, was near to having what seemed like a religeous experience when I showed him pictures. His dad couldn't understand all the fuss. He himself has a concourse 67 Pontiac GTO in his garage. Spotty offspring, no interest whatsoever.......keeps telling his dad to get a GT-R. The upshot was he kept asking me, obviously as an owner and obviously in the know, what spring settings and camber angles I would suggest for his Penzzoil R34!!!!!!!!!!......nuf said!!!!!!!
When you consider the majority of petty car crime is committed by the 12-25 age group, it seems that within this age bracket because of the media etc stated above, GT-R's are less likely to suffer such activity...............well thats my theory, and I'm sticking to it, as it seems that as time marches on the more this seems to be the case.
Regards
wroestar
Ps/ my neice works in the bar at a W.London US Marine base(ohhh Ahhhh settle down, serving drinks!!!!)....................and they ALL worship the GT-R!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
From my experience, the informed want to admire the car and the average house wife in the supermarket car park will keep away with her errant trolley after the proximity sensor has chirped the life out of her. But "The-Great-Un-Washed" don't care what they are nicking the Hi-Fi out of.

I have a full on Clifford System (+added extras) in the car and without the proximity sensor the car would definately have been broken into about 2 months ago by a lad who claims one of his mates told him about the TV install (I don't have TV in the car) and he just wanted to see it. Later, when the cops got him, he had a screw driver, wire snips and poly bag in his coat pockets.

With a car cover + proximity sensor, breaking in would be almost impossible, you'd set of the proxy sensors moving or cutting the cover away to allow any access to locks or window glass.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Answer to Alan

I presume Alan your question is aimed at me, with ref to my Ps point.
With recent events they have totally, and understandably, lost it. Besides the Marine base in question is in Ruislip and doesn't have access to any airfield directly. (these guys look after the US embassy and other US interests)
Nice try Al, always worth a punt
Hey Alan, I pulled your business card out the other night and saw you are based in Sudbury Hill. Are you there on Saterdays???? as I'm only just down the road
Regards
wroestar

·
Registered
225 Posts
Durzel - I am just about sorted with my car security after spending what seems like weeks looking into it - the best advice I have is :-

1. If your CAT1 is over 2yrs old - get a new one - crims buy them and learn how to bypass them
2. Trakker Horizon
3. Proximity sensors
4. Put keys in house safe
5. Secure your house

that is at the very least - I won't go into what mine has - but there is loads of kit around

Car security is so good these days - most crims have given up and break into your house for the keys - so it might be worth keeping a baseball bat handy - just remember to have the ball as well - or the police will not be happy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts