GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
I already have a flowed AMT head on an RB28.
Makes around 440-450lb'ft from around 3,300rpm.
My car was built for drivability and a wide powerband.

Was just curious what the benefits would be on a car like mine.

So potentially it would spool up a little bit quicker ?

more than happy for you to drive mine to experience the difference

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'll let you guys know how much early vcam pro can work up to - got my mapping Tuesday.
I'll be aiming to wring as much as safely possible out the car.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
more than happy for you to drive mine to experience the difference
That's very kind.
Maybe when the R34 is here as that is also an RB28 (so we have 3) for comparison purposes.

The V-Cam is something I have often thought about.
Just not sure the benefits justify the cost as I do like my car with it's current set up.
I could get into the trap of just doing it because there isn't much left I need to do...

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
That's not totally fair comparison though, all modern engines have been forced towards VVT so they pass euro regs/get a low CO2 classification.
Valid point. Ultimately its about efficiency though. More power for same fuel means a optimal cam timing.

But to answer the question. I think you could built your own for less than £1000 of you did the desgin yourself and only had to have a few bits made.
You need a camshaft, a slight head mod, an oil feed, 2 sensors and a solenoid plus a good ECU. And of course a cam pulley.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,031 Posts
V-Cam is well worth the money - in Japan. Once you take exchange rate, import duty and VAT into account, it is absolutely not worth the money in the UK.

Save money and get good head. ;)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
Valid point. Ultimately its about efficiency though. More power for same fuel means a optimal cam timing.

But to answer the question. I think you could built your own for less than £1000 of you did the desgin yourself and only had to have a few bits made.
You need a camshaft, a slight head mod, an oil feed, 2 sensors and a solenoid plus a good ECU. And of course a cam pulley.
I spoke to a Kiwi firm a few years back who'd do something for a little more than that. That was using RB25 VVT parts.

From memory they wanted me to send them the head to mod.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I spoke to a Kiwi firm a few years back who'd do something for a little more than that. That was using RB25 VVT parts.

From memory they wanted me to send them the head to mod.
It is that kind of thing that must be possible.

I remember playing around with it on old SR20's, and it is a very simple setup, if not that reliable.

My main concern is would it fly apart at high rpm....

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Because I have 10mm lift at the moment and they will be coming out for better cams towards end of year
Interesting comment, as I have seen many flow bench results results (non rb) where increasing lift doesn't show any flow gain as the restriction is no longer the valve head but the valve seat/ throat.

Do you have flow data from AMT showing the head actually flows better increasing lift from 10mm to 12mm?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Interesting comment, as I have seen many flow bench results results (non rb) where increasing lift doesn't show any flow gain as the restriction is no longer the valve head but the valve seat/ throat.

Do you have flow data from AMT showing the head actually flows better increasing lift from 10mm to 12mm?

As you say David it's were the restriction is and on a good ported head it is valve lift, I've often had the conversation with Andy about valve lift and my cams not being big enough to take full advantage of the porting work. Il have a word with andy see if he is kind enough to post some dater

That's why the end of this year my 10mm lift cams are coming out for some custom ones.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as I haven't seen an RB25Neo head but it was mentioned earlier in the thread that you would be forced to use the neo manifolds.

Again, not having seen the head, it strikes me that rather than buggering about trying to adapt a 26 head to accept the parts, if the only issue is stud orientation then it would seem simpler to make an adapter plate from neo head to RB26 manifold(s).

They shouldn't have to be particularly thick either so packaging shouldn't be an issue ..

However, I'm assuming that there must be more to it than that or someone would have made one up by now ......

TT

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Posted a kit earlier, it's been done.
Can be done in situ apparently too.

25 head can be made to take 26 gear, but it's a PITA especially the intake side, Blitz did a kit years ago for one of these.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts