GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find that traction control cuts power on dry roads when booting it? Twice I've had it cut power when flooring it in second on a bone dry road (in fact, possibly not quite flooring it, but reasonably wide throttle opening). One time this was when going down a steepish gradient, so i thought it might be somehting to do with that (like the car was telling me I shouldn't boot it downhill). The other was on a slight corner, so again that might have been a factor. It felt a bit over-cautious to me but perhaps that's just the nature of it in normal mode. Not had it happen in R of course.

Has anyone else had this in normal mode?

Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've found the same in normal mode, it cuts in fairly quickly even in the dry if you push it. Also it cuts in over bumps which we have lots of around here.... Usually have it in R in the dry

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep me too Mickv, I could have written your post word for word. Mine also cuts out when making a very slow tight uphill left 90 degree turn, goes with a right bang!:(

Just noticed your location, could be something in the water up here!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep me too Mickv, I could have written your post word for word. Mine also cuts out when making a very slow tight uphill left 90 degree turn, goes with a right bang!:(
I had a similar problem when I took my old RS4 over the Hardknott pass -that's got some vicious cresty blind turns and they consfused the hell out of the torsen diff/traction control - almost ground to a halt in places. Won't be driving that road in the GTR for sure.

Thanks for the replies guys - at least now I know it's normal behaviour for the VDC in normal mode.

Cheers
Mick

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I drove back from Edinburgh airport in my 335D (330ish bhp and 650nm) yesterday in the pouring rain . While joining the A8 i booted it to get into traffic, i was doing 50 up the slip road and the Traction Control lights came on all the way up to 80. Had it been without assistance, who knows what lane and which way up i'd have ended. But the reality of the experience was that i just went where i went as fast as was possible in the conditions.

Obviously the GT-R is 4WD, so you'd expect a lot more grip and a lot less need for VDC (or ESP was was in the old S3), but i'm of the opinion that the vast majority of the time, unless you're a very accomplished driver, on public roads, if Traction Control/DTC/ESP/VDC or whatever kicks in, it's probably for the best. BTW i don't mean when you want to do a 4 wheel drift round an Asda car park :D

And unlike on some cars at least we have the opportunity to dial it down, if not turn it off completely.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had it in the dry on a steepish downhill - bit embarrassing/exciting when you are overtaking someone.....

p.s. I've done Hardknott and Wrynose in the GT-R - no problems, except seeing over the bonnet when the road fell away!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have had this also, going down a steephill. The particular road is like a rollercoaster, and great fun.
Picture the scene "right then kids are you ready, here we go" nails the throttle tc light comes on:eek: power holds back everyone dissapointed:mad:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had it in the dry on a steepish downhill - bit embarrassing/exciting when you are overtaking someone.....

p.s. I've done Hardknott and Wrynose in the GT-R - no problems, except seeing over the bonnet when the road fell away!!
You're a braver man than me then!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
i think it cuts the power far too much in normal and R modes, 1st thing i do when getting in is switch to R, just waiting to see if there are any warranty issues with others and if there isn't many then it will be switching to 'off' every time! Its the worst thing about the GTR, as soon as you start to slide, its cuts the power, I was hoping R would give you a bit more freedom!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts