GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my GTR now for 8 weeks and getting very familiar and confident with how it drives, however hard acceleration through 1st and 2nd gear, not using LC, with VDC in R mode, why is this car cutting my access to power?? It is so annoying to accelerate hard only for a bit of slip and VDC kicking in and denying any ability to enjoy what the car does well!

Is this a problem any one else endures? it reminds me of boost cut, but i get the little yellow slip light come up, maybe my car could be having a bit of boost spike and therefore upsetting the delivery of power? Either way it occurs on a few occasions in a straightline and pretty much 80% of the time if i accelerate with the slightest bit of steering input

The only other way it seems i can enjoy acceleration is with VDC off, now i dont and wont use the "LC" method, but still gives Nissan every excuse to refuse my claim therefore i might as well just go nuts mod it and have fun....

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday, off a small slow round about, RRR apply the throttle and it saps the power out from under my feet!!

This is getting very annoying now, i guess i should drive it a little more progressivly and see if that helps. Frustrating when the EVO would just take WOT without as much drama as a shake of the rear end and a chirp of tyre slip.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Am i wrong in thinking that if VDC kicks in, it's doing you a favour? Or are you guys saying that even in R mode the VDC is far too sensitive?

Eg I'd have thought WOT in a 480bhp car on a roundabout with no aids = new pants?

I guess i can't really comment as i'm still doing the run in, but i've been round a few roundabouts eg the first one on the A77 going south from Glasgow just as you get to Prestwick/Troon at the beginning of the 'vultures', at some silly speeds that even in my S3 i'd have understeered off or had ESP kick in.

I know in the BMW i leave DSC on because it's got 700NM of torque and even with it on i've had the car go sideways on the A8 at 60mph! Brand new tyres and all. I dread to think what would have happened with it even partially switched off.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I guess you want it to slide, then get you out of trouble once it gets a bit tooo slidey, rather than cut power?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You could buy a R32,33,34 with 500hp.....That'll make you wish you had traction control again! LOL!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hum ....go do crazy stuff on race tracks ? You'll see that RRR is cool enough

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Am i wrong in thinking that if VDC kicks in, it's doing you a favour? Or are you guys saying that even in R mode the VDC is far too sensitive?
Same with me,the VDC is far to sensitive....example,on my EvoX im getting faster with ASC in R mode then im in it when its completly off......you can have the car sideways as long as you want all with ASC in R.

On the GTR every attempt to go fast and have fun gets destroyed from the VDC.......why,because when it gets sideways and your having a smile on your face,you just turned the wheel a bit to keep the drift,it begins to cut power and ends the drift,in rainy conditions this is sometimes very dangerous,as the car when sideways and got the power cutoff,wants go turn itself into the other direction,as you have the steering still in the "outside" direction.......which could lead into a spin or crash......try it yourself on a track near you,go on,VDC R and go fast in the rain,im sure everyone who has a bit control over his GTR will have the same feeling like i have.....

I like to drive it with VDC off,because its so easy to handle and you forget about the feeling "what does the computer do next".....

Alex

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah a little bit of slip is what a sports car is about, now don't get me wrong i love my GTR but it just a shame that to drive it in a thrilling way where you balance the car with throttle control and not the VDC you run the risk of having a warranty claim denied if a fault code occurs while VDC is off.

I still think RRR is too intrusive

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Same with me,the VDC is far to sensitive....example,on my EvoX im getting faster with ASC in R mode then im in it when its completly off......you can have the car sideways as long as you want all with ASC in R.

On the GTR every attempt to go fast and have fun gets destroyed from the VDC.......why,because when it gets sideways and your having a smile on your face,you just turned the wheel a bit to keep the drift,it begins to cut power and ends the drift,in rainy conditions this is sometimes very dangerous,as the car when sideways and got the power cutoff,wants go turn itself into the other direction,as you have the steering still in the "outside" direction.......which could lead into a spin or crash......try it yourself on a track near you,go on,VDC R and go fast in the rain,im sure everyone who has a bit control over his GTR will have the same feeling like i have.....

I like to drive it with VDC off,because its so easy to handle and you forget about the feeling "what does the computer do next".....

Alex
I did, and everyone on YouTube knows the result when I did turned VDC off! :D

However, I do think that was mainly due to worn Dunlops which gave very little grip and made the car very unpredictable.

I found I could get half a turn of opposite lock quite regularly in R mode. However, deliberately prolonging a slide was not allowed, which is what I would expect of any ESP. How is it to know you are not sliding off the road?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Man ... VDC just can't let you do that. It is here for you're safty. R mode let you go faster but can't let you do crazy things.

GTR R35 is a very fast car. Drifting is not fast.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drifting is not fast, correct, but we're not talking about drifting, i'm speaking about being able to have fun in a car which doesnt mean going at the fastest pace it means having an exhilirating drive

in my experience VDC destroys that!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have gotten pretty sideways in R mode, and vdc probably saved my rear from letting it go any further. I don't notice a power cut in R mode to correct the situation like I do in the normal mode. I think R sends the power to the correct wheels to keep you in line, while the regular VDC mode actually cuts engine power.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have gotten pretty sideways in R mode, and vdc probably saved my rear from letting it go any further. I don't notice a power cut in R mode to correct the situation like I do in the normal mode. I think R sends the power to the correct wheels to keep you in line, while the regular VDC mode actually cuts engine power.

Maybe the US models are a bit dieefernt there,mine EU model does cut power for a short time when youre sideways,even if you have everything in control.

Need to do a drifttraining soon,to see how the car reacts,but oim sure you cant drift in with VDC R...can do that with my Evo X MR with ASC of racemode perfectly.

Look at the Porsche GT3 Demovideo,in which the car is sideways most of the corners,sideways is not fast,but big fun.......and thats what its all about.

Nobody of us is getting a trophy for a fast laptime on a trackday....my trophy is watching me smile when im back home....as i had a good time.

Alex

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
That's my point. Evo aside, I don't know any other cars that will allow drifting, i.e. prolonged, deliberate, power oversteer with ESP on. Why would they?
Even an F430 in Race mode will only allow a certain amount of slip before stepping in. Otherwise why have ESP on at all?

GT-Rs have never been drift cars, but they will allow some power oversteer. Not the same thing.

I have asked Pistonheads to ask Mizuno-san why the famous Ring laptimes were set with VDC off if it is "only for freeing the car from mud or snow".

And how he can justify invalidating the warranty if it is switched off when their entire marketing campaign is based on that time!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have asked Pistonheads to ask Mizuno-san why the famous Ring laptimes were set with VDC off if it is "only for freeing the car from mud or snow".

And how he can justify invalidating the warranty if it is switched off when their entire marketing campaign is based on that time!
Valid point David, keeps us posted if they get back to you!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can't see the point that you want the car controlling itself all the time?

You should be able to switch the gizmo's off if you want to have some fun.

Most fast cars will allow you to do this. Think of the amount of Top Gear episodes where Clarkson says.... "but if you turn the traction control off....!"

·
Registered
33 Posts

I never knew if it was in R or off for the ring times. There was even a thread over here discussing it. Thought maybe the technology was what made the great times possible. I guess if it was off, then that says even more about the cars ability.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts