GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my car is getting a little makeover done at present and i'm putting a vented bonnet on.

May sound stupid, but what happens when it rains?? The engines gonna get wet! Is this a problem and how do I overcome this...

How do yo guys with vented bonnets cope?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I asked this question during the monsoon season this summer....you can close off the vents with plates. But if you've just got the one vent on top of/behind-ish the radiator, I imagine that rain pouring in can only help things cool down. However, I'm of the opinion that one cannot possibly go too far in adding cooling to the RB26. Hood vents, water sprayers, CO2 foggers, along with the requisite oil cooler and a yet-to-be-determined true cold air intake (exposed mushroom intakes in a scorching hot engine bay....why??). Throw 'em all in, why not? I refuse to upgrade my FMIC for fear of reducing airflow to my radiator. I even plan to add a water sprayer to the A/C condenser (as well as the FMIC of course) to help out during those scorching humid August days in Seoul, crawling in traffic....

·
Registered
553 Posts
I asked this question during the monsoon season this summer....you can close off the vents with plates. But if you've just got the one vent on top of/behind-ish the radiator, I imagine that rain pouring in can only help things cool down. However, I'm of the opinion that one cannot possibly go too far in adding cooling to the RB26. Hood vents, water sprayers, CO2 foggers, along with the requisite oil cooler and a yet-to-be-determined true cold air intake (exposed mushroom intakes in a scorching hot engine bay....why??). Throw 'em all in, why not? I refuse to upgrade my FMIC for fear of reducing airflow to my radiator. I even plan to add a water sprayer to the A/C condenser (as well as the FMIC of course) to help out during those scorching humid August days in Seoul, crawling in traffic....
Agreed, the cooler the better less chance of melting pistons and the horrific bill for a re-build

·
Registered
594 Posts
Both my GTRs have vented bonnets and neither have ever had a problem, loads of water goes in the engine when you wash it but it hasn't caused any grief, all the electrical plugs have a rubber seal inside them so they shouldn't get wet!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thing my vents are directly above the engine, while i know other (eg, Top Secret) vents are lower down nearer the rad

So if the engine gets soaked with water channeling down onto it its not a problem?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Ok so my car is getting a little makeover done at present and i'm putting a vented bonnet on.

May sound stupid, but what happens when it rains?? The engines gonna get wet! Is this a problem and how do I overcome this...

How do yo guys with vented bonnets cope?

Thanks
When the car is parked up IE at a hotel or similar. I run in and get a menu.
Open the bonnet and cover over vents.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Thing my vents are directly above the engine, while i know other (eg, Top Secret) vents are lower down nearer the rad

So if the engine gets soaked with water channeling down onto it its not a problem?
Mine are the same Faz.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
these vented bonnets are for race machines, which would not be stuck up in traffic on the south circular during a rain storm. During such inclement weather they normally, A. sit in a nice and dry garage. or B. are travelling fast enough to need the extra cooling. which a vented bonnet provides.
So either fit one and drive like every day is a race to the wangan or leave it in ya garage to look at. Mine by the way has never given me any problems, might be because I have an oily engine bay:smokin:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have the Top Secret on on mine. I've never had a problem with water getting under the bonnet, through the vent, whilst driving. It seems to be when you stop in traffic, that the water runs in.
I have polished cam and timing belt covers on mine but they have'nt needed a repolish yet.
when i wash the car, i usually lift the bonnet and place a black bin liner over the top of the engine, then shut the bonnet down again. That way, any water dropping in, just runs off the bag and onto the floor.
I did get a carbon deflector type thing with my bonnet. It screws on the underside of the vent, but doesn't work very well at repelling water.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
these vented bonnets are for race machines, which would not be stuck up in traffic on the south circular during a rain storm. During such inclement weather they normally, A. sit in a nice and dry garage. or B. are travelling fast enough to need the extra cooling. which a vented bonnet provides.
So either fit one and drive like every day is a race to the wangan or leave it in ya garage to look at. Mine by the way has never given me any problems, might be because I have an oily engine bay:smokin:
helps more than just 'race machines' mate

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I may use a tray under the bonnet to filter the water away from the engine.

Anyone done this, if so any pics???

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
yes, loads of vented bonnets come with rain trays

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
The biggest problem is when they're parked up. if you're moving around the engine is hot enough that even in slow traffic the water has little opportunity to do much damage. Parking up means either putting a cover over them or having some mecahnism for channeling the water away. If the bonnet comes with an appropriate diffuser then fine. if not, a piece of small guttering along the edge to move the water away from sensitive parts may be ideal.

The Top Secret bonnet drops water straight onto the front of the cam cover so it will likely start covering the electrics there and other parts so may not be a good idea in the long run.

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
Like a baking tray, basically. Tilted so that the rain runs to one corner/side, with a hole in it for it to drip out somewhere safe.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts