GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nearside headlamp bulb on my R32 GTR keeps coming on and going off intermittantly, ive replaced the bulb, checked the block has got power etc, all seems fine there.

When the light refuses to come on, i find if i flick repeatedly from high beam to low beam, the light evetually stays on.

Could this be a problem with the stalk?

I hate wiring issues!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just had a similar ish problem on my Gtir, the earth on the headlight connector block was corroded and causing it to get very hot and stopping the headlight working intermittantly too. I Removed that earth wire/connector and rewired a new one in, no problems since.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
saying that, mine went off couple of days ago, replaced bulb still nothing, so wellied headlight switch on the end and hey presto works a treat! have noticed that the connections on the back of the switch are a little melted could be said problem?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Seems unusual it being one headlight only, but I had the same problem with my car only both my lights were affected, (which was fun when it did it at night).

I'd bet on it being the connections or internal contacts on the rotating lamp switch on the dashboard. Someone told me, (although I've haven't been bothered to confirm it), that on the R32 the switching for the low beams, (headlights basically), is done solely by the switch, and not by a separate relay like on most cars. This means the switch itself has to deal with the heavy current draw by the lights, and this can arc and carbon up the contacts, (both internal and external to the switch), and/or melt the connector on the back of it.

Its definitely worth your while removing the part of the dash/cluster that houses this switch, and check and clean all the contacts. Give them a bit of a tweak with a screwdriver to tighten up the connector contacts too if possible.

Apparently this is a common fault on R32s, so its certainly worth checking on yours, if for nothing more than to check and 'service' the switch to make sure the fault doesn't occur in the future.

Try that and let us know what happens.

You could also have a poke around the wiring in the engine bay too if you felt like it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check all the connectors and earths etc that are part of the lighting circuit. On older cars contacts and terminals quite often get dirty/corroded and cause wierd intermittent faults.

Yours does sound like the switch though, as on mine I had to frantically switch the lights on and off when they stopped working completely in the hope that they'd come back to life, as I was on a dark A road at the time with nowhere to pull over. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts