GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my rear brakes which is baffling me. Brand new discs and pads, brake pistons go back easily by hand ( just), caliper pins all greased and slide easily, brakes bled. I came home from work today, 5 miles, braked maybe half a dozen times, when I got out I could smell the heat and the discs were literally glowing red!!!! I must be driving with the rear brakes on all the time, they are not letting off. It is definately not the handbrake cos I haven't used it since putting on the discs and it is adjusted to not rub. Heat was also the reason the last discs cracked so it is not new but I want to sort it before I **** these discs. I am tempted to buy replacement ( the same ) calipers but I am not convinced it is them cos it is on both sides.
There is one brake line which runs to the rear and then it splits to each wheel, not sure how the ABS works out which wheel is which, but I am thinking could it be this splitter unit or maybe the one in the bonnet, ( think the ABS unit) that seperates the fluid to the front and rear and has electrical doobries on it.
The front brakes are fine.
Any help anyone please!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
had another look today, passenger side rear wheel turned easily with only slight scraping of the pads. driver's side ( the red hot one last night ) I could just about turn it. I regreased the pins and around the contact points etc and pumped the piston out and it pushed back in nice and easy, not quite by hand but nearly on the passenger side. On the driver's side I did the same but pumped the piston out, took the rubber boot off. the piston was very dry and had rusty score marks on it. I wet and dried what I could, using brake fluid as a lubricant, then cleaned it off, put brake fluid on the piston and pushed it back in ( not by hand ). I then pumed it back out and repeated the process. Now I could push the piston all the way back in by hand, pumped it out and pushed it back in again by hand. I then kept the piston in and bled that caliper. Then pumped it back out and pushed it back in again by hand. Put the boot back on, clip is fiddly, then reassembled everything. Put the wheels back on and pumped the brakes a few times. Both wheels now turn with minimal scraping of the pads. Hopefully that is it sorted for now.
I think I should really replace the calipers with some newer better condition ones before it happens again, so if anyone has any let me know please!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
You could also replace the piston, or wet-sand it with very fine sandpaper and then use proper brakecylinder paste - Or silicone grease.
That should do the job just fine!
Only if the piston has bad rust-marks, it shouldnt be re-used!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts