GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi thought i'd introduce myself first seeing as i'm new to the site. My name's Ben and i live in the south of England and am looking forward to purchasing my first Nissan Skyline (R34 GTR V-Spec... hopefully).
I have searched around and have found a few for sale , but one has caught my eye more than the others. It's a 1999 plate R34 GTR and it has just under 29000 miles on the clock. This struck me as being quite low for the year and especially for a Skyline. Does this sound dodgey?? I have yet to inspect it closely or taken it for a test drive yet (which i cant wait to do :p ) .
What tell-tale signs should i look for to see if the car has done a lot more ?

Thanks for reading my first post! :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I mean obviously i will check to see if the odometer looks like its been tampered with or if the numbers are all out of line. But isnt the odometer in a r34 digital?? sorry if thats a silly question but i've never been in one

·
Registered
820 Posts
There are a few very low mileage examples around. Lowest I have see was 4000km on a 2002 v spec nur. It sold last year in New Zealand for 98k nzd.

Get it checked out tho mate.

·
Registered
411 Posts
despite the mileage, the engine is 10yrs old. if the reading is true and the car was a weekend car (that was actually used every weekend), then i'd be happy with the low mileage.

however, if the engine wasnt run for prolonged periods of time without the proper maintenance, a low mileage motor can be in worse condition than one which was driven more frequently and has more miles on it. (at that age)

theres always the possibility of that 29k miles to have all been covered at the track, but other mods on the car would clearly indicate so.

my .2

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
despite the mileage, the engine is 10yrs old. if the reading is true and the car was a weekend car (that was actually used every weekend), then i'd be happy with the low mileage.

however, if the engine wasnt run for prolonged periods of time without the proper maintenance, a low mileage motor can be in worse condition than one which was driven more frequently and has more miles on it. (at that age)

theres always the possibility of that 29k miles to have all been covered at the track, but other mods on the car would clearly indicate so.

my .2
Totally true

i know mine was a weekend car, with the owner being a mature type of person, who had it for 8 years (from new).

others we looked at, some had slightly lower milage but were "track miles".

ignore the milage and always go on condition of the engine, etc.

you may find that it has aftermarket clocks and that the milage was never adjusted (because they start at zero)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is pretty much bog-standard , its just been lowered on Tein coilovers . By the looks of the pictures ive seen nothing else has been done to it. I will try and get it pre-checked in the next couple of weeks and hope for the best. Also would it be an idea to get a leak-down test too?

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
The car is pretty much bog-standard , its just been lowered on Tein coilovers . By the looks of the pictures ive seen nothing else has been done to it. I will try and get it pre-checked in the next couple of weeks and hope for the best. Also would it be an idea to get a leak-down test too?
Does not really mean anything though

ive seen stock cars with huge milage.

really just need to inspect it first:smokin:

·
Registered
411 Posts
false reading is extremely easy to spot, that wont be a problem for an experienced mechanic or even yourself if you know what you're looking for. for example, i viewed an "18k mile" 116 for my mother in law the other day. the brake pedal was so worn that metal was showing. did the car have 18k miles? hell no, more like 1,000,018k haha.

the problem lies to how the engine was treated all this time, and being a lower mileage engine rises questions. talk to the owner, ask him about how often he used it, oil change intervals (and receipts), how the car was maintained. again, its easy to spot someone that cares about the car and knows what he's doing. if he just says that he took it to the shop every X amount of months and is clueless, call up the shop lol

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It'll be hard to find out how well it has been looked after as its being sold from a car dealer (Jap imports mainly). I will have a thorough check through all the paperwork and see if the dates all add up right.
Fingers crossed i hope its fine as i have fallen in love with it already :chuckle:

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
It'll be hard to find out how well it has been looked after as its being sold from a car dealer (Jap imports mainly). I will have a thorough check through all the paperwork and see if the dates all add up right.
Fingers crossed i hope its fine as i have fallen in love with it already :chuckle:
not that difficult

drop me a pm and il go look at it with you if you want

·
Vendor
12,633 Posts
they do exist, i just sold a UK one with 13k on it. Just looking at the car will give you a good idea if its correct mileage, or you could pay for a GTRShop Inspection:bowdown1:

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are a few very low mileage examples around. Lowest I have see was 4000km on a 2002 v spec nur. It sold last year in New Zealand for 98k nzd.

Get it checked out tho mate.
Yep we bought it.:D

The only thing you have to know about sub 10000km R34 GTRs is where they have come from . .as these usually not land on auctions, but get bought streight from prestige dealers.

Yours with 40000km is pretty easy to find on the market. . . but of course meter-trafficated or simply car was accidented and 5 years and not on the road, are other possibilities

·
Registered
25,971 Posts

The only thing you have to know about sub 10000km R34 GTRs is where they have come from . .as these usually not land on auctions, but get bought streight from prestige dealers.

Yours with 40000km is pretty easy to find on the market. . . but of course meter-trafficated or simply car was accidented and 5 years and not on the road, are other possibilities
lux

having gone through the issue of finding mine with Miguel

there are some right crap out there at auction at the moment (or there was)

we have not been looking for 34s since mine

i was quite amazed as to how some people treated theirs (the ones we looked at), having said that the really good ones stand out,

not just because of the prices they fetch and the interest

·
Registered
820 Posts

Do you guys source the cars for gtr city? Like this one?
Nissan Skyline GTR R34 2000 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

The nur, I have seen it in person. It was absolutly perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts