GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, Just trying to find out a bit about this..

Came across someone saying the other day that they are, or was, thinking of running a Z31 300ZX (VG30DET, not DETT) turbo on their RB25.

They were saying that this is also a ceramic turbo but is good for 16-17 psi as standard.. I should imagine that it spools reasonably quick too..

Anyone know anything about these and interchangability and specification etc?

Or is this a load of old caca?

Just a thought that's all..

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simonh said:
AFAIK the VG30 costs loads to get decent power out of - so why would you?

Don't know, I know nothing about them.. I'm not refering to the engine, just the turbo.. I mean, if it were to happen that it could produce an extra 4 psi over the RB25 standard turbo and it was fairly easy to modify to fit and available at a reasonably cheap price for a standard one then would it not be possible that it might be feasable?

I am probably going get my standard turbo rebuilt with steel internals at some point in the future, but it's worth looking into other things.. You can only learn.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
BIGALR33 said:

Came across someone saying the other day that they are, or was, thinking of running a Z31 300ZX (VG30DET, not DETT) turbo on their RB25.

They were saying that this is also a ceramic turbo but is good for 16-17 psi as standard.. I should imagine that it spools reasonably quick too..

Have a search on 'Skylines Australia'. Theres loads on there about this.

I think the gist of it was that they create a hybrid turbo using RX7/RB25/VG30DET bits. Good luck trying to find a VG30DET turbo though, 80's car, not very many brought in to the UK.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
BIGALR33 said:

Probably an item specifically designed for that vehicle. Guy talks about one here:

http://nissanking.sphosting.com/r30/history.html

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I did exactly this, Used my 300zx 1987 reconned turbo on the skyline r33gtst, Its steel internals and can run to 17psi, but 12psi is about its most efficient.

The front exhaust pipe needs modding, the oil feed pipe is different but can be modded, the coolant pipes fit if you remove one bracket, and you need an elbow for the outlet pipe, oil return from old turbo fits direct.

Mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts