GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for posting this here but i couldn't for the life of me choose tech section to post it in, probably could go in all of em!!

There is a 300zx (maybe more than one) with RB26DETT conversion:

Does anyone know where one could find more information on this.

I like it!!

I'd like to know if it has GT-R running gear too....

Thanks,

·
Registered
83 Posts
I want one.............................

Have seen loads of pictures of 300zxs with this conversion, but none in the UK

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Imagine lighting up the rear tyres with that!!!

Powerslides.....

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Looks very "busy" in that engine bay !

Nice Avatar by the way Senna.

Daz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was the engie in them not much cop then??? Thought they were 3 ltr twins???
Luke - the VG30DETT is a very good engine, it can handle a resonable amount of power with standard internals(once you sort Fueling/Air/Intercoolers on the outside).

The major issue is fitting larger turbos - they dont fit(without work) :D

As the turbos run a true parallel setup the space in the engine bay is tight to say the least!

Also, with the parallel setup you cannot whack on a large single turbo as with the RB26 or 2JZ. :(

The ease of tuning the RB26 makes it a good option for an engine swap while staying in the Nissan family :)
But, if tuned correctly they can produce huge amounts of power - have a look at what JUN did with the Z32 in 1990(approx 227Mph) and 1991(Bonneville National Speed Trials current record holder E/BMS class - just over 260Mph). Jun Car records
Trev

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I believe that first pic is one of JUN's creations. I am sure it was a customer's car that was showcased in an old Option magazine (a couple of years ago). Very sweet job!

Cya O!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)

EXCELLENT!

Thanks for the input folks:)

I posted it as an ex-300zxTT owner and curious person - someone from the 300zx forum wanted to know about this transplant but wasn't getting much help.

I will direct him to this thread - gtr.co.uk to the rescue again:)

Thanks.

BTW A RB26 powered 240z would be such a hoot! Love it!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Also, with the parallel setup you cannot whack on a large single turbo as with the RB26 or 2JZ. :(
Sorry, I'm new on here. What is the benefit of removing the twin turbos and putting on a large single turbo instead? Is one large one somehow better than two slightly smaller ones?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kingsley said:

Is one large one somehow better than two slightly smaller ones?
Sometimes.

Maybe Tigger can help more;) - I dunno...

Blowers eh?.. Big ones and double small ones... those naughty Japanese... guffaw fnarrfnarr

This is the third time today I have reached for my coat:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glen - ease up on those funnie ciggys mate! :p

kingsley - A Larger turbo would produce more power but also more lag. Its a trade off between response(lag) and power. The advantage of two smaller turbos is the lack of lag.
Now if you fit two massive turbos! :D

To get large turbos on the VG30DETT(300ZX engine) requires custom manifolds etc and can be costly.

This guy has moved the turbos to the front of the engine in order to fit larger ones(and may make access easier):

Trev
My Z

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
kingsley - A Larger turbo would produce more power but also more lag. Its a trade off between response(lag) and power. The advantage of two smaller turbos is the lack of lag.
Thanks for the response, Trev. I understand the lag vs power thing when choosing a large or small turbo. I just could not understand how a single turbo could be better than two.

I have heard this for some of the big power upgrades for Mk4 Supras too - removing the twin turbos and putting a single large turbo in their place.

Surely two seperate turbos that have the same combined capacity of a single large turbo would have at least as good, if not better response than the single turbo, therefore giving better driveability without losing out on max power?

Now if you fit two massive turbos! :D
Hmm, NOW you're talking ... :smokin:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino,

The yellow car is the same type of car as the silver car, some old 240/280Z, look at the sheet metal around the engine, they look the same in both pictures.

I think the RB26DETT have been put into just about every type of car, I have seen it in Benz 190, BMW 3-series, JZA80, JZA70......and don't forget it is in the Tommy Kaira ZZ2 too. BTW, a light weight Tommy Kaira ZZ2 with a Nismo Z-tune 600HP RB28DETT and ATTESA PRO 4WD is my all time dream car, the look of an exotic super car with full GTR running gear :eek: ..........I would have this over a Mclaren F1 :p

Now that would be one cool car, full R34 GTR drivetrain in a KPGC10 or KPGC110 tuned to 600 HP, also with the R34 GTR modern interior in the old GTR body, oh boy :eek: It would be VERY expensive to do though :(

Jeff:eek:

·
Registered
211 Posts
L20 (or S20) out and RB26 in.

This is a Skyline GC10 with an RB transplant.

I am converting my GC10 to L28 Turbo but if someone has an RB26 around and does not know what to do with it......:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Did Jun not do that conversion with a RB28DETT and ATTESA PRO 4WD on a Supra?... I am sure it took the record top speed at Bonneville a couple of years back...

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Top secret certainly put one in a Supra (still got a feature on it somewhere), wouldn't know whether Jun have done it as well though...

Daz

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sure it took the record top speed at Bonneville a couple of years back...
As far as I'm aware the only Jun cars that hold Bonneville Speed Records are:

300ZX Twin Turbo:
E BGMS Blitz Jun Auto-A S. Koyama 8/91 260.809MPH

JUN Hyper Lemon R33
F BGCC Jun Auto-Greddy-Skyline D. Inada 8/97 233.217MPH

The Jun Supra took part in the E/BGCC class it seems that record is held by:

E/BGCC Stringfellow & Kirk - Jim Kirk '01 248.938MPH

I think Option has a 180SX which holds a Bonneville record.

Trev

1 - 20 of 34 Posts