GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, just thought I'd share, I figure the information could be somewhat useful to anyone interested in experimenting with the boards. It might be kind of pointless to do so at this point but the processor architecture has become public domain and the roms can be dumped, so there is a possibility of emulating the hardware on other machines, or running other software (Linux?) on the MFD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool! Someone needs to do an R35 MFD into an R34 :) that would be interesting to see.
I think that's actually possible, if you were to either fit VR38 sensors to the RB26, or if you figured out what sensor voltage ranges are required by the hardware (or, by the CAN bus which sends them to the MFD) and build something to adjust the signals accordingly. Way, way more trouble than it's worth though!

BenTaylor200 said:
I thought you'd got it working on an SR20
I had it partially working on the SR20 before I swapped engines. Boost is an independent sensor so that works fine. The TPS and water temperature signals are the same as the RB, and the oil temperature is probably the same too (didn't try it.) The injector pulse width signal seems different though, and also the speed signal and tachometer signals don't match. Without those working, the other sensors usually won't display correctly.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think that's actually possible, if you were to either fit VR38 sensors to the RB26, or if you figured out what sensor voltage ranges are required by the hardware (or, by the CAN bus which sends them to the MFD) and build something to adjust the signals accordingly. Way, way more trouble than it's worth though!

I had it partially working on the SR20 before I swapped engines. Boost is an independent sensor so that works fine. The TPS and water temperature signals are the same as the RB, and the oil temperature is probably the same too (didn't try it.) The injector pulse width signal seems different though, and also the speed signal and tachometer signals don't match. Without those working, the other sensors usually won't display correctly.

Shame as that would have been a nice upgrade :( sounds a bit too complicated for a simpleton like me :chuckle:
Do you have any other plans for your S15? Reckon if you shared this on the Mighty Car Mods forum you'd get a lot of appreciation for it!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have any other plans for your S15? Reckon if you shared this on the Mighty Car Mods forum you'd get a lot of appreciation for it!
More plans than time or money, just like everyone else. :chuckle:
The car needs a proper tune, as I'm just running a stock R33 ecu right now. I have an HKS F-Con IS mounted in the car but it's a weird prototype one that's a cool conversation piece but probably not worth wasting time trying to run. I think I'll end up going to a Link standalone eventually and getting rid of the MAF sensors. Money no object, I'd love to see how a V-Cam would improve midrange torque with stock R34 turbos.

Also, brakes and tires could be better but they'll do for now. I always forget that Mighty Car Mods has a forum, I'll have to check that out, thanks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
More plans than time or money, just like everyone else. :chuckle:
The car needs a proper tune, as I'm just running a stock R33 ecu right now. I have an HKS F-Con IS mounted in the car but it's a weird prototype one that's a cool conversation piece but probably not worth wasting time trying to run. I think I'll end up going to a Link standalone eventually and getting rid of the MAF sensors. Money no object, I'd love to see how a V-Cam would improve midrange torque with stock R34 turbos.

Also, brakes and tires could be better but they'll do for now. I always forget that Mighty Car Mods has a forum, I'll have to check that out, thanks.
Running a Link ecu in my car and must say it's a massive improvement over my old Apexi PFC, revs feel so smooth as if it was a factory built car!
If you can try and send the link direct to the two main hosts of the show (Marty and Moog) they love this sort of stuff. May even get you in on one of their episodes :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Running a Link ecu in my car and must say it's a massive improvement over my old Apexi PFC, revs feel so smooth as if it was a factory built car!
If you can try and send the link direct to the two main hosts of the show (Marty and Moog) they love this sort of stuff. May even get you in on one of their episodes :D
I'll look forward to the upgrade then, it seems that getting rid of the AFMs is the way to go.
I've considered Haltech as well but there isn't much support for them in Japan.
I've purposely kept the car rather low-key, but I guess it's time to start showing it off a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts