GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this video by luck when I was searching for good old DTM action.
The BMW gets taken over in the beginning by several faster cars including the Falken R34 GTR. Then you can follow the whole action of 1 round in which the BMW follows the GTR. In some sections the GTR just drives away but the BMW always manages to close up again...very interesting as I thought the Falken would´ve been much more superior.:popcorn:

BMW M3 following Falken GTR on the Nurburgring

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
wicked video! would love to be able to drive like that in some cars like that!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I`ve had that video in my collection for about a year now, awesome, seeing how fast the cars go when they are racing, very very quick.

·
6,821 Posts
absolute stunning video , did you see how near the Falken was tailing the Porsche:cool: :bowdown1:

·
Registered
65 Posts
considering that's an E30 version so it will be down on power dramatically on the 34 then it really shows it is not all about grunt at the ring. bearing in mind they are on the run down from dottinger hoehe to the start of the GP circuit the 4 pot is hanging on for dear life.

note the 6 poters coming past like the GTR, porkers and the E36 M3 racer.

an E46 V8 M3 GTR would defo be more than a match for the GTR and would lap a fair bit quicker which we witnessed when out there.

technology moves on and the 34 is an old car compared to a late spec M3 racer.

·
6,821 Posts
But I still wonder how good the german cars would be if they would have to face the real japanese tuners like Mines and co. on the Ring with best western ring pilots( there are no japanese, wich seems normal)inside . . .R32s R33s and R34s.

A same RWD car,as heavy as a GTR, can be balanced as much as it wants, on the ring in the rain, on the same tiers a GTR is allways faster.
4 wheel steering + ATTESA-ETS vs two rear wheels spinnig in one direction!

Was the Falken GTR not put to RWD?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Before we go hyping up the BMW lets not forget that the Falken car is handicapped by extra ballast and small restrictors.

·
6,821 Posts
OK Hicas removed only.
What balast did the Falken have?

·
Registered
990 Posts
OK Hicas removed only.
Being AWD and turbocharged meant the car had to compete in a higher class than it sould have and take on some weight. If you've ever seen in-car vids you can tell that the car is struggling and is no where near as fast as you would think looking at it's spec. IIRC the car was actually pretty close in weight to a stock GT-R and was only making 450BHP or so. The DTM car is extremely light by comparsion, we're talking hundreds of kg.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Here's a couple of pics I took (with my phone) when it was at Abbey Motorsport being mapped one day.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What a great video, cheers for posting that Andreas.
Really enjoy the old pitlane chicanes section (about 1m10 ->about 2m), amazing to see the GTR changing direction so rapidly, looks so razor sharp.
Video doesn't really show how bumpy it supposedly is, in my opinion.
Great driving.A real feast for the eyes and ears. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Kaneda them vids you posted don't work:bawling:
It says error downloading codec, has any one else got this problem or is it just me:mad:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Greatest Respect to Falken and their team for making a Skyline finish a 24hr race

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
`Video doesn't really show how bumpy it supposedly is, in my opinion.` This catches alot a people out who are on the learning-curve at the `ring. Take a section 5-10mph faster than you have done before and what was previously barely noticably, suddenly kicks the rear out 3ft.

The M3-GTR`s where doing the `ring in around 6:45 at last years race, total lap times of 7:45 - 8:15`s.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
OK Hicas removed only.
I believe from memory (which is not good at the best of times) that the M3's have a minimum 950kg and the GT-Rs 1250kg so 300kg plus air restrictors and they have to pit more often as the fuel tank size I think was restricted too and the turbos use more fuel. If no restrictions where in place the 4WD/turbo cars would easily win all races hence the levelling of the playing field to make it interesting. Of the few problems with the racing GT-Rs most where suspension related and in fact in racing terms they were very reliable compared to other race cars - it's only people who don't know what they are doing that fcuk them up otherwise they made a good car for a proper race team.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
if its true 950Kg Vs the GTRS 1250 thats like kicking someone on the shin power to weight is the name of the game.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts