GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents,

Was looking into buying a second GTR as a Track or Drag car. As I did a walk around everything looks clean on the car no rust, clean interior etc... the only thing wrong with the car is that the vin plate and firewall don't match! The firewall has a sticker over it with a different vin! So I researched the firewall number and nothing came up! Any ideas what has happend to the car

I have read multiple times not to buy a Gtr with a mismatch or tempered vin I'm just more curious as to what happend or why they put a plate over the firewall my guess is theft recovery or salvaged.

I also want to have the guy remove the firewall sticker to see if the vin under match! But guessing I shouldnt do that

I live in Japan and have never seen this before and communication with them can be difficult since my Japanese isn't perfect

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure if you say please the guy will remove the sticker, I always found Japanese people are very polite and struggle to say no when I spoke to them haha. Maybe use your inner Gaijin power

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So UPDATE! I had the guy go to the insurance office with me to figure out more about the car, as curiosity of what has happened to the car the very nice lady had informed me that the car has a modified engine (which it does).

I did some research on modified car titles in Japan and came up with this.
(Wiki link)
"The inspection system is in place to ensure that vehicles on Japanese roads are properly maintained and are safe to be on the road. Another reason is to determine if a vehicle has been illegally modified. Illegally modified vehicles and vehicles deemed unsafe will have a red sticker with the following: fuseikaizousha (***19981;***27491;***25913;***36896;***36554;?) (Illegal Vehicle) in yellow and the date the vehicle was declared not fit to be on the street. "

From RUMORS I've heard that JCI (Japanese Car Inspection) is that any modification to the car without it being JCI'd on the car technically make the car illegal due to the unknown safety of the car. I don't know how true this is but its what i have heard

So now I am more curious/guessing that someone is using to get around the JCI.

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
exactly what I was thinking, when you get the JCI its pretty simple and they spend all of 15 seconds checking the serial number on the firewall (the line is FOREVER huge). id be willing to bet he covered the old VIN after it was flagged in the system as illegally modified, most likely using a junker VIN. when you get your inspection done you will be appalled at how old school the process is, like 10 different buildings with different stamps and different forms culminating in the mechanical inspection, visual VIN verification, and more crappy paperwork. Takes freggin forever. interestingly, you DONT get a title or certificate of ownership in japan, just the registration. I assume this is due to the first step of the process, which is filling out the paperwork with the local police to have them come and inspect the spot it will be parked (I imagine they run the VIN supplied in their system to ensure it isn't lost/stolen). The whole system is sketchy, and they have a huge problem with VIN swaps, odo rollbacks, and plate swaps (which is why they are lead-sealed to prevent tampering). I had my car reported as a potential Yakuza car when I first bought it within a day of having it sit in my parking spot without a plate. More paperwork...

If a person in japan doesn't de-register a car like they are supposed to and junk it, that VIN would essentially be up for grabs and easily slapped on another skyline. This may also be possible with exported cars, as they have been deregistered and the Japanese still run everything off a mountain of paper, no electronic accountability.

I would be suspect...

P.S. ill have my wife read into it, do you have a pic of the sticker?

P.S.S. I found this nifty service at http://www.japanesehistorycheck.com/service/ that will pull all previous registration papers and auction sheets for the car for $75 USD, I would ask the seller to get the paperwork or front the cost for this service so you can see if its legit.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My advice would be to get some cellulose thinners on a cloth that is a different colour to the car and wipe it over the VIN number.

If it has been tampered with, the paint may soften with the thinners and colour the cloth you are wiping with, if you so you will know all is not well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts