GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a 33gtr modded to around 430 bhp without the mechanical fan, using electric fans instead ?
If so 1 fan or two and what diameters as I've got my hands on a pair of 12" Kenlows.
Thanks again....

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I tried this once on my GTSt, two electric fans, I found under bonnet temps where higher without the viscous fan moving the air all the time, even tho the engine temp was well controlled, so I put it back on for now

Mark

P.S. Used a fan from a Nissan 300 ZX Turbo

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
hi mate. my personal piont of view is dont remove the viscious.

a, lets say the two 12" kenlowes spin at 3000 rpm. thats it 3000rpm. if your engine is hot, say stood in traffic then when you set of and the viscious coupling locks in what ever speed the engine does, the fan does. so to aid cooling quickly as you speed up the fan can spin upto a max of 8000 rpm. because of its size it draws massive amonts of air through, far more than 2electrics can..

b, when not in use it draws very little drag so very little power is lost, two electric on the the other hand will consume massive amounts of current from the alternator, making bhp less.

c, IF NISSAN THOUGHT ELECTRIC WAS BETTER THEY WOULD HAVE FITTED IT...

bernie.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ive thought about this a while back and came to the same conclusion. They must have used a conventional viscious for very good reason, so i left as is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
"IF NISSAN THOUGHT ELECTRIC WAS BETTER THEY WOULD HAVE FITTED IT"
using the same logic, there's no point in changing the spec on your turbos, cams, exhaust, brakes, etc. it all depends on the intended application. basic transportation? circuit? drag? top speed? just a thought . . .

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well put Pokey, When Nissan originally designed these cars their thoughts weren't entirely based on performance, obviously it was high on the list. Cost, easy of build on the line, simplicity, after sales maintainance must have all been concidered at the time of concept. At the end of the day they are in the business to make money.
Just for example how many of us still run standard hp or 17" rims, we all like to individualise our cars in many ways, Nissan just gave us an excellent platform to start with.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I changed my viscous fan some time ago after fitting a much bigger radiator. TBH I'm not totally convinced electric fans are the way to go but it was worth experimenting. I may consider putting another fan the other side to creat a push and pull affect on the air, but still not sure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts