GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine seems to be on its last legs, and since a viscous coupling is a pretty simple thing...wouldn't it be possible to simply take the coupling apart and then refill with fresh viscous liquid?? (whatever that may be)

And for the idiot question of the day - what happens if you get rid of the viscous clutch and drive the fan 1:1 direct off the water pump?? :D

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? Don't fancy paying an arm and a leg for the coupling. Or anyone have one for sale in good nick?

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I have a spare one - PM me if interested.

If you go direct drive you will find the water pump impellor ends up machining out the casing -an olf friend's E30 325 sport did this years ago when his viscous failed permanently on. Had do flush the engine coolant till there were no more water pump aluminium shavings in the block.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Just get rid off that power sucking viscous fan and put a decent slim line electric fan in it's place ;) Free's up a few horses aswell as being more quite :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just get rid off that power sucking viscous fan and put a decent slim line electric fan in it's place ;) Free's up a few horses aswell as being more quite :D
+1
I'll be going that way, help tidy the engine bay up as well.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my concern is that I already have a fair bit of current draw, although things should be better now that I've finally faced the hard reality that my stereo head unit, a pricey and fully-featured Premier bluetooth unit, has an internal fault and draws 6 amps continuously in some sort of short circuit. Pulled it out and, well, can't sell faulty gear (has same problem out of the car), so nothing to do but bin it :(

But that should solve my electrical problem. Ok, so electric fan advice. What's good, cause there's a lot of cheapo fans in eBay. A fan need only spin, and if it's cheap enough, replacing them isn't really a big deal. Recommendations there?

Then there's the switch - doesn't have to be on all the time, so where do I put in the relay, connected with the temp sensor? What's a good temp to kick in at? I suppose I could also try wiring it so it's independent of ignition, so when I park, it keeps going until coolant gets down a bit - that'll help with summer heat soak.

And for the hell of it, I'm going to take apart one of these couplings and see if my gut instinct is correct - that a fluid change would make it right as rain.

ok, I like this electric fan idea. I'm doing it :) better go look up what plkettle did with his Yellow Peril R32; I know he went electric and his build is near spot on identical with mine.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Swings and roundabouts.....Electric fans put a large load on the altenator (around 40amp for the size req for a GTR) that is more than a average stereo system with a sub and amp.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Swings and roundabouts.....Electric fans put a large load on the altenator (around 40amp for the size req for a GTR) that is more than a average stereo system with a sub and amp.
But they only run occasionally, and those times are normally when in heavy traffic, when power is of little importance.

________

Junk the viscous crap, you'll notice the difference in engine response immediately, mainly that time when you prod the throttle pedal to get the revs up enough to pull off. You'll find you over rev it until you get used to the extra hp just off idle. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts