GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to VMax on Saturday. My first time and must say, it was a top day.

Saw some ace cars and did some cracking runs. I have never tracked my car or done anything like this before and was suitably nervous (e.g. caking myself to start with).

Really enjoyed not only seeing so many amazing cars but also having the option to race them! I didn't get the opportunity to race against an Aventador or 458 which I was kind of hoping for but was more than happy with what I did get to go against.

I also let my buddy have a few goes and I think he will be a GT-R owner within the month :chuckles:

My car is stage 4.25 R35 GT-R. I am on Cobb, with full Russ Fellows / AC Speedtech system including downpipes. It has ID1000 injectors and K&N inlets. In addition to this, I am also running the KW Coilover sleeve kit which lowers the car and fully upgraded brakes, with AP slotted disks, Ferrodo DS2500 pads (newly fitted) and Pagid RS29 rear pads. Also have braided lines and Castrol racing fluid. I also have circlip upgrades on the gearbox.

So here are a few clips. I have more which I will add on if people are interested. I really wanted to hit an indicated 200mph (bucket list for me) although was denied. I learnt a lot during this event and am confident if I do it again, I could. I would probably empty the car of crap, remove the rear spoiler, run slightly harder tyres then go into the corner real slow and work out the point I could accelerate hard from to enter the rainway at max speed. The main thing though would probably to use the run off every time and to keep accelerating deeper into it. My brakes really were superb! They hauled me down from 190mph time after time after time (I think I did 18 runs). They didn't grumble or complain. No fade or anything. After one of my goes they were smoking whilst I waited for another go :nervous:

In terms of the car everything seems to be in order. I did lose my driver side wing mirror glass. To try and improve aero (wrongly) I tried running with the wingmirrors tucked in. Well I got to circa 185 mph and the glass flew out. Oops, shan't do that again. Open to suggestions as to where I can get some replacement glass. Any scrap brokers with R35's?

Also, at the end of the day I got the dreaded clicking when I turned right. I have never had this before although I took the wheel off today and cleaned and re greased and it has gone - which leads me to believe the heat is what has caused the clicking to start.

Here are some vids:

Possibly my favourite clip. Outside film of me vs a Ford GT720 Mirage. Apparently the Mirage was driven by a leman racer.
600+ bhp R35 GT-R vs Ford GT720 Mirage (side by side drag race) - YouTube

This C63 AMG sounded amazing and looked fast.
R35 GT-R vs C63 MSL mercedes 194 mph at VMax EVOMAX - YouTube

Tantalising race with a fast 911 Turbo which was packing atleast 650 hp. He said after it was the closest race he had had all day. I am happy that I did everything I could. Really enjoyed this one although the only time that day I wished the runway was shorter LOL...

650+ BHP Porsche 911 Turbo vs 650bhp GT-R (close race 192MPH) - YouTube

Was gutted with this one. Against another GT-R. I had just loaded another higher PSI map but hadn't checked it was running the higher boost. The first straight it runs only 10 psi not the 20psi I was hoping for. You can see it on the boost gauge. I adjust it on the bend and then the final straight is good, where I manage to record my best speed of the day. Was gutted though, if I had managed to launch the car how I was at the end of the day and was on the right boost setting to start with I should have owned him.

GT-R vs GT-R (196 mph) - YouTube

and finally, against a gayardo.

R35 GT-R vs Lamborghini Gallardo (195mph) - YouTube

Let me know what you think and if you want to see any more clips. Really enjoyed it. Didn't seem to be many from the register there although did say hello to Gaz(@cpp). Also the boys from SVM were there and as always were great to chat with and very welcoming. Was anyone else there?

Cheers
Mart

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Nice videos :)
Was that your boost gauge flashing, or is it just a trick of the camera? :)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy for others to post their pics and vids up and what they thought of the day. have edited the title of the thread to be a generic post event thread for Vmax Evomax.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice videos :)
Was that your boost gauge flashing, or is it just a trick of the camera? :)
Thanks. Yes it was the boost gauge flashing. When it goes above 20 psi, it starts again. Mine was right on the edge of 20psi so whilst it never restarts it does flicker. Only does it at top revs and speed.

Against the Porsche I was seriously thinking about splashing out on some tubs for stage 4.5... :D

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Nice! You running 20psi on stock turbos?!

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice! You running 20psi on stock turbos?!
Yes. 20 psi For the win. They won't always make it though and for day to day running I have an 18psi map although I am tempted to tweak this 1 or 2 psi as there is a noticeable difference in the longer gears.

I actually ran the 18 psi map for most of the day as you can see on most of the videos. It was smoother and also enabled me to launch the car properly, with the 20 psi map the traction control just kicks in. I never launch my car on the road so it isn't an issue then.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Haha nice. I think I used about 250 litres in total at the Asda day. YOLO!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks. Yes it was the boost gauge flashing. When it goes above 20 psi, it starts again. Mine was right on the edge of 20psi so whilst it never restarts it does flicker. Only does it at top revs and speed.

Against the Porsche I was seriously thinking about splashing out on some tubs for stage 4.5... :D
I thought a flashing boost gauge is detection of knock ?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a bit of research suggests there could be something in what you are saying. Does mention the cobb lowers the threshold the sensor flashes at so hopefully nothing bad happening there. I will look through my vids but funnily enough I think it is occouring on the lower power map. Thanks for the pointer. Had never seen it flash before on the road and was simply going off what someone had told me about it flicking round. Will look into :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It was loads of fun. If I can I will go again next time it is on. I think I could hit an indicated 200mph then. I read elsewhere that because the Jumbo jet had been parked at the end the cones / braking point was 200 metres sooner than normal. Knowing that now, I wish I had kept it pinned for a bit longer.

As for the Lambo. Not sure to be honest. I will happily assume my car is just that much faster :chuckle:

Some extra clips:

my car from the outside (turned out to be someones bro on here - the car is the Porsche that edged me - had GT2 turbos and uprated intercoolers and exhaust - so I am not too concerned. They sounded pleased at the end :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xxywbPGRYM

This is against the EVO (car magazine) team in their convertible Bentley conti GT Speed - 4 up :) My buddy was driving. First time he had ever driven either my GT-R or anything that fast. He did well ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REa3VtBQZpQ

Against a CLS wagon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfXz-fdm2o

Side by side with a supra. I think the guy was having boost issues (thank god because when on song it apparently has over 800hp)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMnE6GQFpk

La Ferrari vs Bugatti Veyron drag race :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx66moRuguM

La Ferrari launch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV1P9NMK-xw

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't worry about the flashing mines done it on every run at vmax. I ran slightly better than you at just over 200mph indicated. Only car that beat me was a twin turbo v10 r8. I'll be back next year in my b5 audi to try beat the 204 it ran before

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was hoping for 200mph indicated but sadly it wasn't to be. The runway was restricted this time as there was a jumbo jet at the end of it :(

Thanks for confirmation of the flashing gauge. I noticed it did it a little more when the car was hot hot hot, not so much earlier in the day. Datalogs look fine so I think what you say is spot on

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What were your trap speeds through the beams (on the board)?

They are fantastic events & i was gutted i couldn't make this one but the wife decided our Son should be Christened on the same day.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What were your trap speeds through the beams (on the board)?

They are fantastic events & i was gutted i couldn't make this one but the wife decided our Son should be Christened on the same day.

No idea what the trap speeds were. The organisers cannot be arsed to publish them and are not responding to email request for the info. So disappointing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No idea what the trap speeds were. The organisers cannot be arsed to publish them and are not responding to email request for the info. So disappointing.
They usually have huge LED displays just after the timing beams. Were they not present for EvoMax?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts