GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My task for tomorrow is to go and buy one of these. Any advice? I've checked with VW and the service schedule cambelt used to be 80k/6 year for the 1.0-1.4 which has now changed to a new policy of 4 year regardless of mileage. I have two to look at tomorrow an S reg 1.4 80k and a R reg 1.0 67k both up for for 2k (both with PAS) . The plan is to view them and then go back avec pops with a bit of folding and play them off. Car is for the step mum who, by her own admission, is a rubbish learner..i.e she will trash it.
On the off chance, anyone know of anything specfic to this model to look for?
For amusement I'll be taking the R34 so I AM going to drive in and then ask for a part ex on the basis the R34 is a bit thirsty and [email protected] looking to reduce my carbon footprint.
The idea is to go with pops tomorrow (once i've viewed in the morning) and buy one so I fully plan to wave 20's about. 'goo on my son....1500.....crisp as...take the car right off ya'. Budget is 2k but I sooo want to get one of these for 1600 lids max

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Not much to report really.

Later cars (i think) 1999 onwards have trouble of gearbox bearings failing. And pedal boxes. Latter should be covered under warranty. Even if the cars out of warranty, you can usually twist their arm for a goodwill gesture.

Apart from that they're pretty strong cars. And yeh get the cam belt done if theirs no history.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the help! Just bought one of those two, 1997 one so no issue with post 1999 stuff. One we bought was quite reasonable but no service history so I waded in at 1500 against 1995 and he accepted 1550 which was ok with me. Quite amusing going to the place with 430bhp and then driving back about 43bhp.
Dad will get the car into the local mechanic who should be able to give it a service and belt for less than 250.
The car was owned by last 4 years by a lady so she's done an admirable job of pre-kerbing all the alloys up ready for the step mum (learner driver).

What I was most impressed was the garage owners small talk when he was writing the receipt 'I assume your in the trade yourself then sir?' . Niiice, I've obviously got the patter sorted. Just need a big arthur daley style coat now!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Glad to hear one suited to your needs.

Hahaha....43bhp!!! 1/10th!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts