• I have them because they look cool.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • What is a Vortex generator?

Votes: 6 27.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I absolutly need a Vortex generator on my front bumper?
Are they really improving on the track?
Who has experience with thoses aero parts and for what are they really good?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can't see how that will improve the car as its already a bit of brick as standard. Dosen't the sheer weight of the car give it stability?

Also isn't the front bumper mounted on rubbers?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bit of a difference in the center of gravity there.

I was thinking along the lines that if the skyline was a light car with the same aero dynamics it currently has it will get knocked about a lot by the air it moves through. But since its so heavy it adds a lot of stability.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am sure that these sorts of aero parts make a difference at high speeds, circuit speeds, but for day to day stuff the only reason for application is cosmetic. By all means fit them for the trackdays and enjoy the benefits there and keep them on for the aesthetics the rest of the time.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think we are looking at canards, diffusers and vortex generators.

As has been said above, they will help stick the car to the track and improve air flow, and even if you don't do trackdays, their presence will imply that you do. You will get,

a) Disdainful looks and loud comments from people who think no-one should have them for the public road. Include aero wings here. (In actual fact, canards might be nasty if you clipped an ankle of someone jumping onto a zebra in front of you.)
b) admiring looks from people who assume you are the real business, mostly chav types, but some more responsible, impressionable people.

If you don't do trackdays, are you happy impressing people with your unnecessary bits?

If you do do trackdays, then skru the lot of them. It's a hassle taking them off and putting them back on all the time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
i think you will find that all though skylines look abit of a brick they have very good areodynamics.thats part of why they are so fast for what they are and make such good track cars.nissan spent alot of time a effort getting the dynamaics right.

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we all know the effect of a GT wing or boot spoiler providing more down force as quicker you get (amount of air ).
How is it with thoses Vortex diffusers? Is it giving you more weight (down force) in a streight line and influencing vertical stability while cornering?

The red garage defend car wasn't anywere near the best lap times on Tsukuba, but knowing that the engine wasn't really hight tuned, the car still did impressive times. The Defend guys spend much time with aero modifications, as the carbon front diffuser, car-to ground high and boot adjustments . . . . . combining this with the suspension setups is a tough work, as you need to test drive the car all the time. . . .

·
Registered
366 Posts
Vortex generators are generally fitted to provide increased high speed stability, by altering the flow of air around the car. But the effects are only felt at ridiculous track speeds.

the canards are there to help out with high speed cornering.

Diffusers reduce the amount of turbulent air around the car, turbulence creates friction which in turn creates drag.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
who makes such a kit for the R32? I'd fit canards, but only if I had a proper wing in the back. Then I'd probably have to add the N1 bumper vents and the bonnet lip. Then I'd have a whole nother car.

I can't have it in between I guess. Plain jane or riced out is all I can manage.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The pics show types of canard and splitter, no vortex generators????

Vortex generators are only really mounted along the top of the rear window to improve airflow over a rear mounted wing.

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NISFAN
Can you tell us the differences between the different type of air flow parts?
Splitters, canards, diffusers or other things.
So this is basicly a Vortex generator?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yes, ^^^ is a vortex generator, used to disturb the relatively low energy boundary layer, which increases effectiveness of the rear wing. Although most types I've seen on road cars look 95% for show, and 5% for function. I doubt many have seen a wind tunnel, or even CAD simulation.

Splitters are the plates on the bottom of bumpers, used to direct as much air as possible over or around the car. This reduces the amount going underneath, and if managed properly, especially with a diffuser (rear of car) can develop very good downforce. As it is effective along the whole underneath of the car, is often the best, but not easy on a high ground clearance road car, where there is too much spillage on the sides, due to high side sills. Also having exhausts, suspension components etc upsets the ground effects on road cars. The bottom of the engine bay would need to be sealed off too.

The diffuser basically accelerates the air from underneath the car, thereby causing a area of low pressure under the car. This sucks the car down onto the road.

Canards can be used to clean airflow on the sides of the car, around wheel wells, etc, but are also just used as mini wings in high air energy areas, where the downforce effect is maximized.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
As NISFAN says most have never seen a wind tunnel, or even a CAD simulation so ain't worth sh*t on or off the track. A proper designed and wind tunnel tested (VERY expensive) one would be great but otherwise "all show and no go" garbage.

·
Banned
336 Posts

Subaru added these verticle bits to their rear wings to aid stability on jumps and the way in which a car lands.. prior to having these the car would not always land flat.. these were of mosty benefit at speeds of over 100
mph

·
Registered
858 Posts
I could see canards or the ducts on the top pic helping with flow through the cooling duct on the R34 as they will give a low pressure area at the exit - the canards pretty turbulent and the other helping to 'smooth' the airflow with high speed which = low pressure. That's a very simplistic way of looking at it though and as has been said I'd at least want a decent cfd model to prove them first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts