GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some news from two of the magazines out in Japan today suggests that the next GT-R will be powered by 'an electronically assisted twin turbo 3.3litre V6'

The 2 mags - Best Car and Holiday Auto - agree on practically all the mechanical details (which I can never remember happening before).

Briefly, the next GT-R gets this;

VQ33DETT engine (using the stroke length from the VQ35 and the bore from the VQ30)
Electronically assisted turbo - apparently, in order to avoid turbo lag, a generator spins two electric motors which are attached to the compressors of the turbos.
6 speed CVT gearbox (on M-spec)
6 speed manual (on V-spec)
Variable valve Timing and Variable Valve Lift
Active Suspension
Brembo brakes
19 inch wheels

DCD - will you post up the pics from the mags ?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Uhm...not a lot of people interested in the new GTR or its engine I guess:rolleyes:

Here is a pic of the cover of Best Car where you can spot a potoshopped V35 GTR(If anyone is interested that is ;) )

·
Registered
1 Posts
thats pretty interesting about the electric assisted turbo's. has anyone see this type of technology on any other cars before?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Bean... I've got the Holiday Auto mag in front of me. Glad you could translate the content - haven't got round to it. Not too sure whether the electronically assisted turbos are a good or bad thing. However, 400ps out of the factory for the 3.3 twin turbo engine isn't a bad starting point. ;)

DCD... The front of the latest CG in Holiday Auto makes the car look bad. Hopefully it's not an accurate representation.

Cya O!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not on a car but on gas turbine planes (radio control). A small electric motor is fixed to the end of the turbo shaft via a flexible coupling and is used to spool the turbine to 30,000 +rpm to start them.

http://www.artesjet.com/prod02.htm

Interestingly they can also be used to cool the turbine after use if the EGT is to high.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hi,

Also in the magazine, it said that the body is based on Infiniti G35 coupe. And also 4WD is new ATTESA E-TS Pro and Active LSD.
Here's to hoping they don't make a mess of it. :)

Regards,
-Elliot

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
DCD said:
Uhm...not a lot of people interested in the new GTR or its engine I guess:rolleyes:
Argh!! I am!!! I always forget to look in this part of the forum :rolleyes:

There have been so many shots of the R35 its hard to believe which one will actually make production ... Electronically assisted turbo sounds like quite an impressive device.

Bean/DCD/Hipo ... Keep posting, without our men in Japan the forum would be none the wiser on the new models!!

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, Garrett was working on electrically assisted turbos - for big 18 wheelers. I don't think the project went anywhere - this was at least 4 years ago.

I think it's an idea that's finally feasible. The thing is, how much horsepower does it take to spin the generator to drive the turbos? Should actually be less than the parasitic drag of a supercharger.

This car sounds more and more interesting everyday, and the G35 Coupe that it will be based on is an absolutely stunning automobile in the flesh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am kinda skeptical about the electronicly assissted turbos. Just seems like another complicated electronic that can go wrong and will cost lots of money to repair.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What's wrong with electrical aids ?
Even with electrical aids, it's the mechanics that fail very often, not the electronic part of it !! :smokin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
True, I am not saying electronic is bad in any way, look at the skyline, there are so many electronically controlled sensors and they work great. but adding that to a fast moving turbine makes me wonder. Thats all.

Chris

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Would interest me too to see how they did that if they did that. In general, it's quite amazing the cars run so reliably; the more complex the car, the more can go wrong.

Andre.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts