GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time looking at different tyre options. I was originally on Bridgestone run flats in standard profile (255/285).

There are many opinions on what the best tyres are and which ones aren't so good but seeing how I found the Bridgestones ok, even in the wet I thought I would try a number of options out for myself. Well that was the plan anyway.

I did a track day at Silverstone on the Bridgestones. It was wet and slippy but improved through the day. I also got my bearings and by the afternoon sessions was feeling really comfortable with the car, albeit it was sliding a decent amount. After this the tyres were spent and I wanted to fit some part worn 285 Bridgies to the front of my car so I could experience 285 square. The part worns were mine so I knew they were good, but after trying to get two garages to remove the front run flats without success I changed my plan and decided to just buy new.

I spent some time investigating the options and came across the Vredestein product. I liked the idea of the specific front and rear axel tread pattern and the fact they had the optimal tyre sizes for the GT-R. I spoke with their tech guys about them and confirmed they were XL load. I wasn’t sure what to go for, either the Vorti in 285 square or the Vorti R in the staggered. My heart said 285 was the way to go but these are then both the rear axle tyre profile (not so good for water clearance) and there are a number of reviews that suggest the square set up makes the rear end quick to break away. Whilst this suits my driving, my head said try the staggered set up first.

I will attach a scan of the brochure that shows the tyre size options

I had some work carried out by SVM and at the same time they removed my old run flats and fitted these without issue. I bought them from tyre leader. They arrived quickly and cost about £700 something. I then spent £100 with SVM to remove and refit the tyres.

First impressions: Excellent. The steering is lighter than with the run flats but I don’t see this as a negative. Sometimes I wonder if they have lost a little feel when at low speeds but when pressing on they feel really good. I haven't noticed any of the 'bouncing' or squish that people report on the MPSS but this could be down to the fact I haven't tried enough tyre variants or pushed the car enough. That said, SVM drove the car to map it and the feedback was the tyre felt good to drive on which gave me immediate confidence the choice was a good one.

The comfort and noise level is now sublime. Whilst I run the KW coil over sleeve kit, I can now run in RRR without issue. I can also feel a clear difference between these settings. Passenger comfort is much better - the only potential downside is that when going through a big compression at speed, this is accentuated more than with the run flats which kind of just went over / under it with a big bang.

I never experienced terrible tram lining other than when on rough minor roads. A and most B roads were fine. I now experience zero tram lining.

Dry grip is incredible. Never tried MPSS, or the Cups or the 888 but for road use these perform really well. I have used my car on two of the mini runway days now which contains a small timed gymkhana area. It's quite tight with the highest speed just into 3rd gear. My car, on these tyres performed well against all the other GT-Rs which were running a selection of MPSS, Dunlop and Michelin. I suspect this is down to the tyres more than my driving prowess LOL :chuckle: I would say the car feels well balanced and neutral. I can rotate the car on the throttle to help get round tight corners. It is also confidence inspiring to drive fast, in almost all situations.

I did manage to get the car very out of shape including huge side to side tank slappers (on purpose) and the tyres have stood up very well to this. There is no wear on the side walls which suggests decent stiffness and there is still a significant amount of grip left despite two (mini) runway days and 2 or 3k miles covered.

Wet grip. I have held off writing a review of these as I wanted to get more wet weather experience. This is still the case but a few have asked via PM about the tyres so I can write now what I know and update as I and others drive them more. So, I have driven in the damp and also normal rain. The anxiety and concentration I previously encountered when wet has gone. I can drive the car normally in the rain without issue and it just performs. I was in a place where I had to hit a couple of inches (deep) of standing water on a two / three foot length puddle. I was at about 70 / 80 leptons on a small road and straightened the car, ready for the impact. To my delight, it ran straight through despite only being on one side of the car, so from this I believe the car will handle well, not only in the wet but also during standing water / torrential rain. But I don't have enough experience of this yet to make a full judgement on it (I don’t tend to drive my car when the weather is poor).

Fuel consumption: Excellent. I have seen an improvement of about 30 - 40% in my fuel economy! Now I have to caveat this as I also had some mapping and larger intakes fitted at the same time to extract some more power, but I have gone from getting around 180 / 200 miles from a tank to getting 250 miles per tank. Delighted doesn’t do it justice! I should have a power curve showing the before and after maps following the Litchfield dyno day this Saturday so will be able to see the power difference the mapping has made.

I have no reservations but two points worthy of note. The tyres have a carbon fibre type pattern on the sidewalls I wasn’t expecting and they look a little different. I have come to really like this and have only received positive feedback on this. I will post some pics in due course. The other little question mark I have is the stability or feeling at light speed. One thing I really liked about the run flats was the security they provided (real or otherwise) when maxxing the car out. I did 196mph (at VMAX) with a plugged run flat. I had total confidence in the tyre. I am not sure about doing those speeds with the non run flats. Not sure if this is from the feeling the tyre gives me (160mph+) or if its non run flat in general - and it should be a mute point really as how often should people do those speeds… But I do miss the security of the run flat on those occasions. Doing 150mph at the mini runway day I didn’t have any issue, the car felt great but I imagine on the road above that speed I would start to ask questions and start running risk analysis in my head (asides from the potential length of the looming prison sentence).

In summary - I really like these tyres. They feel great in wet or dry, they are comfortable and quiet. They look nice. They have contributed to a significant improvement in fuel economy and whilst not the reason for choosing them, they were very well priced compared to the competition.

I will add in more as I go, including some pics. If others want to contribute that have gone for the Vortis recently (including the non R version) then feel free to post here. At this moment in time, I believe I was the first to try them out on the GT-R

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
309 Posts
Excellent and well written review there Martin :bowdown1:

Do you carry an emergency tyre foam kit in the car now that you are off RFs?

I'd be interested (when mine arrive) what tyre pressures you are running?

I saw the carbon effect on the side of your tyres and not so sure about it. Suppose I'll have to leave them dirty :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
good review gtr mart, great to see people trying other tyres than mpss .. i'm on cups and like them so far...

any pictures of the tyres?? to see this carbon effect.. thanks

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
'Tis a shame you haven't tried the MPSS before running these.

All of the positives you've noted are attributable to swapping from runflats to "normal" tyres hence why so many of us just cant go back to them.

Nicely written review all the same and hopefully these Vortis are another option in the non-RF area.

Now we need an MPSS user to try them to see how they compare.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now we need an MPSS user to try them to see how they compare.

If only we were all meeting up this weekend.... :)

As for pressures, 32psi feels good but I havent played with the PSI. They look like they could take more. Perhaps when I have time I could mess around with it but never have time.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
I'd be tempted to try 34psi cold like the MPSS. I played around with them a lot when I first got them and 34 cold was by far the best pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CC - I will try 34 cold ahead of the dynoday and see how that feels.

Tigggger - very similar but in the 265/305 profile slightly different - but your pic gives the idea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks Mart, big ups to you.

Looking for a tire change real soon, got the RF Dunlop's now. Might change to NRF, Ill check prices on the different brands.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Very good write up Martin. I'll be having a good look at them on Saturday!

I have tried Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my previous car, RB320 & they performed very well in both the dry & wet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to Martin for posting this review. I wish this to have been posted in April.

I have bought also Vorti and fitted them in April, but drove them only on public roads and did not drive them on a track.

On the road they felt exactly as they were described in the review. I was searching then in the forums for opinions on them but with no success.

Therefore, before going to a two-day track day event on Slovakia Ring I decided not to risk and fitted new square set (285) of Pirelli PZero. Pirellis performed well, but the outer side of the thread have gone at the end of the first day. However, Slovakia Ring is a very aggressive track for the tires.

Vortis stay almost new in the garage and I will use them on track in July and will report my experience in comparison to Pirelli PZero.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Martin,

Can you please confirm the sizes that you fitted - I've had a search and can't seem to find the Vorti R in the standard sizes.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did have a scan in pdf format but is too big to attach and my IT skills mean I don't know how to get it into another format.

There are two options.

Vorti R, 265/35/ZR20 front and then 305/30/ZR20 rear

or the Vorti (harder compound):
stock sizes (255/40/20 and 285/35/20 which enables the front and rear axle tread patters to be used),

or you can go 285/35/20 square all the way round. But these will be the rear axle configeration which is not optimised for water disbursement (unlike the front axle tread pattern). Not sure how much of an impact this will have.

I know anil has bought some of these, I think the vorti R in 265/305 sizing and is getting them fitted in the next few weeks so should feedback then.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Martin.

On my 370Z I replaced the OE Bridgestones for Vredestein Ultrac Sassanta and absolutely loved them. Lots of grip, much better in the wet and much quieter too. I actually like the OE Dunlop's that I have at the moment but following your review and from my previous experience I thought I'd give them a punt.

I'm just in the process of ordering some Vorti R in the sizes you listed. I need to get them on fairly soon as I'm due an MOT and I also need to get one of my wheels refurbished at the same time.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Phil

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks Martin :)

Vorti Rs on this Thursday, then off to Litchfield on Friday. I'll feedback once there are a few miles under their belts :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good luck chaps. I hope you like them. I still need to play with pressures. At the moment I am 30 / 31 cold. People have recomended 34 cold - same as the MPSS. I will give that a go but look forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Vorti R's were ordered yesterday - £754.40 inc carriage and VAT from mytyres. Not received a delivery confirmation yet but I didn't order them until 4pm yesterday. They were listed as 'in stock' so would expect them tomorrow. I've used them before and they're pretty reliable.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Phil

1 - 20 of 86 Posts