GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Grrrr. Mytyres have only just sent me a delivery confirmation for only the rears and the date for delivery is 8th July - nearly 10 days to deliver something which was marked as being "in stock" on their website. We'll be cancelling, getting a Paypal refund and ordering elsewhere. If a company indicates something as being 'in stock' then I don't see why it has to take 10 days unless it's only 'in stock' with their supplier, and if that's the case then I'm not happy with someone sitting on my money. If I wanted to invest in their business to help finance their inventory then I would have bought shares, not tyres.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Quite a common problem these days as businesses simply don't want to sit on every item of stock. Hence they will drop ship direct from the manufacturers instead especially for little sold items.

John Lewis have done it to me quite a few times this year already and it doesn't half get on my tits, especially when they give you completely made up delivery estimates.

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I bought mine from tyre leader and they all arrived at the same time (despite being split into two orders) and quickly.

That said, I have heard similar issues with them from other members of this forum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got an email from mytyres essentially acknowledging my email but offering no resolution but to wait.

Put in a paypal claim this morning. I can escalate it to a "claim" 3 days before the delivery date which I think indicates that my expectations of delivery within a week is in line with Paypal own expectations of their merchants.

Avoid mytyres.co.uk - shocking service.

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have had excellent service from mytyres before with tyres turning up quickly and also enjoying an excellent returns policy / system.

I think it just gets a bit tricky when ordering staggered tyres, particularly in the bigger / less common sizes. Which makes me think that unless you go to a fitting station and buy from them based on stock (eg from kwik fit) then this is a risk we will all face and its more about luck of the draw than any one of the major online tyre dealers.

Still a PITA for you though. Hope you get it sorted quick and too your satisfaction

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Guys. We all should remember that GTR tyres are rare and unusual sizes and types and as such nobody other than a major supplier has them in stock. Kiwk fit certainly don't - they'd have to order them in just like everybody else if you popped into one of their garages.

How easy has it been to find the MPSS over the last year? Or the bridgies over the last 4-5 years?

Simply put, you're not gonna get GTR tyres super fast throughout the year. You're not buying a tyre for a car like a mondeo or Audi A4. Those tyre sizes are used on lots of different cars such that suppliers keep lots in stock as they are a high turnover item.

I've had this issue with tyres for my R35 ever since I bought it. I'm just used to it now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just to add to Martin's excellent and comprehensive review, I decided to go and clear my head :)

Tyres are the same combo as Martin's and filled with Nitrogen with 32 psi all round cold. Car was also 4 wheel aligned a few days earlier.

Drive was from Bromsgrove to Birkenhead and down to Mold (North Wales). Overnight there and down to Bala, across to Whitchurch towards Uttoxeter, then return home on the M6.

This gave a mix of (dreary traffic bound M6) motorway (N and S), A and B roads with lots of challenging bends and boring straights :chuckle:

First things noticed going to non runflats (and will be of no surprise), is the noise level reduction and increase in comfort. So:

Noise - massively reduced at all speeds and better able to hold a conversation at motorway speeds. Transformed the enjoyment of the car from my perspective.

Comfort - another great tick in the enjoyment box. Just goes to highlight how firm the OEMs are and their unforgiving ride quality. On motorway, I set the suspension to Comfort and it dealt with expansion joints amazing well. Jolting noise, yes, but not felt. I just leave it in Normal now and it's still better than the OEMs on Comfort, but with better control. Of course there is more lean in the corners but an increase in psi and switching to race helps alot.

Roadholding (Dry) - In a word, phenomenal :bowdown1:. However, I now wish I was running 34 psi all round as I experienced a bit of looseness in steering feel at higher speeds. Nothing to worry about more psi would have given me more confidence. Even after spirited driving the TPMS went up to 33 psi all round, so no big expansion like air. I still have "placebo" doubts about nitrogen:rolleyes:
There is no understeer as I found on the OEM Bridgstones in tighter corners. It's very neutral but I feel I can carry easily 10% more speed into corners without washing out.
I set off in Comfort (which I always ran in for the OEMs) but quickly changed to normal and for the tighter sections into race. In race, it was staggeringly good. Real feel to the steering which is lighter than before (less unsprung weight per corner) but not enough that you feel you are wearing a condom.

Roadholding (Wet)
- It did not rain, nor have I driven it in the rain beforehand but there was sections on the road to Bala and across to Whitchurch, where there was standing water. No issues. No aquaplaning. If felt planted. Maybe Martin can give a view on this as he had them on earlier.

Tramlining - OMG. None. :bowdown1: Really enjoyed the car on the twisties whereas before I would be fight the steering wheel. No sniffing out cambers and they track through true.

Fuel Economy - The Vorti Rs feel less road resistance than the OEMs, but again subjective. I tend to have the "feed me" light on at around 250 miles. See picture. Eventhough I'd done close to 340 miles, the trip was still suggesting I had another 70 miles. Note to myself. MUST DRIVE HARDER. I was pleasantly surprised by this. Bonus. :)

For those looking to move away from run flats, and can't get hold of MPSS, IMHO, look no further. :cool:

Highly recommended. :bowdown1:

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice write up Anil :thumbsup: Glad you are enjoying them.

Can't believe you got 340 miles out of a tank with still 60 or 70 miles left to go. Not sure if I am proud or ashamed of you? :nervous:

I drove through a storm the other day. I came to what seemed like a wall of extra heavy rain where the road became waterlogged with a good inch or so of water covering it. I slowed the car from 80 or 90 without issue, down to 50 - 60 as I hit this part of the road and whilst I felt the car lift up / go light I was still able to take more speed out with the vehicle under control and get down to about 30 or 40 which was appropriate.

The car handled it well and felt planted. I think I would have aquaplaned off the road with the Bridgestones on, so they get a big thumbs up from me for wet handling.

What I would like to see now if someone who is looking to replace their MPSS try these out and give a review as to how they compare.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks mate.

Be ashamed. I am :chuckle:

I would like to add further to the noise comment. The Vorti Rs, on concrete, make, what seems like a "flapping" sound. Almost as if there have a puncture. It may be that I need more pressure in them but the OEM Bridgstones would "roar" on the same surface.

I didn't like the "carbon fibre" effect on the side wall but not only has it grown on me, but a couple of people have commented how nice, and unusual, it is.

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I don't notice the concrete noise with mine and I ran 30psi in them until recently and am trying 34psi now. Both seem good to me. 34 a little harder and more compression over bumps. Not had a chance to push them at this psi though.

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I did have a scan in pdf format but is too big to attach and my IT skills mean I don't know how to get it into another format.

There are two options.

Vorti R, 265/35/ZR20 front and then 305/30/ZR20 rear

or the Vorti (harder compound):
stock sizes (255/40/20 and 285/35/20 which enables the front and rear axle tread patters to be used),

or you can go 285/35/20 square all the way round. But these will be the rear axle configeration which is not optimised for water disbursement (unlike the front axle tread pattern). Not sure how much of an impact this will have.

I know anil has bought some of these, I think the vorti R in 265/305 sizing and is getting them fitted in the next few weeks so should feedback then.

It's in the thread bud.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know there is an MPSS shortage and these seem like a viable option.

Anyone else tried these yet?
Ordered a set of 275 305 MPSS last Thursday off Tyreleader. Arrived Monday all good.
Keep looking on their site as they must be getting a few from Michelin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been having mega issues sourcing the MPSS 275/305 combination (the fronts are easy to get hold of, the rears not so much). Had a back order with ATS for nearly a month and today they told me they can no longer get the 305s direct from Michelin or any of their other suppliers. The MPSS 305 also aren't available from any of the online suppliers I've tried (Camskill, Tyreleader, Blackcircles, etc).

I think I'm in the group of the higher mileage owners here (having covered nearly 46,000 miles in the GT-R), and as a result I'm coming to the end of my 3rd set of tyres. All of my mileage is road/fast road based.

The car came with the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 600 DSST RFTs which I thought were "OK" but not very confidence inspiring in the wet, and certainly gave a hard, noisy ride. The Dunlops lasted 10830 miles.

I switched from those to a set of 285/315 Yokohama Advan Sports which were much more comfortable, and had a far more progressive loss of grip than the Dunlops - less peak grip in the dry but the Dunlops tended to suddenly let go. The Yokos performed better in the wet and despite the larger widths, tramlining was greatly reduced. I didn't notice any change in fuel consumption between the two tyres. The Yokos lasted 15492 miles.

From the Yokos I then switched to the slightly smaller setup with the 275/305 MPSS. These were quite a bit better than the Yokos (I think aided largely by the smaller sidewall) with better peak dry grip and similar, if not slightly better wet grip. The MPSS have certainly been my favourite of the three sets so far, and combined with a remap I've seen my mpg average go from 18.5mpg to 21mpg (averaged over the life of the tyres). From my experience I've found 33PSI fronts and 32PSI rear (cold) to be the best fit - I used a surface temperature reader across the tyres after a spirited drive to work out the optimal PSI resulting in even tyre heating (even heating = even contact usage = max grip). With regards to running a NRF at high speeds, I've had 190mph on the autobahn and they felt perfectly stable and safe. The MPSS have lasted around 19500 miles so far with about 3-3.5mm tread still left on them.

I'm very tempted now to try the Vreds (especially as they are quite a bit cheaper - if they're terrible then it's not the end of the world to burn through them and switch again). The 265/305 setup with the Rs seems the best of the options with the Vreds.

I made a list of all the theoretically possible tyre size combinations that could work on the GT-R with the OEM wheel sizes that should be fine with the drive system and TCS, etc. (Including the OEM sizing which probably isn't suitable for non run flat tyres):

255/40-285/35
265/35-305/30
275/35-305/30
285/40-315/35
285/40-285/40
285/35-285/35
265/35-295/30
275/35-315/30
285/30-335/25 (dubious, as 4.5% smaller overall diameter although nearest F/R match to OEM and the 335 on the rear OEM rims will arch the tyre somewhat - the 315 Yokos certainly did a bit)

Though I haven't bothered checking to see what actual tyre sets you can get across these size ranges. The bold ones are tried and tested setups from what I've seen people post on these forums.

If you want the Excel sheet I made (which shows the OEM -> new ratios, and the F/R ratios, along with adjusted speedo readings) it's on Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnimzi1dfxx0v7t/Tyre%20Size%20Comparison.xlsx?dl=0

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been having mega issues sourcing the MPSS 275/305 combination (the fronts are easy to get hold of, the rears not so much). Had a back order with ATS for nearly a month and today they told me they can no longer get the 305s direct from Michelin or any of their other suppliers. The MPSS 305 also aren't available from any of the online suppliers I've tried (Camskill, Tyreleader, Blackcircles, etc).
ATS did the exact same thing to me, the website claimed they were in stock, and weeks of chasing never got me anywhere other than timescales over 6 weeks. I was fortunate that I managed to get the rears from tyreleader but you've already tried them :(

Out of curiosity just tried searching for them in the USA and doesn't appear to be any there either. Fortunately mine are still quite new so not going to have to worry about this for a while but it's a shame as the michelins have been excellent.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great comments about these! Think i'll give them a go -question is can I leave the standard size mpss on the rear but go 265/35/20 on the front?

Im lost with all these tire sizes -car audio I can talk about till the cows come home but tires I am LOST haha

Thanks in advance

P

21 - 40 of 86 Posts