GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes that would be OK. I've kept the same branded pair on one axle and another branded pair on the other.

However, not sure if the clever electronics maybe a little fluxed by that?

How much life is there in the rears?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's been a while since I bought my tyres due to my own fault for forgetting my original appointment at "Garage D" in Watford, so it's been a few weeks since my last post.

I finally got my car back from having it's wheels re-painted and getting the Vorti R's installed. Incidentally, I don't know who Garage D use for their wheel refurbs and paintwork but the job they've done on restoring my Black Edition wheels is fantastic. Anyone with a Black Edition wheel paint match issue should go and get these guys to deal with it as it's a really good match and very reasonable price on getting the whole wheel repainted. Highly recommended.

They advised me that they filled them with regular air at 32 PSI although my TMPS is telling me it's nearer 36 PSI, which was the same pressure I had the OE Dunlops at with nitrogen. I'm going to play with the pressures a bit before getting them refilled with nitrogen - unless anyone wants to tell me why I shouldn't?

I've yet to scrub the Vorti's in and see how they perform with some spirited driving, but the initial impression of a vastly improved ride quality is absolutely brilliant. On my OE Dunlops I started every trip by sticking the suspension into "comfort" mode. No need to worry on the Vorti R's - the ride on normal suspension settings is still firm but feels so much more compliant.

Very early days at the moment but over the next few days I'll get to play with them a bit more and come back with some more feedback, but so far so good.

Phil

·
Registered
142 Posts
Robadob I would strongly urge you to try the vorti's. I had them fitted a couple of days ago and can only echo what has already been said about improved ride quality, reduced tramlining etc.

The vast majority who try mpss also rave about the benefits of the non run flat set up. It would be interesting to see how the vorti's compare to the mpss.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
It would be interesting to see how the vorti's compare to the mpss.
Therein lies the crux.

We really need someone who has used the MPSS to try these Vortis out and give us a decent comparison.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So I've had a weekend of mixed driving and I've also had them filled with nitrogen at 36PSI. I've driven around town, A roads, B roads and motorways and also had an oportunity to use LC.

In terms of outright grip it's very hard to tell them apart from the OE Dunlops, they're pretty decent. The softer wall is quite noticeable and going into a corner it lacks some of the directness and feels like it needs to be pushed in a little more firmly but it doesn't translate into understeer - it still corners like a GT-R should. Off-the-line they stretch-out and dig-in with no complaints or dramas, no TCU lights blinking like crazy spoiling the party. It might be that they need a couple more PSI to improve the initial turn-in but I'm relatively happy with how they are.

At £150 cheaper per wheel than OE Dunlops you have to ask yourself "Are a set of Dunlops worth the extra £600?" and I've got to say that for use as a day-to-day car I would say "no". Driving on the track may reveal something different but I'm finding that the Vorti R's have improved comfort considerably which just makes the car even easier to live with, and so on that basis they're a bargain. £750 for a full set of tyres on a GT-R? I spent more than that putting new tyres on my 370Z.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Nice update!
I'm currently running MPSS, but they appear to be difficult to get hold of ATM.
36psi on nitrogen, what warm/hot running temps are you seeing on the Vortis?
Also,what size did you go for?

Seriously tempted to try a set of these. But Cup 2s are getting good reviews also!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice update!
I'm currently running MPSS, but they appear to be difficult to get hold of ATM.
36psi on nitrogen, what warm/hot running temps are you seeing on the Vortis?
Also,what size did you go for?

Seriously tempted to try a set of these. But Cup 2s are getting good reviews also!
My Vorti R's are 265/35/ZR20 front 305/30/ZR20 rear. If you go for the harder Vorti then you can get them in stock sizes.

Unfortunately I haven't got any data on running temps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just an update - I went to order these and realised the mpss were only £30 more (per tyre) so went for those!

thanks for all that helped!

P

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
More good data / reviews coming in on these - thanks.

I have run between 30psi and 34psi and found more 'bounce' at the higher psi.

Fast road use at the moment, the temps seem to rise from around 30/31 to 35/37

·
Registered
125 Posts
More good data / reviews coming in on these - thanks.

I have run between 30psi and 34psi and found more 'bounce' at the higher psi.

Fast road use at the moment, the temps seem to rise from around 30/31 to 35/37
Last night I had the opportunity to administer a lesson to a GSXR-1000 and did notice a bit of bounce on higher-speed corners, but no so much that it prevented me from completing his education. :chuckle:

The data and reviews I'd seen previously suggested maybe running at the pressures you mentioned. I've started out at 36psi and the initial turn-in does take a little more effort and I can only think that taking a few psi out might make it a bit more pronounced. I'll give it a go though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Had these fitted yesterday, only did about 40 miles in them, but off to Scotland for a week next Tuesday, I'll report here when I'm back and covered over 2000 miles in them.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Guys, anyone got an updated review, especially in comparison to MSSPs? I cannot find the right size Michelins anywhere (if anyone knows here I can get the 305/30/20's please tell me!), and mine are down to the canvas, so need to get something else. I am particularly interested to know what they are like under heavy cornering load in the wet.....

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
try litchfields. My brother in law just got MPSS fitted by them. Will give his car a drive in the next couple of weeks so will have the comparison then.

I cannot wait to feel hoe light or heavy the MPSS feel.

As for fast wet weather corning, I must confess I don't tend to push when wet - not high speed anyway. Slower speed they are good and controlled with neutral feel.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
try litchfields. My brother in law just got MPSS fitted by them. Will give his car a drive in the next couple of weeks so will have the comparison then.

I cannot wait to feel hoe light or heavy the MPSS feel.

As for fast wet weather corning, I must confess I don't tend to push when wet - not high speed anyway. Slower speed they are good and controlled with neutral feel.
Cheers for the reply!

I did try Iain, but he didn't have them either! I've had the MPSS's before and I do like them....but the Vorti's are new to me!

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My brother in law tried the vortis when on run flats and was suitably happy enough to change to non runflats. He went for MPSS as Litchfields had them and were doing his service and also it would provide the answer as to how they compare to the vortis. I did tell him he should have gone straight for the Cups.

Something you could consider?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts