GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
More good data / reviews coming in on these - thanks.

I have run between 30psi and 34psi and found more 'bounce' at the higher psi.

Fast road use at the moment, the temps seem to rise from around 30/31 to 35/37
I've also found higher psi gives more bounce on the vorti's. I think people are ramping up the pressure to compensate for the softer side wall but I don't mind the more progressive feel that provides. I'm running 30psi cold and find that just fine (i don't track the car)

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
So, more miles down - I guess I must have covered 5500 / 6000 miles since getting them fitted.

They are wearing well with plenty of tread left on the inner edge. I prefer to run these with around 30/31 psi in

I have done a few sprint days at a small track (curborough) and also done a few runs at the Skyline vs GT-R showdown on a small airfield. I didnt get to do many runs as I was organising, but I did get a few on a small and tight gymkhana and a faster sprint track.

Mine was the fastest GT-R on the gymkhana and second fastest GT-R on the sprint (beaten by a lower powered GT-R on Yoyo 888s).

Whilst i didn't do very many runs, I did know the two layouts better than the majority of people running which could have had a bearing on the results. Either way though, the Vredestreins offer a good level of dry grip compared to any competition :thumbsup: They feel neutral as they did to start with which in my opinion is a nice characteristic for a tyre to have.

I did however nearly write a damming review of the vredestreins recently. I'm glad I held off.

You see I got the chance to drive a car with MPSS fitted. The feel through the steering wheel on the MPSS was superb. Much much meatier. The car also felt surer. I was 100% certain my next tyre purchase would probably be the MPSS.

Then however, two things happened. 1) I noticed the MPSS were the square profils (285/285) so wider front track and not direct comparison.

and 2) - my car had recently required the transmission to be removed. The car had the alignment done as part of this and just didnt feel quite right when I got it back (feeling very menacing and angry, very light steering feel and an over riding desire to go sideways everywhere). I initially just wondered if this was due to not having driven the car for a few weeks and needing to get used to it again.

I took the car back to litchfields for them to look at it and check the alignement and that everything was bolted up correctly. They did the check and the alignement was showing heavily cambered wheel settings. Their thoughts being that with my car having the KW coil over sleeve kit fitted, perhaps this hadn't settled quite right originally and affected the settings.

Anyway, they re-did it and set to a more sensible (but still more cambered than stock set up) and the car felt great again. Far more planted, no traction issues and importantly, meatier steering.

I need to perhaps compare and contrast with the MPSS shod car but I don't think there will be too much in it, particularly considering the wider track on the front.

I guess it's grip and steering feel that prompted Litchfields to go with the 275 front instead of the closer matching 265 which I run. I have checked and there isnt a 275 Vredestein option.

I still like the tyres. I am going to Silverstone for a track day on the 5th December and will write up how they did.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
So, more miles down - I guess I must have covered 5500 / 6000 miles since getting them fitted.

They are wearing well with plenty of tread left on the inner edge. I prefer to run these with around 30/31 psi in

I have done a few sprint days at a small track (curborough) and also done a few runs at the Skyline vs GT-R showdown on a small airfield. I didnt get to do many runs as I was organising, but I did get a few on a small and tight gymkhana and a faster sprint track.

Mine was the fastest GT-R on the gymkhana and second fastest GT-R on the sprint (beaten by a lower powered GT-R on Yoyo 888s).

Whilst i didn't do very many runs, I did know the two layouts better than the majority of people running which could have had a bearing on the results. Either way though, the Vredestreins offer a good level of dry grip compared to any competition :thumbsup: They feel neutral as they did to start with which in my opinion is a nice characteristic for a tyre to have.

I did however nearly write a damming review of the vredestreins recently. I'm glad I held off.

You see I got the chance to drive a car with MPSS fitted. The feel through the steering wheel on the MPSS was superb. Much much meatier. The car also felt surer. I was 100% certain my next tyre purchase would probably be the MPSS.

Then however, two things happened. 1) I noticed the MPSS were the square profils (285/285) so wider front track and not direct comparison.

and 2) - my car had recently required the transmission to be removed. The car had the alignment done as part of this and just didnt feel quite right when I got it back (feeling very menacing and angry, very light steering feel and an over riding desire to go sideways everywhere). I initially just wondered if this was due to not having driven the car for a few weeks and needing to get used to it again.

I took the car back to litchfields for them to look at it and check the alignement and that everything was bolted up correctly. They did the check and the alignement was showing heavily cambered wheel settings. Their thoughts being that with my car having the KW coil over sleeve kit fitted, perhaps this hadn't settled quite right originally and affected the settings.

Anyway, they re-did it and set to a more sensible (but still more cambered than stock set up) and the car felt great again. Far more planted, no traction issues and importantly, meatier steering.

I need to perhaps compare and contrast with the MPSS shod car but I don't think there will be too much in it, particularly considering the wider track on the front.

I guess it's grip and steering feel that prompted Litchfields to go with the 275 front instead of the closer matching 265 which I run. I have checked and there isnt a 275 Vredestein option.

I still like the tyres. I am going to Silverstone for a track day on the 5th December and will write up how they did.

keep us posted how they do in the cold/damp/wet

interesting to have an alternative, to mpss and mpsc2 for track

Chron

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
I am now able to conclude the review. I will write more in the coming week and also have some pictures of their final condition.... :nervous:

In a nutshell, they were destroyed by Silverstone. They melted (although not dissimilar to what I saw on other peoples tyres) but they also lost chunks of tread on the outside edges. Possibly delaminating as it was right round the outside edge, particularly on the near side front which I think gets the majority of abuse at that track. The rears had worn down leaving a uniform 1mm tread depth.

They felt fantastic at Silverstone and the delamination only occurred then, not before. Even with the delamination the car didn't feel like it lacked grip when driving with other GT-Rs which was pleasing.

What was a surprise was that I got through the tyres in just 6500 miles :nervous: This did include 2 small runway days and a dry day at Silverstone, although the bulk of the mileage would be on the road. Some fast road but to be honest the main stay of my road miles is just calmly commuting on main roads and motorway all well within the speed limit and not particularly ripping it up, so I would have liked for them to last for +10k.

That said someone I was chatting to at Silverstone had fitted brand new Nismo spec Dunlop runflats that morning and had burnt right through them such that there was 0% tread left.

Will write a bit more, add some pics and give an overall verdict in a few days. I have now fitted Cup 2's and will do a compare and contrast against the vortis too.

I would be interested to know how others have been getting on with their vortis and how they are wearing

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I am now able to conclude the review. I will write more in the coming week and also have some pictures of their final condition.... :nervous:
In a nutshell, they were destroyed by Silverstone. They melted (although not dissimilar to what I saw on other peoples tyres) but they also lost chunks of tread on the outside edges. Possibly delaminating as it was right round the outside edge, particularly on the near side front which I think gets the majority of abuse at that track. The rears had worn down leaving a uniform 1mm tread depth.
They felt fantastic at Silverstone and the delamination only occurred then, not before. Even with the delamination the car didn't feel like it lacked grip when driving with other GT-Rs which was pleasing.
What was a surprise was that I got through the tyres in just 6500 miles :nervous: This did include 2 small runway days and a dry day at Silverstone, although the bulk of the mileage would be on the road. Some fast road but to be honest the main stay of my road miles is just calmly commuting on main roads and motorway all well within the speed limit and not particularly ripping it up, so I would have liked for them to last for +10k
Will write a bit more, add some pics and give an overall verdict in a few days. I have now fitted Cup 2's and will do a compare and contrast against the vortis too.
I would be interested to know how others have been getting on with their vortis and how they are wearing
just as a comparison, I've had Michelin pilot sport cup2's (mpsc2) 265/305 XL on since april 2015 , done 8k road miles and 3 track days 2 dry , 1 wet and they have 4.2/4.4mm left. They came new with 6mm front and back.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/293562-michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2-anyone-using-them-4.html

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
As you can see, they have not stood up to a fast trackday.

front ns 2.jpg

front ns.jpg

front.jpg

rear 1.jpg

rear 2.jpg

I hadn't realised quite how bad they were or how low they were on the rears and have driven a few hundred miles since Silverstone (the car generally hibernates this time of year).

I have driven in the wet with the tyres like that and must say the wet performance was not the best, although still far superior to the Bridgestones. I found normal wet was ok but standing water at speed and the car was aquaplaning a fair bit, to the extent I backed off a lot of speed. Seeing the tyres explains the major drop off in wet performance although dry performance remained pretty constant throughout.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
CUP2s and already fitted :D

I ideally wanted to go for the R888s before getting CUP2s but the timing just didn't allow on this occasion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i had 285/315 r888 on stock wheels, now i have V's. I like them much better for every day use - not so noisy! as performance goes no question r888 stick much better.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mart, nice review & updates mate!
I guess the Vreds will be fine if just doing road/fast road.

Cup2s for me next, so keep us updated how they perform on road use.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks Iggy.

I had no issues with them following Curborough (small) sprint track and also the runway days we have done. In hindsight it would have been good to have taken tyre depth measurements before the events, atleast Silverstone. Although I didn't anticipate them burning out.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
car is still in hibernation so haven't put any miles on the cups, but will update this thread to give a view of the Vreds vs the CUPs.

Whilst I think about it, when doing the track day, the temps went from about 32psi cold upto about 42psi hot. I wonder if perhaps this was just a little too hot / high pressure and may have contributed towards the tearing / delamination of the tyre. If I had reduced the tyre pressure to keep it in the mid to high thirties perhaps the wear would not have been so extreme.

Food for thought should I do another track day.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Interesting....

Mart, do you fill with air or supposedly 100% nitrogen from one of the reputable tyre fitters?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just an update I had my first set vredestein fitted on my car since I bought it few months ago I have done over 1500 miles already and all I can say they are really good in wet and dry not sure high speed test yet on track if they safe over 200 mph anyone try it at that speed ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just an update I had my first set vredestein fitted on my car since I bought it few months ago I have done over 1500 miles already and all I can say they are really good in wet and dry not sure high speed test yet on track if they safe over 200 mph anyone try it at that speed ?
What's the speed rating of the Vreds?

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Interesting....

Mart, do you fill with air or supposedly 100% nitrogen from one of the reputable tyre fitters?
Just air Iggy. They were pretty stable on the road and the runway things we did and didnt seem to lose much pressure. It was only at silverstone where they got that hot

I have done some higher speeds on them but not that high. I also have my doubts that the staggered set up with 265/275 front and 305 rear will even get to 200 as the rolling diameter is quite a bit smaller than a 285 square or stock sizes.

I think they are y rated so should be over 186mph but on website it said over 300km
186mph is 300kmh give or take 1mph :chuckle:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm going to order these and will post an update if these are better than my All Season Dunlops.

These Dunlops stood up great after track days.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts