GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bawling: Get this after getting my car registered and serviced by me , changed the oil and oil Filter, Used Castrol Edge Sport Gold container, she has done about 1500 kms of kind smooth driving to get a feel of the car, then i was out sort of at a track day and driving hard up and down some bends the require a throw in and throw out of the car, like a windy left then right doing about an average of 140kms/h at the time hit the rev limiter through a corner and drove back down the same bends the same way, sadly though shortly afterward i hear a distinct knocking noise from the engine when i deaccelerate, and i park it and listen sure enough i get a knock knock knock when i am reving the car ?
So what happened here the car had oil full to the Mark,
Running 1.2 Bar boost on a N1 Spec engine N1 oil pump N1 water Pump, N1 Everything the car Has online done
20 000Kms Still as new ??
Im lost hurt and confused with no mechanics that really know what they are doing here i will have to learn to do the rebuild myself ?
Oil pressure sits at about 3 kpa ?
Appealing to Abbey Motorsport and Gt-Art in the uk at the moment for some form of training as to how to rebuild and repair my engine because i dont trust my local mechanics they have broken engines through and through ?
How could this honestly happen ? Please help me guys my mind is everywhere was it the shit oil i used cause its fully synthetic race oil ?
Was it the fact the oil was thrown to side of the sump when i was cornering and the oil pump sucked in Air ?
What could it be ?:bawling:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sorry to hear about this :(

The lateral G's have probably left you short of oil in some areas of the sump and the pickup probably could get any oil for short periods of time.
This is the reason why many people fit bigger sumps, or at least baffles.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sounds a bit far fetched that nissan's original sump and pickup setup would be so bad that it would result in starvation through such a moderate lateral G level. (I was surprised when i found out that NME didn't run extended sumps when they ran in the 24hr enduro races with falken in the 90's....in fairness though their one-way gated baffle setup was a work of art)

When you changed the oil, did you crank it over by hand (or on the starter with the plugs out) to get the oil pressure up before firing it up?

Gutted for you mate!

Where are you?
It may work out cheaper and less stressful to pull the engine out and send it over to the Uk for rebuild. Freight is pretty cheap if you are not in a hurry.

Ian

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over Rev on down shift

Could this be was just talking to some one and they say that because of a very fast down shift from third to second could have over revved the car past the limiter and run a bearing this is what i did because im used to my evo and thats how i used to drive till now, is this true nissan didnt place a prevention for the car going into a lower gear and causing a bearing knock which crushes the bearing from an over rev find this so hard to believe what should i do guys please im asking all of you that have had engine rebuilds what is the best bet ?
What should i do ?
help help help, on a cold start the oil pressure is at 2.3 kpa ?
should be higher so is that a bearing gone

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
High revs a left then right bend:rolleyes: thats how I lost my engine. A big capacity baffled sump is the best cure. Does not cost too much to ship the engine to your tuner of choice would just leave you to remove it from the car.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where to get a Big baffle sump from

Hi there guys still in sadness and state of shock at what has just happened i now look upon the People with knowledge to throw some input in here the more the better Hopefully guys in the field can help here and try tell me exactly what has gone wrong or what i did to actually break my engine this has got to be sad honestly ?
So a big Baffle sump will cure this ?
Considering this is a VSPECIINUR come guys i watched the videos the guy threw the car into some turns there not to hard but gees still ?
How about a high flow oil pump what are the better then N1 oil pumps out there i hear of a HKS high flow oil pump and of course a bigger baffle sump to accomodate the whole lot hand in hand but i want the best of both worlds im not going high power just want reliability here and i need the car to be able to handle a track of course thats why i bought a n1 spec where the hell did i got wrong dont get me wrong.
My Mitsubishi evo 4 could handle all i have thrown at my VspecIINur and More with change ? the car lasted me countless track days it did me wonders threw it into corners the very same ones at a fast speed then this car and she never ever ever broke this isnt right.
Could the theory of bad oil be the cause ?
Could the theory of the over rev be the cause too ?
why make a 4 FOUR WHEEL DRIVE car that can handle a corner at max G's and not handle oil properly this has got to be DUMB please some one enlighten me ?
am i asking for too much ??
a nissan skyline the ultimate gtr the car that is japans iconic car that kill almost everyother car on the road with out a problem and same for a track ?
PLEASE Guys help give me information i need to put my mind at ease?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
a common trick when running on the track is to overfill the oil past the mark. Without an oil pan baffle you definitely could have had a moment of oil starvation. And there is nothing on any car that will protect against an overrev - the overrev could have broken your oil pump in a split second. Is your engine holding oil pressure now?

Don't feel bad. You just knackered a bearing or two. I melted six pistons...:(

·
Registered
67 Posts

By looking at this diagram, and picturing what the G forces must have been doing to your oil with a quick right left--it does look like you possibly could have suffered from oil starvation. What were your the oil temps at, just wondering how thick or thin of a oil you were using.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Sorry to read this, I hate reading about engine failures. My Nur engine used to always suffer from oil surge under hard acceleration.

Since the pickup is at the front of the sump, on hard acceleration with 500bhp ish the oil would travel to the back of the sump and the pressure would drop to about 2.5bar at worst case in 1st-3rd gears at high revs, especially when the oil level was below high.

On track I used to top mine up to the notch well above the H mark, on the road I kept it on H and checked regularly. If you combined cornering with hard acceleration then I guess it could quite easily suffer oil starvation. It's a poor design and one you'd think they'd have addressed on a Nur but then I'm sure its adequate for 280bhp.

It's expensive to change just the sump but if you don't it costs a lot more. I just kept mine well topped up until the engine came out at which point I fitted the Trust Sump with extended pickup which well and truly cures the problem.

If its any consolation you would have had to pull the engine out to cure this and fit a proper sump anyway, hopefully the damage is just bearings and won't cost you a lot more. You could always fit a step 2 HKS RB28 kit in there which are available at reasonable prices in Japan while the engines out and make the most of it!!

Nito

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nito

Thankyou very much for that information that sounds about right, to be honest it wasnt the fact that i accelerated hard i think it might have been the corners ? Do you not think it was a over Rev ?
Please Pm me if you have Msn or at least skype i would love to talk if you have the time ?
More so where can i get these extension bits from and will they make sure that if i do over rev the engine going into a bend by mistake too fast that this wont happen again ?
Please let me know where i could possibly get these parts from as i would like to get as much sorted as i can while the engine is out ?
Im thinking of fitting a aqua mist system and also Arp stud bolts or tomei ?
Also thinking of doing the timing belt and Fitting Alc Race bearings for the bottom End ?
Please let me know what you think of this setup ?
Thankyou once again for your much needed input i was dying for some answers ?
Sad that my car is off the road though and what else should i watch out for when i take the engine apart ? What tolerances should i check on the crank ?
and how would i test the N1 Oil pump to see if i didnt cook it ?
thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts