GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

FIrst post here. Im after a bit of help/advice. Ive decided to stop wasting money on my hot hatch and go for a dream car in the shape of a skyline. Really want an R33 as i prefer the shape to the 32 ( please dont flame me! ). What i want to know is whats the difference between the gt-s & gt-R? seems like the s is half the price! also if i get an s ( which is cheaper to insure as 25, 0 points and 5 ncb ) can i fit the GTR kit to make it look nicer and would it cost a lot? any advice is much appreciated as i really want to find out as much as possible before splashing out my hard earned!

Cheers

Marc

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
The basic difference between the S and the R is that the S is rear wheel drive and the R is 4 wheel drive.

then you get onto different engines GTS-t (2.5 straight 6 single turbo) GTR (2.6 straight 6 Twin turbo)

different brakes, interior and so on.

be careful when looking at GTS's though as there are a few vairents - eg a GTS-t has a 2.5 turbo engine, but a GTS has a 2.0 non turbo (is that right?)

I would say that as a real drivers car with non of this poncy 4 wheel drive to make up for driver inability :p :D that the GTS-t is the one to go for, after all that's the one we brought!

From memory I think a GTR kit for a GTS will set you back about £1200 plus fitting and painting.

Simon

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
R33 GTS 25t - Buy one!

The GTS-25t is a 2.5 litre straight 6 with a single turbo. Has 250hp as standard, 4WS, RWD. A fast, responsive car with the price advantage that you've spotted, plus the fact that a lot of GT-R tuning parts will fit it. I had one for three and a half years and it ran like a charm. A neat exhaust option is a second hand GT-R exhaust, which sharpens the response & is dead cheap second hand, as many Skyline tuners have a few out back. As for making it look like a GT-R, check out Hyper Sports & Racing at www.hypersr.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mark

Hi there - and welcome.

I've had an R33 GTS-t (single turbo) for nearly four years now - loved it when I got it, and still love it now.

It already had a GTS-t body kit on - not a GT-R kit though - which (I think, obviously) looks fine.

One thing I have found with the Rear Wheel Drive is that you MUST get a decent set of tyres - I use Falken FK451's - otherwise it is a little tail-happy!!!!!

Si

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cheers for the responses guys, helping make my mind up ( if that was needed! :D ). So 33 GTS it is. Is there anything i should look out for with these? weakspots of any sorts. Still have yet to be in one yet mind! lol. was originally looking at celicas and the like but figured for a little extra cash i may as well go for better as i would only get bored and upgrade anyway!

So am i best to try and look out for a kitted up GTS then as getting the kit and fitting it looks pretty expensive! :( Any hints on best places to look, bearing in mind im living near worthing in west sussex ( south coast ) but do go to oxford every other weekend.

Cheers & sorry for all the questions.

Very friendly this board :D

Marc

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
BB

It really comes down to money and what you can get for it...

THERE ARE A HUGE AMOUNT OF DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE GTR AND GTS....it is more than just interior, engine....

Most of the clever stuff for the GTR Vspec went not only into the engine and trubos but mostly the chassis, drivetrain, electronic diffs, torque split control, split second response times etc.

The GTR is the Godzilla or monster that everyone raves about and the ones that get pushed to mega horsepower. It has the active diff and can transfer power from 2wd at the rear to 4wd all round. Again there is a diff between the Vspec and no vspecs....

GTRs are more expensive to buy and insure but that stands to reason. Remember they were 52 grand to buy new!!!

Just depends on what you want, what you can afford to buy and insure...

I am lucky enough to be able to get a GTR and love it to bits.

Good luck hunting and don't forget to get it checked by a skyline tuner in your area...

NLW

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
yeah well

we shan't go there eh!!

Yours, Mr A snob.

PolarB: I have booked a track day on the 11th October not a million miles away from you...Hullavinton J17 off the M4...89 pounds for the day and open pit lane.
Booked it with www.motorsport-events.co.uk.
Take a look and they look like a good bunch at some good rates.

Other dates/venues:
Friday 11th October Hullavington £89
Saturday 26th October Bassingbourn £89
Friday 8th November Kemble £79
Friday 15th November Hullavington £89
Saturday 23rd November Bassingbourn £89
Friday 6th December Hullavington £89

May see you there...

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
LOL @ NLW ;)

You shouldn't have taken it personally mate, although I like your new Pro-GTS outlook ;)

Marc,

You need to watch your GTS's and your GTS-t's and your GTS-25t's as they are all a tad different under the hood.

The GTS comes in a 2l and 2.5l, the GTS-t is 2l turbo, and the GTS-25t is 2.5l turbo.

The 2.5l turbo makes 250bhp stock, not sure of the figure for the 2l turbo, but I think it is just over 200bhp. The fuse box will mostly have fuses in place for the ABS, although the ABS is not likely to be there on early cars, check for the brake modulator on the passenger side of the engine compartment with all the brake pipes running to / from it.

A very light ticking noise at idle is normal and is caused by the valve lifters, this is acentuated when running thicker oil say 15w50, and I am assured it is OK. Check if possible to ensure that it hasn't been run on 0w40 as this is too thin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts