GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Gez, few teething problems to be honest. Blew the centre diff, clutch failed, Radiator packed up last month and few other bits and bobs! but so far I am still pretty happy. These things are all because of the cars age, not because of any ill treatment by you or Durzel.

Do you know why it has the inlet and exhaust temps on the MFD? I thought that was Vspec only? weird! but very pleased!

More power needed now... going to let RKtuning look after it. Been really impressed with his work on her so far and amazed by his prices.

I'm on track at Silverstone in her on Sunday. Can't wait! The suspension which is awful on the road is superb on the track. Really really good!

Got a Carbon front splitter for her now, some Apexi cone filters and the speedo has been refaced into MPH which I like.

I work in London so you could have a blast in it next time you are in London perhaps?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Porkie; seems like Julian sorted you out. Can you drop me a PM if you don't mind of your experience.

MFD; maybe because it has a upgraded Nismo boards?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hello mate,

Yes the MFD was upgraded but no tto the NISMO spec. Power was pretty good on the car considering the mods but always know that the cats and the lack of induction kit were a limitng factor...

I would think that all you need is some noce cams, iprated fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator to get closer to the 600 mark.

I am in london full time now. Where about do you work??? I also got another 33 to run around in..

Regards

Gez

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I work at Broadgate. By the Ice rink matey.

How much power would I get by ditching the Cats? would it need remapping then I take it?

Here is a pic from Sunday at Silverstone. The brakes were in BIG trouble after 5 laps! Tyres were struggling after 2! :chuckle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/frog1/cars/shows/2006/Sept-Trax/Others/PICT3274.jpg

I really do need some more power! what about pistons? when do the pistons start to struggle? Would be good to meet up so you can tell me more about the cars history.

·
Registered
936 Posts
It you ditch the Cat, you will need a partial re-map to be on the safe side.

As for the IC cooling, I went for a Nitrous cooling spray which is linked to a full throttle sensor and has a seperate on/off swich and purge. I mounted a 15lb tank in the boot and will easily last 3 or 4 track days. Cheaper than a new IC and less hassle to modify the front of your car.

Stock pistons are good to 600 bhp with good mapping.

If you let me know the spec of the car, I could give you some pointers, or look at my spec list below to see what I have done.

Nik

·
Registered
936 Posts
Very good spec, and really wel upgraded.

One thing I have found is that these GTR's are very hot, and so I have fitted gearbox coolers etc and the Nitrous spray bar to the IC. Its gerat to have 500+ horses, but the running temps need to be controlled (even by say fitting a larger radiator etc)

I designed a full gearbox/transfer box cooling system - do a search and you will see how it was done.

I am running 500bhp and the IC spray bar is good. You can use CO2 or Nitrous (CO2 is cheaper). You could go one stage furher and run say a wet 25 shot of Nitrous into the intake and this will cool down the intake (you wil need re-mapping again). You are not really using the Nitrous for the extra bhp (you will get of course say 20+ extra in rthe example above) but purely for the cooling effect of wet Nitrous.

Many on here will frown at the use of Nitrous - but hey, it works!

Nik

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Porkie......you have pm mate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Nik, funny you should mention cooling. I just fitted a MUCH larger radiator two weeks ago as it happens. The standard one really couldn't hack it and I was seeing temps over 100 degrees if I cruised at over 90mph!

With new ProAlloy rad temps did not go over 87 even hooning around Silverstone last week!

I know Nitrous works and if I was dragging the car or competing with it then I would definately use it. but its a road car really and I just want a bit more power...

will search for cooling mods of gearbox, thanks. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Porkie said:
Thanks Nik, funny you should mention cooling. I just fitted a MUCH larger radiator two weeks ago as it happens. The standard one really couldn't hack it and I was seeing temps over 100 degrees if I cruised at over 90mph!

With new ProAlloy rad temps did not go over 87 even hooning around Silverstone last week!

I know Nitrous works and if I was dragging the car or competing with it then I would definately use it. but its a road car really and I just want a bit more power...

will search for cooling mods of gearbox, thanks. :)
Understood.

I just use mine on the raod, and found the IC spray bar to be a good low cost compamise. I also have Nismo water spray jets fitted on mine. Using the water and Nitrous on the IC really cools the the intake down.

The Nitrous is only sprayed on full throttle and so a 15lb bottle will last you ages. It just saves modding the front bumper if you go for a huge new front IC.

Nik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts